what winch???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im running the 12000pound domin8r winch from tigerz11 shop http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ so far no problems with it only really used it once to pull a car out who got stuck. However the guys in 4WDAction use it and rekon they have never had one fail and they still are getting there new rigs done with them on it. Pretty cheap too.

What is the difference between wire and rope on a winch besides weight. I cam across a runva 9500lb winch not the 11xp... And its 600 bucks with wire and a 8hp motor not the 6.5hp like the runva xp11 and that is also more expensive... Help

Ive had the 12000lb Kingone and was very happy with it, actually took it from one D40 and installed it on the second D40 and then that ute was written off and that winch went with it.
When it came time to replace it i went for the Runva, better price with a great warranty.
infact they are one of if not the only company to warrant the winch if its been under water, 99% of companies have in the FINE print "warranty is void if any sign of water ingress is present"
The seals and everything that are in the RUNVA are all top notch and its why they are so confident in their warranty.

Tibour by all reports are good to but i think they do a 10000lb and it comes with cable not dyneema , and im not sure you have a choice so if you want rope i think you have to buy it and the alloy fairlead separately?

For the money Runva for the win in my books.

What is the difference between wire and rope on a winch besides weight. I cam across a runva 9500lb winch not the 11xp... And its 600 bucks with wire and a 8hp motor not the 6.5hp like the runva xp11 and that is also more expensive... Help

rope has allot of benifets over cable,

Weight, rope is almost 9kg light,
Strength, rope is stronger over cable in the same diameter,
Safety, if a rope breaks it basically falls to the ground.
if the rope breaks you can splice it or even tie a knott in it to get you out of trouble,
rope floats,
rope wont get big wire splinters,
cable kinks,
rope has no memory so when unspooled it doesnt end up coiling up in a big mess,
easy to maintain,
doesnt rust,
easy to spool and unspool.
the list goes on

the only downside ive read about rope is it can get dirt and grit in it and weaken it. easy fix, just maintain it and keep it clean

rope has allot of benifets over cable,

Weight, rope is almost 9kg light,
Strength, rope is stronger over cable in the same diameter,
Safety, if a rope breaks it basically falls to the ground.
if the rope breaks you can splice it or even tie a knott in it to get you out of trouble,
rope floats,
rope wont get big wire splinters,
cable kinks,
rope has no memory so when unspooled it doesnt end up coiling up in a big mess,
easy to maintain,
doesnt rust,
easy to spool and unspool.
the list goes on

Thanks heaps Nathan... Rope it is. Hey i have a arb commercial steel bar wicnh compatible... Will the alloy fairlead work on it. If not all bars cheers.

the only downside ive read about rope is it can get dirt and grit in it and weaken it. easy fix, just maintain it and keep it clean

Ive been running rope now for about five years and no probs, all i aver do is hose it off, if i winched through major slop i may unspool it and hose the entire 30meters but i would say i have done that once.

Some people say it weakens the rope but as it works on the principal of thousand of tiny fibres to make up all the strength a few broken strands here or there really makes no difference, in fact the dyneema rope can have more then 15% of it fibres broken and still maintain almost full strength.

There is also a winch rope maintenance thread on here i started last year or so, i took photos of my old rope and then opened it up to expose the internal fibres and you could see that the dirt had not reached the inner part of the rope.
When the rope is under strain nothing can penetrate the fibres as it becomes so solid its almost like one strand not thousand of tiny strands.

Thanks heaps Nathan... Rope it is. Hey i have a arb commercial steel bar wicnh compatible... Will the alloy fairlead work on it. If not all bars cheers.

It should be fine, although you may need an "offset" fairlead to get the rope to come through the centre of the slot.
I used an offset one on my ARB bar but didnt need to on my current TJM bar.

I also had to chop about 10mm of each end of the offset fairlead to fit in the gap of the ARB bar but no need on the TJM, only minor things though.

It should be fine, although you may need an "offset" fairlead to get the rope to come through the centre of the slot.
I used an offset one on my ARB bar but didnt need to on my current TJM bar.

I also had to chop about 10mm of each end of the offset fairlead to fit in the gap of the ARB bar but no need on the TJM, only minor things though.

Sweet cheers mate. Thanks heaps

I have a grande 12'000. Used it quite often through river crossing and so forth and it's still fit as a fiddle.

try 4wd supacentre they have great deals!

thanks to all the people out here that gave me advice etc. it was very helpful as usual and I picked up my new Runva XP11 today for the truck. with the offset fairlead for $650 all up. so I happy and cheers

thanks to all the people out here that gave me advice etc. it was very helpful as usual and I picked up my new Runva XP11 today for the truck. with the offset fairlead for $650 all up. so I happy and cheers

Just remember to unspool it and re-spool it once a month or so to keep it running good, they say that is all that is needed for average maintenance schedule and if you do that it keeps all the grease moving around instead of all settling at the bottom.

I unspool mine with the winch in reverse for the first half of the line then knock it into neutral and free spool the second half.
Then to spool it back on i do it under a light load, eg- car on a flat ground with the hand break slightly applied, by doing this you allow the rope to be wound on tight and when you use it in anger your rope wont slip around the drum and bind up on you, it also makes unspooling it allot easier.

Just remember to unspool it and re-spool it once a month or so to keep it running good, they say that is all that is needed for average maintenance schedule and if you do that it keeps all the grease moving around instead of all settling at the bottom.

I unspool mine with the winch in reverse for the first half of the line then knock it into neutral and free spool the second half.
Then to spool it back on i do it under a light load, eg- car on a flat ground with the hand break slightly applied, by doing this you allow the rope to be wound on tight and when you use it in anger your rope wont slip around the drum and bind up on you, it also makes unspooling it allot easier.

Will do mate ;)

Back