Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine was doing that noise u talk about tika,tika,tika sound over the norm diesel noise it was my top tensioner then i went further to find suff was ready to break down further at 126km
I can only speak for min, but it's like a worn out/ buggered tappet sound worse when starting first thing, especially if its cold, example: took 2 goes to start this am, bout 10 degrees and a crap load of due in the air, it's very much like a tika,tika,tika sound over the norm diesel noise, not very helpful but I hope it helps, if in doubt get a diesel mech to have a listen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I think lol, got it going into stealership on the 19th and its still under there warranty as I only Braught the thing 2 weeks ago, plus I got 3 years unlimited kms extra. So hopefully she'll be right.

hmm thanks... i'll keep an ear out for any symptoms, only done 65,000km on mine but would be nice to diagnose it early. kind of hard to hear anything unusual or different over the diesel engine.

Anyone else priced or got the kit from repco..........is it the same as the brisbane duplex kit???

I got Paul's kit from yd25.com as his is the only kit that u don't have to remove the vac pump and fuel pump u can fit it in a day and don't have to pull apart the vac pump

I have a 08 D22. Had a loud rattle on start up so I called Nissan and they replaced the timing chain. It's got 40000km and was out of warranty. Hit em up if its suspect, obviously they have issues and will cover it.

I have a 08 D22. Had a loud rattle on start up so I called Nissan and they replaced the timing chain. It's got 40000km and was out of warranty. Hit em up if its suspect, obviously they have issues and will cover it.

great news :redcool:

I wonder tho if the nissan replacement parts are better quality or the same as before.

FB...do you know anything???

Last edited by a moderator:

My thoughts exactly.
Don't let em off the hook n maybe they'll source better parts in future models.
How else do we get em to do it right?

I got Paul's kit from yd25.com as his is the only kit that u don't have to remove the vac pump and fuel pump u can fit it in a day and don't have to pull apart the vac pump

Damo....isn't the kit sold by Repco manufactured by this guy? Would make sense to me in financial terms to have your product available through such an organisation.

My 2007 Navara D40 has done 141000Kms and was out of warranty by 1.5yrs and on my last service l was told my timing chain was starting to rattle and needed replacing... l was advised of a $3200 repair for this job out of my pocket so after doing a little research on the net l rang nissan australia and put in a claim for this as it seems its a commom fault for the 2.5ltr... As my service book was up to date and it had been serviced regulary only at a nissan dealership thankfully nissan came to the party and paid for the whole job under " good will policy "... Thankyou Nissan Australia for this.... Very Happy....

My 2007 Navara D40 has done 141000Kms and was out of warranty by 1.5yrs and on my last service l was told my timing chain was starting to rattle and needed replacing... l was advised of a $3200 repair for this job out of my pocket so after doing a little research on the net l rang nissan australia and put in a claim for this as it seems its a commom fault for the 2.5ltr... As my service book was up to date and it had been serviced regulary only at a nissan dealership thankfully nissan came to the party and paid for the whole job under " good will policy "... Thankyou Nissan Australia for this.... Very Happy....

That's good news mate, glad they came to the party, how long did it take them to actually compleat the change as mines in on Monday overnight and gonna pressure them for a car to get to work if the job takes longer than a day.

Mine has been log booked serviced just not always by nissan, as i got it 2nd hand. Bet they wouldnt come to my party lol

If the service book said that timing chain adjustment, removal, anything was required then maybe they'd have an argument but because under normal servicing the chain doesn't require being touched by the mechanic how can the mechanic following the book be the causing of the timing chain issue?

Depending on the services that have been done I'd reckon Nissan wouldn't just be able to palm it off due to non factory servicing by the book.

As my service book was up to date and it had been serviced regulary only at a nissan dealership thankfully nissan came to the party and paid for the whole job under " good will policy "... Thankyou Nissan Australia for this.... Very Happy....

Thats total bullshit by Nissan...the timing chain FAULT has SFA to do with whether its serviced by nissan or not....and this 'good will' shit is a joke........

the item is faulty and nissan know it...thats the only reason they do it free of charge (for some) PERIOD!

But is their proof that these items are faulty or is there only proof that a few people have had issues?

Some people have obviously suffered the issue but without knowing everything about each failure and without knowing the figures of failures to engines produced can it be said without doubt that these items are actually faulty?

They wont do a recall on them because it would cost them way too much, so i guess they might just be looking at fixing the ones that have had problems.

Has it been defined what causes the timing chains to stretch? Is it constant load, flogging your engine, lack of servicing or just a common problem that can happen under normal duress? With my ute being out of warranty, i dont really want to argue with Nissan down the track about a good will claim. If there is something i can do, in the way of changing my driving style, then i would be happy to take preventative measures.

Latest posts

Back