Navara D22 timing chain Perth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azh517

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a manual d22 Nissan Navara with 172,xxx kms. The person I bought it off recommended that the timing chain should be changed soon but being very green to cars I didn't really know how big a job it was. I am currently working in the Pilbara and the first mechanic I asked for a quote from told me it would be around $4,500. I was so shocked to find out it was this expensive and so I went to another mechanic to compare and see his quote. This guy actually asked to listen to my engine and went on to tell me that it still sounds really quite and that he wouldn't recommend changing it until it starts to make the rattling noise but at the same time I've heard horror stories about how people have left their timing chain and then its destroyed the whole engine. I've looked online as best I can and I can't seem to find any consistent information regarding the distance at which the timing chain should be changed. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the situation. I will soon be driving down to Perth and I was also considering getting it changed down there in hope that it would be cheaper. I have seen a couple of places on the East coast that change it for around $2000 and I was curious to know if anyone has any recommendations of where I can get it done in Perth?

Thanks!

My bottom chain broke at 188K. Ended up replacing the engine. I have heard some people have had a quote of around 15K to rebuild after the chains broke. It is a big job especially if you do not know a lot about cars. The bottom chain is the culprit in these motors, that drives the fuel pump and top chains which drive the cams. At 170 odd K yours is getting close in my opinion, Get the chains from YD25.com.au Double row chains that will last the life of the engine. about $1400 for the whole kit. Then find a competent mechanic to install. If they say to install OEM then you will be going through he same issue after about 150K.

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a manual d22 Nissan Navara with 172,xxx kms. The person I bought it off recommended that the timing chain should be changed soon but being very green to cars I didn't really know how big a job it was. ..........

Thanks!
first thing is what engine do you have?

My bottom chain broke at 188K. Ended up replacing the engine. I have heard some people have had a quote of around 15K to rebuild after the chains broke. It is a big job especially if you do not know a lot about cars. The bottom chain is the culprit in these motors, that drives the fuel pump and top chains which drive the cams. At 170 odd K yours is getting close in my opinion, Get the chains from YD25.com.au Double row chains that will last the life of the engine. about $1400 for the whole kit. Then find a competent mechanic to install. If they say to install OEM then you will be going through he same issue after about 150K.
Would you say you could hear that your chain was about to go or was it completely unexpected?

Keith Admanson Auto Repairs in Osborne Park has done lots of Navara cam chains and he uses the double row chain kits from www.yd25.com.au.

He did mine four years ago and it's about 10 to 12 hours labour plus the parts/consumables so a price of around $4k is about right. Four years ago his workshop labour charge out rate was $147 per hour so it would be more now.

While it's apart check to see if there's any wear in the oil pump. It's integrated into the lower alloy chain cover so it's coming off anyway. If you're keeping the vehicle for a while consider replacing that lower cover/oil pump. A good quality replacement part is about $400 and the labour's already covered.

Latest posts

Back