NO-LIMIT Tuning chip from Germany

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I never doubted that the boost would enlarge the I/C pipes BUT, since my little experiment of wrapping them temporarily with cloth tape I am convinced of a huge amount of expansion.
I only cut short sections of tape at a time, and only overlapped the join by 2". As good as the tape quality is, it is stretching it and slowly coming off (pulled back by more than 1/2" already) . So I'm off to buy good hard pipes and joiners.

Last edited:
Hi, I can only see common rail (2.5) listed on ebay and on their website. Did you get one for the ZD30 non common rail??
I was hanging out for a chipit chip, but a $150 chip might tide me over until I can justify to myself the need for a $1200 chip.
Cheers,
Bohun

I'll answer my own question here in case anyone else is interested. They do a chip for the ZD30 non CRD. It connects to the pump and ECU, so assume from Northsides comments that perhaps it adjusts the signal going from the ecu to the spill valve control unit.

Cost 159 delivered. They are sending me the wiring diagram.

Seeing as I have a 2.5" exhaust and 80 series air box, I think a chip that adds a bit more fuel would be OK. So I am very tempted to give it a go. Would prefer to have a pyro gauge in first though, and an intercooler....

If only I could find the time! the race car is getting closer and closer to being finished though :)

There is an article (possibly an infomercial in disguise) in a magazine I am reading that describes the problems with chips that monitor the EGT's and determining what temperatures are actually safe and for what periods.

So many things to consider and try to understand.

Howdy Northside,

I e-mailed you a copy of the article I was referring to.

Bit nervous posting it on the forum in case I am in breach of copyright or something.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

The thing very few chip manufacturers have caught onto, is the fact that OEM Manufacturers use water temp as their main fueling correction input because it is more stable, and will rise accordingly with actual combustion temperature and not just Exhaust gas temp.

Does the coolant temp sender provide a fast enough response to be used as a safety parameter input?.

There is only two ways for a CR chip to work.

1) Rail Pressure adjustment (Roo/DTE/Tunit/DP all the same chip)

2) Injector Pulse Width Extender (Steinbauer, DTE)

#1. Is normally lowering the return signal coming back to the ecu.
Downfall is if you go to far the ecu will see this low signal, compare it with what its demanding and if it is out of spec put it into limp mode because it thinks there is a fuel leak.

#2. Wont put the car into limp mode as the ecu has no idea more injector opening time is happening. Rail pressure will drop slightly when the injectors are open for longer, resulting in lower atomisation.

Obviously the best bet is a mix of both. Little bit of pressure to bring atomisation level up.
And injector extension so the ecu wont register a fault.

The standard ecu controls its fueling based off water temp as it is much more stable to use than just EGT. So either way you go, once things start heating up, the ecu is pulling fuel out anway.

This is the reason chips make a good gain through one power run on the dyno, BUT! as the temp will rise quicker the power will be pulled away quicker also.
Normal drop in power is 5% after 60seconds at full throttle standard
15%+ after 60seconds full throttle with more fueling if no more air is added to sustain the higher fuel load.

Also, pre CR chips work in a few different ways to.
#1 Adjust spill valve directly via extending the falling edge of the signal (most chips).
#2 Adjust the ecu signal going to the spill valve control unit (unichip).
#3 Air flow meter adjustment on some vehicles that is done mainly through the canbus. Unichip is the only chip I know of that takes this approach on some vehicles and combines it with ecu output signal manipulation to control the spill valve.

One other thing to remember is fuel pressure/spill valve control is just one aspect of running a diesel engine.
The ecu determines how much fuel and when to inject it based off alot of information.
RPM/Throttle Position/Coolant Temp/Air Temp/Altitude/Boost/Gear/4WD selector position.

Most aftermarket chips use one input. Either rail pressure or current spill valve voltage as their only input.
This chip connects only at the rail, and only has 4 wires. So it seems it is actually only doing rail pressure. As noted in Lindsay's explanation of how chips work and there pros n cons, TOO much rail pressure can cause damage. A bit difficult to know without a dyno.
How can I easily read rail pressure????
Should I bother????

Any device that can read data from your ECU can do it. Not sure if that's on the Scangauge, but I can get the rail pressure figures with my Torque application on my phone.

Ahh of course, Lindsay. I didn't read that clearly enough.

My software won't compensate for the adjusted return value, it would simply display the adjusted value which is what the ECU considered to be correct - which may or may not be too high.

You'd need to put a sensor on the rail and hook it up independently to the ECU or chip.

hey fellas
i installed one of these chips on my d22 this afternoon but the throttle seems to stay on for a good second after i release it, is this normal? its making it a bit hard to drive, also if i hold the pedal just enough to keep the car moving the motor sounds as if its a petrol sitting on the rev limiter. it also does this between gear changes. it doesnt sound right. could someone let me know what may be the problem. there is an earth wire the shows being earthed to the pump but i couldnt find an appropriate bolt so ive earthed it to the intake manifold just above it. could this be the reason its doing this?
cheers
phil

hey fellas
i installed one of these chips on my d22 this afternoon but the throttle seems to stay on for a good second after i release it, is this normal? its making it a bit hard to drive, also if i hold the pedal just enough to keep the car moving the motor sounds as if its a petrol sitting on the rev limiter. it also does this between gear changes. it doesnt sound right. could someone let me know what may be the problem. there is an earth wire the shows being earthed to the pump but i couldnt find an appropriate bolt so ive earthed it to the intake manifold just above it. could this be the reason its doing this?
cheers
phil

From memory they have two diff products. A chip and some throttle control thingy. The chip I have has NO need for an earth wire. Is yours the zd30 or cr2.5?

sorry i should have said that, its the zd30. i told them it was, he said the yd2.5 is a plug and play and the zd30 needs to be wired in. do u think it would change if i had earthed it to the pump jjohn?

Latest posts

Back