Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that. I would be gutted. Mines booked in to stay overnight so they can have a listen when cold. Although if they said it was fine would it put my mind at ease? I doubt so.

Once again, soz to hear Nissan are not coming to the party.

Well mine's in today ( for an overnight stay) lol, only to be tolled on arrival that they need it for a week, to change my chain chest!!! A week!!!! What too they send it back to Spain or something, lol, had to shout a lot to get a courtesy car, useless customer service nissan want to name and shame them but don't think I'm allowed on here lol lets just say this stealership is south of the river in Perth and begins with M and ends in vill lol. Hope everyone else with this prob get it fixed. Ps sorry to here that nissan aren't coming to the party, others have contacted nissan Australia to make an out of warranty claim, don't know if that's an option, guess I'm lucky as mine is an 07 but only Braught it a month ago so it's on them to make right.

Last edited:
Reckon car is too old for goodwill repair (5.5 years)
Jump on there face book page. State facts and mention the precedents already set.
Sit out front of the dealership while they have the d40 on sale.
Edit:
Or you could use the ombudsmen.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Update from nissan, my chain chest is apart the guides and chain are screwed, now I have to wait another week for them to get the parts in lol, but hay they are sorting it, plus the mech said it could have snapped at any time. Lucky I caught it in time.

Nissan replaced my D40 timing chain at 125k's and 14 months out of warranty. It was very simple and quick. They know its a problem. Just ask them as i did.
Now it looks like its cracked a head at 155k's. Getting a bit over it.

Nissan replaced my D40 timing chain at 125k's and 14 months out of warranty. It was very simple and quick. They know its a problem. Just ask them as i did.
Now it looks like its cracked a head at 155k's. Getting a bit over it.

Did ask, vehicle too old was the excuse.

Done the local dealer, done Nissan Australia.
Navara's cant swim to Japan.
Haven't finished trying to get some
joy out of Nissan.

Yahooo there is a god, just got nav back after 2 weeks new timing chest sounds like a peach, and all on nissan bet they regret selling me a car with a time bomb under the bonnet!!

Hey all,

I've just bought a 07 2.5l st-x with 97000km on the clock. As a part of the sale the timing chain had to be inspected. The mechanic at the dealership i bought it from said the timing chain doesnt need changing they just adjusted the tensioners.

Reading all the threads on here has given me no definative answer as to whether the chain needs/doesn't need replacing. As said there is no mention in the book of the chain needing replacing at 100km service.

I was under the impression that timing chains didnt need replacing but now im questioning that. Is it more of a luck of the draw thing? And as i keep reading is it just the bad experiences you hear about?

Thanks

the "issue that "some yd25's suffer from is a worn chain guide
the chain eats into the guide's wearing surface prematurely destroying the guide and chain and engine if you don't diagnose it quickly
if you trust mech that looked at it then all good
but as he is a dealer mechanic I wouldn't trust him to oil my billycart wheels and would want solid proof he took covers off and adjusted

^ The guide wears when the auto tensioner gets stuck. It's not a manual adjustment at all.

Failures have been "luck of the draw" to a large extent. Not sure I would be happy with being told BS from the mechanic, it calls into doubt every other thing he might have told you about the car.

And it vigorously reinforces the "used car salesman" stereotype. That's a real shame, because I knew a couple of used car salesman that were wonderful to deal with once they'd passed away. We'd call them with a Ouija board and they'd give us the winning lotto numbers - they were never right, of course, but at least they were trying. Found the gypsy at the back of "Norms Pre-Loved Cars" and he seemed real genuine, so I happily paid to talk to the dearly departed.

I was thinking if taking to a mates work shop and having a look there. I'm new to dealing with timing chains so looking for all the info I can get. Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back