STX-550 3.0L V6 into a STX with a 2.5L engine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplosiff

Reaction score
Call me crazy if you wish, but here goes.

How difficult would this be? If I were able to track down an engine, how hard would it be to make it all fit and run as it should? Will the manual transmission handle the extra power?

I am considering putting one of these engines into an STX extra cab. This swap out would then be followed with a chip, exhaust, and other performance mods. Basically, with this power and the manual transmission, it would be quite alot of fun to drive.

Take note that after the swap, I would be able to sell the original engine so depending on the pricing, it may be worth spending those few extra thousand for the engine swap, rather than 10 to 15 thousand to an STX 550 and be stuck with an automatic transmission.

Any thoughts? Yes I am seriously thinking about this and have been for a while. Can't seem to track down an engine though - any idea of where I might be able to get one for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

not that there would be too many around, but the best scenio would to be to find a wreck/half cut, atleast you would get the wiring and accociated bits and pieces.
but the 550 being spanish, and i believe yours would be thai, would suggest engine mounts and a million other bits may be different, as we know.
also, you may have to get a flywheel/clutch made, not to mention whether the gearbox will marry up in the end, even if it's strong enough.
would be an awesome rig, but it can only imagine it would be scarily expensive
good luck

Since pid diesel are doing V8 td conversions for the d40s you probably have the room...I believe the hardest part of that job would be the manual conversion. .its possible everything would have to be custom made...of at the very least machine some of your original parts...the engine management may have a hissy fit if the auto is removed too....NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE !! Just need to be creative...

Get to know the FSMs for the donor and project really well, they will make you aware of most of the big challanges before you spend a cent.

So there's no surprises, once you have figured out how much you think it's going to cost, multiply it by 2.5. And once you've decided how long it will take, multiply that by 10.

Go for it!

I believe the 550's have a wider chassis to fit the engine, hence why their suspension components are different, would be worth looking into that

good luck!!!

If I wanted a manual 550 I would probably start with a 550 and 'manualize' it rather than the other way round.

Sounds like a crazy project, if you have deep pockets and time then go for it!

Yes it probably won't be economical after what has been said. I will have to do a bit more research before I spend any money on it. Will have to wait and see

Was hoping it may have been a case of simply swapping the engines, getting new engine mounting, reprogramming the computer and using a V6 petrol transmission (if they are different to the diesel ones) as they can handle the 200kW from the V6 petrol.

thanks for the input

What about the 5l cummins that is apparently goin in the new Titan? Spending all that money would be good to get something bigger in there. Then do the gu diff swap bens done and it would be a weapon!

Latest posts

Back