2004 d22 engine tapping, slow start and smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will melrose

Reaction score
Hi there. I own a 2004 Navara D22 2.5
It has 126000 miles on the clock and I am concerned about the sound of the engine and trying to diagnose. Can anyone help!

The engine has a slow start, you have to turn it over for about 5 seconds before it splutters in to action. Then there is greyish white smoke from the exhaust and a tapping knocking noise from the engine that has been getting louder over the past year. At first I thought nothing of it and now it has reached a volume of concern!

Any help of diagnoses appreciated, thanks!!

I'm no master but I'm a problemsolver. My car acts like that when it's low on battery, without the ticking.

What engine do you have?
Does the ticking ever stop?
Does the sound ever change?
When engine gets warm?
Sure it's from the engine?
Not from any belt wheels?
Last engine oil/filter change?
Are your exhaust pipes ok?
Is your battery/batteries ok?

If it stops it might be the exhaust manifold. If it's from engine it might be the valvetrain. Can be alot of things. Oil pressure. Bad oil, low oil. Low voltage. Since it has increased I guess it's more wear than broke.

But first, I would check the battery voltage, resting and with engine running. And check for leakage of engine oil or exhaust.

Latest posts

Back