turbo leaking oil, catch can already fitted

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navd22yd25cr

Reaction score
Hey guys

Took my navara out and took it for a drive after driving i pulled over and noticed a lot of smoke poyring out the exhaust.

Ive already put a catch can on and its not vent back so i dont think its oil from the pcv.

I noticed oil all around the turbo, intercooler hoses and intercooler.

I can tell my intercooler leaks - gonna hit up warranty

But also dont know where all this oils coming from? Are the seals gone on the turbo????

Thanks guya

I drove home and the smoke stopped just ur usual puff of smoke on take off and reving it....

The very first thing I'd do is try to ease my mind about that turbocharger. Genuine is going to cost a bit but if there's warranty, NOW is the time for it to fail.

Remove the air hose connected to the turbocharger's air intake and give the impeller a spin. It should be very smooth and not too reluctant to turn. There should be no noticeable wobble in the shaft. If any of these show poorly, the turbo bearings are not long for the world and you should hope the dealer coughs on the replacement.

If they won't replace the turbo, talk to Forefront Industries. They have a replacement that will cost less than genuine and outperform it.

If your turbo seems ok bearing wise but you're checking for that oil leak (and turbo seals do go), clean the air piping just outside the turbocharger, take the car for a drive, then check that area again. To be absolutely certain it's not blowby oil that's flying straight through the catch can, vent the can to underneath the car and block the inlet on the air intake before taking it for a drive.

If you do see oil in there, the seals are probably gone. You should be able to get a seal kit for it (perhaps from a Garrett distributor).

If the smoke stopped though, I wonder if it was just left-over stuff in the intake?

Yeah il check the impella.

Yeah im not sure what left over residue it is. I done the intercooler flush and checker it all the day before, cleaned as much of the oil residue out the intercooler and the hoses.

What got me worried is that the catch can isnt vented back to the intake so i was curious to know where the oils coming from.

Il take the car into nissans and hopefully my mate can help me out who handles warranty.

Il try and upload pics.

Cheers

If the catch can isn't feeding back to the intake then it has to be turbo seals. There's nothing else in there that carries oil, but ... you said the smoke stopped - so that's why I thought it might be residual gunk burning off and now it's all clear. Be worth checking still.

Yeah its strange the smoke stopped.

Im fairly mechanical minded so i sorta know what to looks for but yeah it just got me stumped when theres no othet way of oil getting there besides the turbo.

But also that theres oil on all the fittings and now its stopped? Possibly residue and that the engine got hot and got the sticky residue to heat up and flow a bit.

Turbo seems fine, still getting 16psi boost which had been nornal reading off my gauge. No other noises that are notice able.

Drove this morning and just had ur normal puff on take off.

The smoke is white which i thought it could be injectors or seals but figured because ita not constant it could bebthe oil burnin off???

Hhhmmm got me stumped. Going into nissan so see what they say.

White smoke usually means unburnt fuel or steam. If the engine's hot, it won't be steam.

Being a D22, it won't be your engine over-doing a DPF regen cycle!

Let's see what the dealer says. If they start talking about charging you thousands for new injectors + fuel rail, consider a Liqui-Moly treatment first.

Done the liquimoly treatment already.

Yeah its hard to tell what the smoke is either. Reset the pump, done liquimoly treatment, egr blank, even cut off the egr pipe which goes inside you throttle body which restricted a lot of air.

Snorkel helped a bit. But yeah on take off still smoke everyone behind me.

As for oil, yep gonna have to wait and see

Back