Taking out chipit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkarlos

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Its been a long while since I was here last.
I am thinking of taking my Chipit system out and reverting back to factory spec
because my EGT is averaging pretty high these days. Even with the chip disabled and running on standard nissan tune, EGT's are still climbing as high as 500c cruising at 100 k's. I am taking the nav into being checked for any problems and or damage that may have been done. Its a scary thought.
I didnt even know that the chipit guys went bust until I enquired yesterday with the problems I am having. I must admit, I have never let the EGT's pass 560c and I would back off if it got that high. I have been driving around with the chip turned off over the summer months to help keep the temps down.
I think I am just put off now from any chip mods and if I can get back to factory spec with out too much fuss I should be happy with that.
I would appreciate any thoughts and experience about this scenario and if any others out there have had the same issues.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

The egr system clagging up the intake could be why egts are rising, did you block it? Otherwise maybe boost leak?

Yeah the egr is blocked. But not with a blocking plate. The installer did it some other way. I think he said he blocked the egr through the dump pipe. I still can't see where this was done by looking at it. Anyway, gonna get this sorted one way or the other. I had a suspicion that it could be a problem caused by clogging egr, only because once I was driving, got to an intersection, then I had to get on the pedal to get out of some trouble coming my way. Holy crap, the amount of black smoke I blew out the back was astonishing. It never did that before!

Interesting you mention this. I have a chip it package aswell. Two things first thought. Are you running a bigger exhaust? Have you fitted a boost controller?

I run chip it, boost controller, beau exhaust, larger intercooler. I get high egts aswell sometimes around the 550 mark buy that's giving it berries up hill with weight. I have seen 630 at once and the safety switch kickf in stopping the chip from working till egts cooled down.

Little more detail may help with what other mods you have so we can see if it's really a chip issue or lack of other mods necessary to make it work.

Also the egr can't be blocked at the dump only at the egr system which is across the front of the motor
Russ

No other mods other than chip and egr mod (or maybe not egr mod either by the sounds of things although the installer swears he blocked it) I have my chip-it auto de tuner set at 565c so I have never been higher than that.

I'd start with blocking your egr properly. Cant be blocked at the dump. Do you have a catch can fitted? You could have carbon build up in your intake manifold

Chips are pointless without exhaust and boost controller to go with it. No wonder your egts are sky high all the time. Mine are 330deg at 100kph with 32" tyres.

Maybe try egr block properly, and if budget allows for exhaust and controller would see you better fuel economy, egts etc

No catch can. Hmmmm, it does sound like carbon build up doesn't it. Only because this has been a gradual thing and because of the black smoke when I had to tramp it. Is this a major thing or can it be fixed easily enough???

Firstly where is the EGT probe fitted?, there is a possibility your readings are false. Have you disabled the chip with the bypass plug?, If so it is running on standard tune, the figures you quote are high for a cruise at 100kph. Also the EGR mod sounds sus if the installer refers to the dump pipe, sounds like he means the sensor probe. The smoke on heavy acceleration is fairly normal on most 2.5 D22's. I would be going to a tuner that can correct A/F Ratio's and run it on the dyno and scan for any troublesome codes. That would be my first choice rather than dealing with Nissan, also fitting a good exhaust as Rusty suggested will help immensely.

The probe is fitted post turbo. I had a look where it is physically fitted and it is way down the pipe on the bend before it straightens out. Yeah I have an appointment with a diesel guy in town that is set up to do dyno tuning so I will sort this shit out one way or another.

I also disabled the chip via an inline toggle switch that I set up and place in the cab so there is no power going to the chip when it is switched off.

That probe is pretty far down the pipe...i think i would be getting concerned...mine is fitted pre turbo and i often see near 800°c but saying that....in stock form towing up a hill i could see 800°c anyway....d40 tho...
Like happy john said fit the blank test plug and take it for a drive and see where you temps are at...then remove the chipit wire harness and test again...
In the past ive had problems with the fuel rail pressure sensor plug not seating correctly/dirty contacts...this always resulted in a low fuel pressure reading there for the ecu would bump up rail pressure unnessesarly...(lots of smoke on take off) and it would eventually pop the pressure relief valve on the back of the rail if it wasnt attended to..
Other thoughts are a dirty intercooler?...clogged air filter will also bump my egts up...clogged exhaust/cat?
You got to get the gas in and the gas out without restriction to keep the egt gauge in the happy spot.

I also disabled the chip via an inline toggle switch that I set up and place in the cab so there is no power going to the chip when it is switched off.
Hey mate from late 2012 the chip sources it's power via the rail sensor, have you positive and negative leads to the chip or just an earth?, if it only has an earth this is one of the later models. Just curious as to how you isolated it, I can disconnect the earth and it is still powered via the rail sensor.

Sounds like you have done all the performance mods in reverse, a chip should be the last thing you fit. Short term fix can be fitting a manual boost controller ($80 for a turbos smart one). Upping the boost to 18 - 19 psi will lean out your AFR's and drop peak cylinder temp.

As previously started pull the intercooler off and check the intake manifold, you will most likely find a heap of black crap from the crankcase vent mixing with the EGR gasses

Latest posts

Back