Overheating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Guys. Just a couple of things, if i may. I went to Condobolin on the weekend just gone, and I had an overheating problem. Not all the time, just going up hills under load. But on the flat, would come back to normal. Have check the forum, but still in two minds. Most are saying that it might be radiator/cooling fan. Old Tony bought up that sometime Spotties and winches can be part of the problem at times also. Had taken the nav away at xmas and had no problems. since then put a bar,spotties and a winch on and now overheating. Maybe coincidental, but opinions can be helpful. Also, have a high pitch whine coming from turbo area. was only when cold, now seems all the time. Is it time for a new one or can it be fixed. Thinking new turbo would be expensive. Cheers.

Did the bar have wind deflectors on it? I have 3 240 blitz mine. Covers all the Crome on the front of the car and I haven't had any over heating problems.

I'd still suspect the fan. It's at least easy to check: get the engine nice and hot, stop, turn the engine off, pop the bonnet and try to turn the fan by hand - then get straight back in and start the engine again (this stops the heat from causing damage anywhere).

If the fan's easy to turn even when the engine is hot, it's the fan.

That squeal you're hearing from the turbo - I hope it's NOT the turbo. It could just be boost leak - I'd check the hoses between the turbocharger and the inlet manifold for cracks, pinches or loose clamps. You can get a leak from overtightening a clamp especially if it's a cheaper type of hose clamp.

If it's not a boost leak, it's really worth taking the piping off the front of the turbo and give the compressor a spin (cold or warm engine, not hot). It should move smoothly and not feel gritty. If it feels rough, the bearings could be on the way out - and if you don't have an intercooler to catch the broken bits, an exploding turbocharger compressor will end up inside your motor and that's lethal to it.

Let's hope it's a hose. I don't think your model car came with an intercooler - it's not a big power gain, but it's a big insurance gain. Keep us informed!

Thanks Tony. i thought it was coincidence that it only started happening after all the gear was put on. i had a look at before and after photos of the front and thought there is not as much airflow. Thanks again for your assistance.

spot lights etc can decrease the airflow and that can make the difference if the cooling system is marginal. more than liekly the fan isn't working right or radiator is blocked.

Could even be the thermostat not opening completely. Allowing enough water flow for normal conditions, but just not quite enough when working harder.

Not sure how hard it is to get too. If easily found it probably would not hurt to replace it and see if it makes any difference. If it makes no difference chuck the old one in your spare kit as it could be useful on a big trip, and if it fixes it throw he old one in the bin...

Thanks Tony. i thought it was coincidence that it only started happening after all the gear was put on. i had a look at before and after photos of the front and thought there is not as much airflow. Thanks again for your assistance.

The junk around the front should not make a difference if the fan is doing it's job properly, the Nav shouldn't have to rely on air blowing in from the movement of the car.
Think about all that low range work they do ie: high revs and very slow vehicle movement, I would check the fan as Tony suggested, it may just be marginal at the moment and not fully gone, it would be good if you knew someone to borrow their fan and test your car.

What was the outcome..? Same thing happened with sister in laws car. Turned out to be the thermostat, and cracked radiator cap ( something to do with not pressure or something)

Latest posts

Back