Oil Pressure Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
Guys I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue similar to this. Drove to work this morning (about 20km) no problems and then parked the car. Jumped in at knock off and started it, its normal for the light to take a couple of seconds to go off and I always watch for it. This time it didn't. It was not full brightness either. I switched off, checked the oil, yep still plenty there. The engine still runs smoothly so I took my chances and started the drive home. About 3 kms into the drive I notice the light change brightness. At first I thought it had gone out completely but a closer look and it was still illuminated, I had to cover it with my hand to see the red light but it was on. I kept going got home no problems. Restarted the car when I got home and same thing drove a bit and a couple of hundred metres down the road it goes very dull again. Anyone know what the hell is going on? It drives fine and nothing sounds any different to normal. I'm about to have a look through the manual but thought I would check here first. Cheers.

yeah mine takes a few seconds to go out, when was you last oil change, i know mine is over due and its taking slightly longer to go out.

bryan

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a dodgy oil pressure switch , get a new one and also get a oil pressure gauge as well , you can't go wrong then.

yeah mine takes a few seconds to go out, when was you last oil change, i know mine is over due and its taking slightly longer to go out.

bryan

Yeah mate thats normal for what you are saying, even straight after changing oil it still takes about a second to go out.

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a dodgy oil pressure switch , get a new one and also get a oil pressure gauge as well , you can't go wrong then.

Agreed, I pulled the wire off the switch last night and had a bit of a fiddle with it. I have a vdo pressure guage with a t piece adaptor that I was going to fit temporarily to check pressure but not sure if I will bother now as 1. The pressure switch is in a bastard of a spot to get to and 2. I started it this morning and the light went completely off after 2 secs like it normally does. I think it might have gotten wet or something or maybe just getting a bit old.

The way the light was changing brightness is telling me that there is a faulty earth or something along those lines as it is a just a switch the light should be on or off not halfway dim. Anyway I guess I'll keep an eye on it and if it does it again I'll order a replacement oil pressure sender/switch. Oh and yeah the oil is fine I change my oil religiously (within 100km of it being due) every time. Cheers.

Digging up an old thread I know, but just wondering if someone can point me in the direction of where the oil pressure switch is located. Got in the nav today and the oil pressure light remained on even after switching off and restarting engine. Just want to check the switch but not sure where its located. Thanks.

Digging up an old thread I know, but just wondering if someone can point me in the direction of where the oil pressure switch is located. Got in the nav today and the oil pressure light remained on even after switching off and restarting engine. Just want to check the switch but not sure where its located. Thanks.

Hey mate. I've been having this problem as well with all the rain throwing false faults.

The first question: what's your engine?

On the zd30, it's down behind the starter motor at the back of the block. You can access it by jackin up the drivers side of the vehicle and going in through the rubber flap in the wheel arch.

Sorry forgot to mention its a ZD30. Had a bit of a look earlier and think I found it. When unplugged the light did not come on at all so pretty sure I found it. Yeah secretly hoping its just a bit or moisture from the rain and stuff. Sprayed it with some WD40 and will just see how it goes. Would it normally throw a code, as I checked that and there was none.

I have had this issue a couple of times in the D40. It seems that after restarting the car a few times it goes away. I have had it happen in dry weather and wet weather, when starting the car. The dash says "Oil Lo" and the light remains on, however on checking oil, all is fine. I presume just faulty sensor, but its not at the point yet where ill fix it unless it starts happening regularly.

gday mate i recently submerged mine and when i replace the starter motor the oil pressure light would come on and off intermittently and at varying brightness. very annoying fault. i had a look and through vibration or something had grounded itself on the chassis. put some heatshrink over it and its fine now but as a fail safe in that situation they must be designed to come up on the oil pressure indication lamp.

Mine would glow at various brightness a while back after going thru a washout. Pulled the plug off and hit it with wd40 and it didn't happen again.

Ok so my light was off all morning and then again all the way home until I pulle d in the driveway and went to idle, then the light come on. Bring revs up and it goes out but as soon as the revs drop the light comes back. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back