Yet another timing chain question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydan89

Reaction score
Gday fellas, Im after some advice on my timing chain. Ive got an 07 D40 with 150 thousand kms on it. On the first start up in the mornings or whenever the cars been sitting for a long time. I get that 3 second sound of timing chain noise, ive got a ryco oil filter in the car at the moment but im thinking about swaping that for genuine. Because of this early noise should i be concerned about my timing chain. Its $3000 to replace it and if I dont have to id like to avoid it. Thanks for the help fellas

hey mate, my 2010 thai built had that same noise on start up for nearly 100,000 kms. i changed my timing chain to a duplex chain and upon further inspection of the primary chain it showed no signs of fatigue. i put the noise down to a tensioner slow to build up oil pressure and take up the chain tension. Funny it only started to make the noise after I serviced the ute using 15w 40 oil. I then when straight back to synthetic 5W30. Id change back to genuine oil filter and wouldnt worry about the noise

Thanks for the help. Maybe im just paranoid. Im using DX 5w-40 Castrol magnatec (Dam expensive DPF oil) I think the noise may be because of the non return valve in the Ryco filter not working

I just replaced my timing chains with the yd25.com set up after mine was making the same noise. For me it was a case of cheap insurance, but I was also able to do my own work. My engine is now as quiet as a new one although it has 160,000kms on it. I did however also replace the two fan belts and idler pullies along with an oil change and went back to a genuine oil filter (was using Ryco). The reason I consider it "cheap insurance" is because I have been paranoid about it going bang and if it does it's going to cost a lot more and the first thing I would have to do with a second hand engine is replace the timing chain anyway.
Perhaps try changing the oil filter to a genuine one and see how that goes then change the idler pullies and belts. See if that makes a difference then make up your mind on the chain.

Just an update, changed to a genuine Nissan Oil filter. Cold start up noise gone. Ill never use a Ryco oil filter again. Useless Non Return Valves not working

I had the startup noise so changed to genuine filter. This did stop the noise most of the time however it does still happen on occasion. Seems to be only after a short run and a cold night. I guess it depends on the quality and condition of the tensioner as well as the oil and the filters non return valve. It would be good if there was some way to get oil pressure up before starting the engine. Kind of like a primer pump used on aircraft engines. Hmmm theres a thought... Something wired in with the glow circuit like an electric pump to get pressure up before startup. How hard could it be? Considering the majority of wear in an engine is at startup when there is no oil flow it just might help our poor little stressed out motors last a little longer.

Latest posts

Back