Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost or not, if it was proven to be either a safety issue or a major fault they would have to do a recall. Recalls aren't just done when they can get away with the minimum costs they are done because the legal ramifications out weight every other factor.

Just like there has never been actual proof that there is a "problem" there has never been any solutions to help ease the problem, maybe there is a connection there somewhere?

I guess it would be more toward the major fault, or shitty design. I can't see it being a safety concern, like the alloy wheels or bonnet latch etc..

So for the people like me who do not have the full service history documented will be s*** out of luck no matter what.

I do most of my services myself.

No probably not a safety issue but if it was proven that they were all faulty a class action could be taken and even with the small number of units sold in this country compared to the rest of the world the class action would cost them a lot more than doing the recalls. That is were it would come down to the bean counters assessing the costs before issuing a recall.

One of the differences between a safety recall and a defective recall is that there has to be definitive proof that a majority of owners are suffering the issues and not just a few cases. I would imagine Nissan are looking into the issue but I doubt they have any major proof right now that it's effecting every yd25

So for the people like me who do not have the full service history documented will be s*** out of luck no matter what.

I do most of my services myself.

As mentioned above, the timing chain is not referred to in the servicing, there might be a reference to it being checked but that is it, so it would be hard for them to blame any servicing agent for causing the timing chain issue when they themselves suggest it requires little or no attention.

Would be a tough argument I suspect. Although the Repco double row kit is reasonably priced so the dealer may negotiate labour if Nissan knock back any claim???

Unless there was some kind of group action lol

Anyone's guess though.

The tough argument theory could be used for just about any warranty claim, factory servicing or not. Over my time on this forum I reckon the number of successful warranty claims is higher than the unsuccessful ones, of course each case is different and some people should never have even tried to claim warranty in the first place but there is no real proof that non factory servicing is a harder fight for warranty than factory servicing.

I don't believe in the term "good will" because it indicates that the dealers or Nissan Aust actually care about something other than their own bottom line but the fact that a few timing chains have been done under this silly term means that there is hope.

Maybe if there is a timing chain problem it isn't serious enough to warrant a recall but they are willing to accept repair costs when presented to them. That said it does come down a lot to the way that it is presented to them.

On which bit? I thought we were still talking about timing chains, their possible problems and the likelihood of getting them fixed under warranty.

They wont do a recall on them because it would cost them way too much, so i guess they might just be looking at fixing the ones that have had problems.

Has it been defined what causes the timing chains to stretch? Is it constant load, flogging your engine, lack of servicing or just a common problem that can happen under normal duress? With my ute being out of warranty, i dont really want to argue with Nissan down the track about a good will claim. If there is something i can do, in the way of changing my driving style, then i would be happy to take preventative measures.

Simply........
No your driving style won't help...the single row chain has too much load on it
Its to weak for its purpose and the tensioners wear prematurely
Its not a 'service' item
And
Nissan would no way in hell repair an out of warranty truck if the chains weren't a known problem...

Do those of us that may suspect timing chain issues just approach our local dealer and see what happens?
Or is there a way to go about it?
I'm just asking, as i am contemplating whether to do the double row kit or put it down to 'it might not happen to me'.
Just for the record, i've got a 07 D40 STX Auto with 138k on the clock and planning a big trip next year.

Do those of us that may suspect timing chain issues just approach our local dealer and see what happens?
I'm just asking, as i am contemplating whether to do the double row kit or put it down to 'it might not happen to me'.
Just for the record, i've got a 07 D40 STX Auto with 138k on the clock and planning a big trip next year.

Mate I am in exactly the same position. My 07 D40 has 126k on the clock and I think is a bit noisy.

I took it to Nissan who had a listen but they said they have heard worse and they now want the car overnight to have a listen when cold.
Mine doesn't have the log book filled out although I drop the oil between the 5 and 10k mark.

I will let them have it one night to see how it goes but I am not anticipating a favourable response. They may say it's fine and it is then left to play on the mind etc.

Mate I am in exactly the same position. My 07 D40 has 126k on the clock and I think is a bit noisy.

I took it to Nissan who had a listen but they said they have heard worse and they now want the car overnight to have a listen when cold.
Mine doesn't have the log book filled out although I drop the oil between the 5 and 10k mark.

I will let them have it one night to see how it goes but I am not anticipating a favourable response. They may say it's fine and it is then left to play on the mind etc.

I have full sevice history, so i will be interested to see how you go.

Its in the link. I double checked the price and Repco Adelaide City quoted $518+ $10 to get it in. That was including gst too.

Ring your local Repco as I agree its a good price.

Im in the same boat too..........do i just do the double now ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

nissan in uk have extended the warranty on the timming chain,subject to usual imaculate service history,and all done on the quiet! i believe the remedy kit is d22 yd2.5 duplex chain and vac pump

Ours went 3 weeks back, 07 D40 with
112k on the clock. At the local nissan
dealer at present, showed us the parts
list yesterday, what a bargain at 12 grand
for the parts alone, not.

Find out next week hopefully if Nissan
are going to repair or we look at other
options.

Latest posts

Back