Newcastle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't explored camp areas up @ Coffs itself. It's a 6 hour drive with the van behind, and so we haven't been up there a lot at all. Holiday traffic also puts us off heading in that direction, particularly the bottlenecks at Buladelah - so our exploration of that part of NSW was on hold.

Got any place in mind?

Now im pretty confident in a pissing competition...

You boys will have to settle the argument at son of trials, as i proposed to future wifey on the weekend, and need to save for the wedding in 8 weeks.

Congrats on popping the question!!

But I think the son of trials would of been the most romantic location for those sorts of shenanigans :sarcastic:

There are two places I was thinking of but I can think of the names right now and I'm in mudgee so I can get them out of the book. I also have a mate that lives up there and he said the camping and 4wdin is awesome up there. One of the places is a track that follow a river from coffs up into the mounts through all the old gold fields. But that probably no good for your caravan tony, the other was a national or state forest that got these huge water falls in them.

The caravan will go in some decently remote places but we don't do water crossings deeper than 300mm. There's also a ramp-over issue so steep banks and climb-overs are out of the question.

Let me know what the places are and I'll check them out.

One of the places is a track that follow a river from coffs up into the mounts through all the old gold fields.
Goldfields doesn't ring a bell.
Was that an alternative route to the main road?

I was wondering about the Coffs Harbour - Coramba - Dorrigo areas and if had ever been a gold mining area. Seems it might have been as google popped up a gold exploration license recently granted near Bobo, which claims to be all in state forests.

But that probably no good for your caravan tony, the other was a national or state forest that got these huge water falls in them.

The Northern end of Oxley Wild Rivers National Park?
The Southern end has Apsley Falls, which is a sealed road access site just off the Port Macquarie to Walcha road.

Sigh, google maps is an absolute PITA atm as so many features are not showing up and I can not find the waterfall locations. There is also a previous thread by someone who wanted to do the waterfalls

Edit; the biggest problem I've found in that area, is if you want "facilities", you can be rather restricted.

Anyway, it would be great to hear more.

[Sadly just interested, but not likely to make it along, bummer, bummer, bummer]

Last edited:
Wollondilly river is a great spot
3 hrs from Newcastle
We've just come into town for more liquid refreshments and have just finished exploring the caves
Back to the river now for more fishing
Son of trails tomorrow
Wherever you guys go have a good time

If I mention that there is(was?) a Naturalist Retreat nearby, do you think that might get them down on the Wollondilly?

How packed was Wollondilly Caves camping area?

Well now that that wedding is out the way, back to planning a weekend away. Who would think just being a groomsmen would take up so much time.
I'll get the info on the two places and post it up today.

Last edited:
well I am officially now a Maybe/probably not after having a discussion on physics with a thoroughbred. My ankle should be right, My shoulder should be right, my elbow should be right, but I have doubts about my knee being capable of rough terrain by the weekend.

If I mention that there is(was?) a Naturalist Retreat nearby, do you think that might get them down on the Wollondilly?

How packed was Wollondilly Caves camping area?

there is still a "retreat" nearby :reddy: (right next to son of trials)
wollindilly camp had 3 campers and is a great spot
we were in a secluded area
watch out for the fox who took our eggs and bread

View attachment 8873
IMAG0335.jpg

the caves camping area was quiet exept for the friendly roos
IMAG0382.jpg
figtree cave is a must see
IMAG0392.jpg
BUT i reccomend you come into the caves from the golbourn side if you are towing anything as the road from wollindilly station to the caves is very steep gravel and narrow with heaps of hairpin turns
you could tow a camper from mittagong to wollondilly river
its a gravel road steep and narrow in places but managable with a bit of common sense and if you can fit through the tunnell
IMAG0325.jpg
as for the son of trials
what an awesome weekend
we will be going again

IMG_2775.jpg

Last edited:
OK this is what I got so far.

Travel the Boyd River along Old Grafton Rd to Delmorton and camp some where along the river.
I'm still tryin to find out a place called "anarna" or "narna" where there are old gold mines from the late 1800's
Then come around to the crystal shower falls near dorrigo and dorrigo mount.
and maybe Woollomombi Falls on the way home maybe near Armidale.

well I am officially now a Maybe/probably not after having a discussion on physics with a thoroughbred. My ankle should be right, My shoulder should be right, my elbow should be right, but I have doubts about my knee being capable of rough terrain by the weekend.

don't think there will be any rough tracks, more touring. maybe some narrow tracks around dorrigo.

Ian, I suspect that was Wombeyan Caves? Yes, the road from Mittagong is very narrow and that tunnel would be disastrous with a caravan behind. We went to Goulbourn and turned right at the Mobil servo.

Parking the van is not easy, there's not a lot of clearance for a long rig and the gutters are high enough to worry rims.

attachment.php

It's a bloody beautiful set of caves though - we've done all of them now, they were fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_1340-resized.jpg
    IMG_1340-resized.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 102
there is still a "retreat" nearby :reddy: (right next to son of trials)
wollindilly camp had 3 campers and is a great spot
we were in a secluded area
watch out for the fox who took our eggs and bread

View attachment 8873
View attachment 8874

the caves camping area was quiet exept for the friendly roos
View attachment 8879
figtree cave is a must see
View attachment 8875
BUT i reccomend you come into the caves from the golbourn side if you are towing anything as the road from wollindilly station to the caves is very steep gravel and narrow with heaps of hairpin turns
you could tow a camper from mittagong to wollondilly river
its a gravel road steep and narrow in places but managable with a bit of common sense and if you can fit through the tunnell
View attachment 8876
as for the son of trials
what an awesome weekend
we will be going again

View attachment 8878

Is that last pic one of Brad Ian? Its a winner...... how good is the wave!!

OK this is what I got so far.

Travel the Boyd River along Old Grafton Rd to Delmorton and camp some where along the river.
I'm still tryin to find out a place called "anarna" or "narna" where there are old gold mines from the late 1800's
Then come around to the crystal shower falls near dorrigo and dorrigo mount.
and maybe Woollomombi Falls on the way home maybe near Armidale.

Delmorton is near the convict tunnel. Might be a bit tight for a caravan.

Boyd river has some nice spots (haven't been down that way for years.
hmm.. anama..narna... might need some more info, I don't know that one.
I would probably recommend a stop at dangar falls in Dorrigo also. (walk to the bottom for a nice photo, takes 15 minutes return)

If you are coming back via wollomombi you could stop at Ebor Falls, Wollomombi falls, Bakers creak falls, Dangar falls(Armidale) basically more falls than you can poke a stick at. with luck we will have some water through the area late in the week and they will all be running.

We've done the Waterfall Highway before. It's not bad at all, and we stayed at Pembroke Caravan park on the east side of Armidale (as you head along the Waterfall Highway it's pretty much the first caravan park you come to).

That convict tunnel does look a bit tight for a caravan. A camper trailer would get through no trouble though, so we'd have to go the other way around.

61108002.jpg

Can we have a google map point of the intended camp site?

Back