Sticky SCV unstuck, false limp mode & black smoke going away after pushing hard with Tillix valve on freeways to 25psi & fresh Shell diesel tanks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringthenav

Reaction score
I have a bit of a smile on my face after yesterday, so i thought i would create quick thread just to share my possible good fortune.

I had swapped in a Tillix valve a couple weeks ago & have set it pretty nicely by fluke with just 1 adjustment to the boost valve & the restrictor needle so it wouldn't spool up too crazy fast & give it time to build torque to boost similar to the stock solenoid. I have it spooling a bit faster, and it can get up to & stay at 20psi in every gear.

At freeway type speeds i can reach 25 if i put my foot down a bit more.

Running a 9drive throttle controller also, and since doing this Tillix valve boost control swap away from Solenoids.. have been able to turn the 9drive right up to 3.9,
which before i think bcos of the sticking Suction Control Valve i couldn't really go over 2.6 or so or i would easily get false limp modes and have to pull over & turn car off to get it to go back to normal.

The combo of the Tillix and the 9drive results in some rapid smooth acceleration off the mark, low down and at all levels & I'm boosting so well i can catch up, keep up or fly past brand new hi end Navaras, Rams, Hiluxes, V8 Patrols, Landcruisers etc,
Its quite fun to blast past some Hilux driver with little effort at all.

Now to just behave and keep the speeds legal, as there's so much power now.

The thing i am really smiling about is i noticed on a drive home yest my two issues of intermittent loss of power off mark... Especially while not warmed right up yet in mornings,
going up big hills etc & the bad loss of power and of clouds of black & sometimes brown smoke under any load and gray/black as under lots of load has gone away!
At least its in process of it by looks of it, if not just about completely cleared up!

I was set to replace the SCV & could only afford a cheap $70 ebay one and i really didn't want to fit that,
And was scratching my head how i could budget in a proper new $250-300 one at this late time of the year...

Anyway while accelerating up some inclines on freeway i decided to see if it would go past 25psi as i dont really want it too, i only really want to be hitting 22 max & not do that too often to protect the life of the Turbo, which is going so well still and may have 300+ km on it, and i noticed while acceling i felt that shudder pullback of the false limp mode (valve sticking!?) happen, but i was at 24 psi and rising and going 110 but when i accelerated again i was still operating as normal boosting back up and the engine accelerating well..

So i tried to get to 25 again at that speed, under load on some incline on the spool and hard acceleration..

Again at around 24 the brief shudd of the valve sticking & then presto again it's unstuck & I'm still cruising.
I did it maybe another 1 time again,
then just drove as normal not pushing anything.

The following day yesterday going up the same hill i did this again thinking its helping unstick the scv really well,
I did it about 5x yesterday,
Every time hitting about 24psi under hard accel and then getting the valve sticking every time then unsticking every time. I still had the issue of the smoke though.

After the motorway i was just cruising along the highway for 20 minutes and i suddenly noticed some browny slightly white smoke was coming out and raised an eyebrow,
then no smoke at all,
Or at least very little that i couldn't see it. I didn't see any more smoke after that & hopefully when i start it up and drive next time the problems are all solved now.

I guess i will see.
Hope this thread helps people going thru the same sort of issues!

All the best

Latest posts

Back