DPF back straight through exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerdriver

Reaction score
Guys I've already got a DPF delete pipe and chip from chip it and I'm chasing a bit of extra performance from my navara do you think a striaght through dpf back exhaust would give it that extra note and power ?

DPF removed Chipit fitted BLACK SMOKE ?

My first post on this site after years of monitoring prior to doing a Chipit mod removal of DPF & EGR mod and fitting a chip. All went Ok although no improvement in fuel consumption.
Recently experienced a loss of power event and heaps of black smoke. Phoned Chipit and they were very helpfull sent out fuel rain mod. Fitted that and resolved loss of power problem but not the black smoke. Chipit have been very good tried some tune changes and a custom tune for D40 then a complete chip and cables change still no solution. Unfortunately stuck with a long weekend and no contact with chipit.
Desperate for some advice basically OK without chip in line so appears not a car problem. Blows black smoke with chip in line so is definately chip related but chip has been checked to be OK as a new one fitted??
Any help appreciated

Mine doing the same thing, I'm taking it out to see Robert next week as he's on holiday at the moment. I'll let you know how I go

Mine is the 550 though, maybe different problems

My first post on this site after years of monitoring prior to doing a Chipit mod removal of DPF & EGR mod and fitting a chip. All went Ok although no improvement in fuel consumption.
Recently experienced a loss of power event and heaps of black smoke. Phoned Chipit and they were very helpfull sent out fuel rain mod. Fitted that and resolved loss of power problem but not the black smoke. Chipit have been very good tried some tune changes and a custom tune for D40 then a complete chip and cables change still no solution. Unfortunately stuck with a long weekend and no contact with chipit.
Desperate for some advice basically OK without chip in line so appears not a car problem. Blows black smoke with chip in line so is definately chip related but chip has been checked to be OK as a new one fitted??
Any help appreciated

So do you have a new chip in now or is it still the old one, because I have had the same problem it turned out to be a bad batch of chips,chipit replaced it and the problem solved.

Hi bigger al and others.
Now have a replacement chip in from Chipit with a special tune to fix the problem. No fix just changed the symtoms. Was smoking on changeback to 3rd gear now does it at change back to 4th.
Tried a lower tune went to tune 1 a little less smoke but still to much. About to email Chipit again.
I did a lot of research last night and found a lot of new information that I didn't find before puting in the chip.
As a result I have pulled out the fuel rail mod provided by Robert. I wasn't too happy about putting it in initially as it was obviously just a blanking plug which replaced a pressure release arrangement that is there to stop excessive pressure damaging the fuel rail etc. Whilst this mod will definately correct any excessive fuel pressure problem caused by the chip or tune it could have a price. OK for race use when you can tow the truck back to the workshop but not for me miles away from anywhere in the outback.

Guys I've already got a DPF delete pipe and chip from chip it and I'm chasing a bit of extra performance from my navara do you think a striaght through dpf back exhaust would give it that extra note and power ?

Hi Killer
From all the research and info that I have been able to get over the last 2 years there is little if anything to be gained. I also have a d22 ZD30 and replaced the pipe on it with 2 1/2 pipe I was that happy with it I wanted to up grade my D40 The muffler guy said if 2 1/2 " is good enough for a 3 ltr engine the standard 2 1/4 on the d40 is big enough for a 2 1/2 ltr engine. He had previously talked me into a 2 1/2 instead of a 3" for the D22.

Having said that I have been wondering about just replacing the D40 muffler with a less restrictive one just not sure how restrictive the standard one is. Love to hear if any one has any ideas on that. ( I already have a dpfdp)

Last edited:
Hi Killer
From all the research and info that I have been able to get over the last 2 years there is little if anything to be gained. I also have a d22 ZD30 and replaced the pipe on it with 2 1/2 pipe I was that happy with it I wanted to up grade my D40 The muffler guy said if 2 1/2 " is good enough for a 3 ltr engine the standard 2 1/4 on the d40 is big enough for a 2 1/2 ltr engine. He had previously talked me into a 2 1/2 instead of a 3" for the D22.

Having said that I have been wondering about just replacing the D40 muffler with a less restrictive one just not sure how restrictive the standard one is. Love to hear if any one has any ideas on that. ( I already have a dpfdp)

I v done the straight through muffler and the egt have come down and I do have more talk but just after the muffler there's a smaller bend that's got to go as well,who no's why they would put a smaller diameter elbow in beats me.

I just replaced my exhaust with a 2 1/2" straight through and it has made a huge difference. A little more torque down low, revs easier at higher revs and for the few k's i have done with it watching the figures on the scanguage say its using alot less fuel. Well worth the few hundred bucks it cost.

With all this talk of bypassing the dpf I have 2 questions,,,is it legal to bypass and two has anyone heard of Nissan removing the dpf.
A bloke told me yesterday that a mate took his D40 into Nissan somewhere in Melbourne complaining about excessive fuel use and they bypassed it, they said that it is not a requirement in Aus. And talking of fuel use I get 17 plus ltr/100k's with a 1800k caravan on. Talking with others they are doing much better but they are manual and mine is auto, also other brands of twin cabs seem to do much better that Navara.

putting a higher flow exhaust on a d40 with a dpf pipe will send your fuel consumption through the roof. they have an o2 sensor in them which will detect more oxygen as there will be more going through because of the higher flowing exhaust and think the car is running lean. then it will tip more fuel in. the d40 is one of the only diesel cars that actually run a fuel map similar to a petrol car...

havent experience anything like what diesel smart has described, the DPF delete has made the car gain fuel economy, power and performance, definitely a worth while mod

With all this talk of bypassing the dpf I have 2 questions,,,is it legal to bypass and two has anyone heard of Nissan removing the dpf.
A bloke told me yesterday that a mate took his D40 into Nissan somewhere in Melbourne complaining about excessive fuel use and they bypassed it, they said that it is not a requirement in Aus. And talking of fuel use I get 17 plus ltr/100k's with a 1800k caravan on. Talking with others they are doing much better but they are manual and mine is auto, also other brands of twin cabs seem to do much better that Navara.

Which dealer is it? I'll be more than happy to give them my business if they could help with DPF removal and fuel economy.
thanks

Latest posts

Back