zd30 struggling to start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattewjvdw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've recently started having a starting issue with my 2002 zd30 d22

It used to start up almost instantly, but now it can sometimes take up to 30 sec of cranking before it starts
When it does then start i get a bunch of smoke out the back

So far I have checked that I am getting power to my glow plugs, so its not the glow plug relay - I haven't yet checked the individual plugs though

Also, a couple of weeks ago I put in some injector cleaner, and it began starting easier for a bit (starting after like 5 - 10 sec of cranking), but has now began going downhill again

Is it worth me still checking my glow plugs, or does it sound like my injectors are screwed, or maybe something else?

See the attached videos of me starting

Thanks

doesn't sound like glow plug problem.
i suspect its sucking air into the fuel. you can try priming the filter and push a fair bit of fuel through and see how it starts.
i would start with a new fuel filter, make sure you change all the o rings. then put a bit of clear fuel line after the filter and see if you get air bubbles in the fuel. quite often its the primer seal that fails.

Thanks for the quick response
I tried pumping the primer, and it went very hard to the point that I couldn't pump it anymore after only 3 pumps. Trying to start after this didn't result in any improvement, was still about 30 sec of cranking before it started.
Also, if it is just an air in the fuel line issue, why would the injector cleaner have helped the issue for a little bit?

injector cleaner may have swelled some of the rubber o rings etc.

what color smoke does it put out?

once started, if you stop and restart do you have the same problem?

As in the videos in my first post, the smoke is mostly white with a little bit of black at the end.
Once I have started, it will start again almost instantly for the rest of the day, but then starting again the next morning it will take a long time again

sorry, it seems that if I start it, then turn it off and leave it a while then try to start again, it takes a long time to start.
If I start it, drive around a little bit, then turn it off and try to start again, it will start up instantly

i would check the glows. thats easy to do. unscrew the rail and put multi meter on. its possible its dropped a few but it sounds to good for dead glows.
failing that then clear air hose. check for air being sucked in. check fuel hoses for cracks, even splits at the ends. also the spill line.
the other way is to rig up a fuel pump like a holley or carter down by the tank. run that and try starting.
air getting sucked in is a very very common problem.
also make sure you have the right fuel filter. i think it was wix that had their listing incorrect. there is a few different ones that fit.

Hey everyone,

I've recently started having a starting issue with my 2002 zd30 d22

It used to start up almost instantly, but now it can sometimes take up to 30 sec of cranking before it starts
When it does then start i get a bunch of smoke out the back

So far I have checked that I am getting power to my glow plugs, so its not the glow plug relay - I haven't yet checked the individual plugs though

Also, a couple of weeks ago I put in some injector cleaner, and it began starting easier for a bit (starting after like 5 - 10 sec of cranking), but has now began going downhill again

Is it worth me still checking my glow plugs, or does it sound like my injectors are screwed, or maybe something else?

See the attached videos of me starting
View attachment 38471
View attachment 38472

Thanks
Mine was doing this after I did glow plugs it was wearing injectors.all fixed

I've tried testing the glow plugs, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
I disconnected the rail that connects all of the plugs, and am measuring the resistance between each glow plug and a ground point on the block.
My multimeter is showing OL on all of the plugs, so are they all dead, or am I measuring wrong?

I've tried testing the glow plugs, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
I disconnected the rail that connects all of the plugs, and am measuring the resistance between each glow plug and a ground point on the block.
My multimeter is showing OL on all of the plugs, so are they all dead, or am I measuring wrong?
Wrong setting

My multimeter only has one auto ranging resistance setting, and touching the probes together it reads 0.2 ohm, and will measue other resistances fine

Also just checked with another multimeter which reads "1" when it is open circuit.
Touching the probes together read 1.3 ohm, but measuring across each of the plugs gave me "1" again, so open circuit

Also just checked with another multimeter which reads "1" when it is open circuit.
Touching the probes together read 1.3 ohm, but measuring across each of the plugs gave me "1" again, so open circuit
make sure your getting a good connection. glow should be 0.5 tho. they typically fail by open circuit.
the other way is connect a light bulb to it.

make sure your getting a good connection. glow should be 0.5 tho. they typically fail by open circuit.
the other way is connect a light bulb to it.
Pul them out and hook em to a battery. Also see if they are wet will also give you some indication if injectors are leaking down.

That cranking sounds a bit slow to me. I recall when I replaced my starter motor I was surprised at how quickly it turned over to what I had grown used to
How old are the battery and starter motor?
If you can crank for 30 seconds straight it is probably not the battery though

When it's cold, try starting with either a new battery,or jump starting from another running vehicle. Some diesels need a certain rpm of cranking to start efficiently.

Back