QD32 Alternator options.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QD32Pig

1997 D22 QD32 DUALCAB
Reaction score
Hey all ive got a 97 d22 with a dirty qd32 and its set up for touring.
When im cranking everything full blast, (spotties, lightbar, music, aircon) its putting a noticable load on the battery and car and its sagging the voltage to around 13.2-13.4 down from 13.9 at idle with everything turned off.
even the lights alone make a noticeable sag to 13.5.
Now im aware these have a pretty pissweak alternator standard of 60A which isnt really great for a 4wd, considering i have a 12v winch, high output air compressor that draws 90A and a DcDc charger that isnt even hooked up yet that will putt 18-19A when turned on.
Im really concerned the Alternator cant really keep up with the demand of things like night driving in summer with Ac and lights on.
Is there any bolt in options for a Alternator upgrade? i think i seen frontiers with a qd32 have a 130A alternator, they look the same in the pictures but its hard to tell if they will just bolt in.
Ive also seen the 100A ones on ebay and the like, but unsure if they are genuinely 100A units and not just a 60-70A one with false advertising.
Id like to get back above 14.0 ideally 14.2v with no load on the battery, my current one tops out at 13.8-9v with nothing on and i feel like it is deteriorating as it used sit at 14.0 no load. thanks for any answers provided already got a bunch of great tips here from lurking but i decided it was time to make an account and join the forum :)

have a chat with auto sparky or search the databases/catalogues. there will be other vehicles that use similar alternators.

have a chat with auto sparky or search the databases/catalogues. there will be other vehicles that use similar alternators.
yeah thought that might be the best way to go about it cheers, just figured id throw out the feelers to look for a known solution, I will ask a few local shops for any advice, but the 100amp ebay ones are looking pretty good the more i think about it. is there anyway to check the amps being produced? just a clamp multimeter? and does anyone know what rpm alternators should be outputting their full amperage? would swapping to a smaller pulley do anything or will more rpm on the alternator do more harm than good? i spose these are all questions for a sparky haha but you never know :) plenty of smart people on here never know ya luck haha

the output is also limited by the regulator rating, ie spin it to fast you will blow the regulator. eg 60 amp regulator is not going to like 90 amps being pushed through it.
the other thing that helps is fitting a bigger battery. that helps with things that draw a lot for a short time. it won't help with things that are constantly on.

Back