ST-X D40 to ST-X 550 Suspension swap.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A2_tha_MFK

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 2007 ST-X D40 Nav which I've owned since new. I'm about to pick-up my new ST-X 550 this coming weekend. I would like to know if I can straight swap my current suspension from the D40 over to the 550.
The D40 currently has Tough Dog's as follows -
PartN: BM404700 front Struts 40mm 9 stage
PN: BM401368 Rear 9 stage
PN: TDC770XHD front heavy duty coils
PN: TDL85L premium (300kg) leafs
PN: TDUK-068 shackle bushes
PN: TDUB-035 U-bolt kit
PN: TDNIS-3030 Tough dog strut top D40.

On the Tough Dog web site, the part numbers for the D40 kit are identical to that of the 550 kit. Expect for the front coils, however I already have the heavy duty coils anyway. You would assume that I'm ready to go? Except Opposite Lock advised me that I'd need to get new front struts as they are longer for the 550. Doesn't tie up with the info on Tough Dogs web site.

If Tough Dog would answer their emails it would be clear I'm sure.

would need higher spring rate front coils as the v6 does weigh more, apart from that itll be a straight fit.

In with the New

Attachments

• <untitled> 17859.jpg
    <untitled> 17859.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 188
The STX 550 has a wider Chassis to fit the V6 Diesel. The Front Springs and Shocks are not the same as the 2.5L TD Models.
Dobinsons make specific mention of this on thier website.

The Issue is Chassis width rather than Weight.

Ok so for anyone interested, suspension swap is not a problem. My Tough Dogs from the 07 D40 fit straight into the new V6 ST-X 550. Just needed to purchase the higher rated front coil springs. I also decided to purchase new U-bolts and also a complete bush kit change for the leaf springs and struts. But that was just for my own peace of mind. Perfect fit, all good.

I have the 550 booked in to Opposite Lock on the 18th of Jan for Xrox steel winch bar and also long range fuel tank. Then straight in for a set of 265 / 70 / R17 Mickey Thompson MTZ's. :redcool:

Last edited:
If you have lift and are getting an Xrox winch bar, why not get 285's instead of 265's? They'll fit. Worst case scenario, you have to chop a tiny bit of guard off where the front mudflaps sit.

Spain STX wheels are good to run 285/75/16's. The STX wheels are a 16x8 with a +20 offset.

If you have lift and are getting an Xrox winch bar, why not get 285's instead of 265's? They'll fit. Worst case scenario, you have to chop a tiny bit of guard off where the front mudflaps sit.

Spain STX wheels are good to run 285/75/16's. The STX wheels are a 16x8 with a +20 offset.

Hi Cobez, I now have a 550 (with lift & Xrox bar). 16's wont fit over the brake cal's. Do you mean 285 / 70 / R17's ?

I would not run 285's on a straight 2" suspension lift. You need to do a body lift for the extra clearance. I know. I have 285/75/16's on mine and they still rub a little sometimes

I would not run 285's on a straight 2" suspension lift. You need to do a body lift for the extra clearance. I know. I have 285/75/16's on mine and they still rub a little sometimes

Thanks LLadnar, though I didn't have any intention of running 285's. I've purchased the 265 / 70 / R17's already anyway.

Latest posts

Back