Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what i gather of the uk site nissan-navara.net the "upgraded" timing chain is from a 2.5 d22 engine and you need the vac pump for the brakes to get the double row cog/gear

Guys - my son manages a large Repco store and he sent the attached flyer to me just yesterday. They now stock the upgraded timing chain....full kit and it is locally manufactured. I don't know what the price is yet but you could check with your local Repco.

Attachments

• Nissan YD25 Duplex Primary Chain Flyer B&W.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
I didn't realize the top chain was a duplex and only the lower was a single. It's good to see the duplex kits coming out though.

I spoke to Lakeside Nissan in SA yesterday and they have had Nissan replace chains up to 170,000km under goodwill but said it was definitely a case by case basis.

What's the Nissan part number for this timing chain kit, I want to price one up!

Hey steel d40. Can you tell me more on the fanbelt noise you described. as i also havs a spanish 07 d40 with 110,000k. and i have a squeeking sound on start up and when under load at low speed. i assumed it was belt so i had nissan replace it. still noisy so i am thinking its the idler bearing or alternator bearing. now you got me thinking it could be something more... any thoughts...

It would be interesting to know how many timing chain failures there's been versus how many of these motors are running around.

Or even how many failures versus how many kilometres or how many running hours.

OT - Internet forums are bloody useful, but they're a bit like the evening news, you hear way more doom and gloom than you do happy positive stuff.

Quite a while ago I got hit up the ar$e in a V8 Fairlane. The car was still driveable but has no power. Took ages to work out that the impact had made the timing chain jump a tooth and the valve timing was seriously out.
The old crankshaft sprocket had nylon teeth and the motor had a few k's under the belt.

Anyway maybe not such a new problem?

It would be interesting to know how many timing chain failures there's been versus how many of these motors are running around.

Or even how many failures versus how many kilometres or how many running hours.

Totally agree but the figures have never come up. I tried to hunt out the figures but those making after market kits just claim things like "it's possible and we can fix it" and Nissan claim it's not a huge issue.

The number of YD2.5's that are sold worldwide must be huge yet even the internet of doom and gloom where only bad news surfaces doesn't indicate that a large number of failures are occurring.

The noise was like fanbelt squeak with a touch of rattle thrown in. I was convinced it was just the belts & nissan had said the same. Was only after injector was repaired & motor way quieter that it really was obvious.
Totally agree Krafty. Many many YD2.5s & just a few unlucky examples. Friday motors?
I didn't raise this thread to bag Nissan just show an example of what could happen. I may have got away with a little noise for many Kms to come who knows.

Hi, Just another to add to the list - mine has just been diagnosed with faulty timing chain.
2006 stx, only 116k!!!

Totally agree but the figures have never come up. I tried to hunt out the figures but those making after market kits just claim things like "it's possible and we can fix it" and Nissan claim it's not a huge issue.

The number of YD2.5's that are sold worldwide must be huge yet even the internet of doom and gloom where only bad news surfaces doesn't indicate that a large number of failures are occurring.

Shouldn't be to hard, someone just needs to walk into a dealership and write down the engine number off a YD25

My 09 built D22 which I no longer have was YD25165961T which I doubt that is representative of Australia alone, so to me that says it was number 165961 to roll off the production line, likely that figure has probably doubled/tripled by now.

Hay ya guys, I want to add yet another yd25 to the timing chain peril, lol, I Braught a 2007 Spain built d40 last month from a 'preferred' nissan stealership in Perth, thinking they wouldn't gip me, lol lol not more than 2 weeks after having the car the rattle started, took it to stealership today and they "think it's the chain" lol booked in for a look next week, hopefully they do right, or I think it's going to be consumer rights involved lol any way iv vented so cheers guys. Forgot to add its got 125k's on the clock

Last edited:
Geez, who else? Getting worried about mine, even though only just done 51,000kms. Thinking of buying a double row kit but concened about finding somebody to do the labour side of it and the cost. Any ideas? I might make some calls see if I can find a good price.

I've been abit concerned but as said. You are only hearing a small percentage of navara owners finding statistics is hard. Saw a new Stx break down just outside my place and get towed which didn't help. Thinking of doing it as a precaution. It's a lot cheaper then risking it.

can someone describe what this 'rattle' sounds like? is there a drop of in performance/fuel economy or any other symptoms?

Thinking of doing it as a precaution. It's a lot cheaper then risking it.

Ah but can you trust the replacement (any replacement) wont have the same risk attached to it now or in 100,000ks? Is it some how easier to be comforted by the words of a salesman selling his own product than be comforted by the manufacturer who's made thousands of the things? Have any of the after market ones had the road testing that the thousands the manufacturers made have?

I'm not bagging out any of the replacements, and each person to their own thoughts but there is still many questions that could be answered. The downside is that no one has all the answers.

pretty much...

If it was a problem with all of them then it'd be wrse then the ZD30 grenade issue by now, D40 navaras would be clogging up all the major roadways around the world but I never see them broken down :hmmmm2:

can someone describe what this 'rattle' sounds like? is there a drop of in performance/fuel economy or any other symptoms?

I can only speak for min, but it's like a worn out/ buggered tappet sound worse when starting first thing, especially if its cold, example: took 2 goes to start this am, bout 10 degrees and a crap load of due in the air, it's very much like a tika,tika,tika sound over the norm diesel noise, not very helpful but I hope it helps, if in doubt get a diesel mech to have a listen.

Latest posts

Back