Replacing bushes or just replace suspension?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seraphhhh

Reaction score
Hi all.

TLDR: CAR WAS STOLEN, SUSPENSION FLATTER THAN I AM, BUSHES ARE GONE. IS IT WORTH REPLACING SUSPENSION OR JUST THE BUSHES?

I have an (essentially) stock 2008 VSK d40. It is the love of my life and even though it's stock I take a lot of pride in him now that he's back.

For context, it was stolen for about two years and used to tow 6 tonne regularly (again, highlighting the fact it was stock so approx 2.5T max towing capacity). I have since repossessed it, but it took all of my savings to make it safe and driveable again. Total service, transmission, head gasket, altenator, engine reconstruction, tyres, you name it I probably had to fix it. I'm of the mindframe of "if you're broke and able bodied, you're doing broke wrong", so most of everything has been me getting under the vehicle where I can. Except for the engineer reconstruction, that was scary haha.

It, however, has totally flat leaves and the front springs are bent backwards. It also squeaks from the bushes. I dont have a lot of money at the moment, as it's unexpected repossession and the state of the poor car took my wallet by surprise.

My question is, would it be better to replace the suspension entirely, or just the bushes. The control arms themselves seem to be fine, so not worried about them.

If i were to do the entire suspension, would second hand be an option, and what should I look out for in terms of red flags from wreckers?? Or should I purchase new. Are there brands to avoid, and which ones give me the best value for price. I dont use it for towing, but I do like to kick it off road and send it more often than not.

And if I were to just replace the bushes (it needs upper, lower and rear suspension), what tools would I need, and method. I can't seem to find anything for just the bushes on YouTube, and what sites I've browsed say it's difficult and not worth it.

But I was just hoping some one could point me in the right direction, thanks. I've just been operating it like it's been tastefully lowered and not the fact its been flattened because it had the guts driven out of it lol.

Thank you for reading this, I know its long. Appreciate any help I can get.

Located SEQ if that helps.

If money is tight then replace the bushes....

Steps are

Buy a polybush set. (Much easier to put in than original type.)

Remove the wishbones ( plenty of swearing involved)

Burn out the old bushes with a decent blowtorch. If you can find someone with an oxy acetylene it will be much easier.

Use a hacksaw to saw through the old metal outer sleeve.

New polybushes go in easily.

Pot it back together and try to set the cam bolts to give the right camber/castor.

If money is tight then replace the bushes....

Steps are

Buy a polybush set. (Much easier to put in than original type.)

Remove the wishbones ( plenty of swearing involved)

Burn out the old bushes with a decent blowtorch. If you can find someone with an oxy acetylene it will be much easier.

Use a hacksaw to saw through the old metal outer sleeve.

New polybushes go in easily.

Pot it back together and try to set the cam bolts to give the right camber/castor.
You are a legend, thank you so much.

Not sure if this helps my rear leafs where totally flat so I just purchased an add a leaf set from eBay $110 delivered to door sorted the sag and gave new life back into the old spring pack nicely was cheapest solution I could find for rear easy job just undo ubolts drop diff, undo center bolt on spring pack slip in new leaf your done and put back together

Latest posts

Back