2010 navara d22 yd25 overheated, wont start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretto 5000

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice
2010 navara yd25 trayback ute.
bolt on alternator broke & drive belts came loose. I drove approx, 15 minutes & when I stopped engine had overheated & knocking sound from motor as boiling water surging.
let engine cool down , refitted belts & replaced bolt on alternator but would not start.
had it towed home & continued trying to start but no go. I took fuel line off & found that fuel was not pumping through. I put compressed air into fuel tank to force fuel through & was able to start engine but cut out as soon as i turned air compressor off.
i dont know WTF is the problem & would appreciate any advice.
Cheers Bretto

The YD25 has a primer bulb near (below) the fuel filter. This bulb should only take 4-5 squeezes before it gets firm. If it takes more, fuel is draining back to the tank and that only happens when there's a leak.

Leak causes - damaged hoses, under- or over-tightened clamps, poor o-ring seal in water sensor (bottom of filter), untightened water sensor, cracked rubber in primer bulb. Overpressuring will find the leak - it will take a little while if the leak is small, diesel is much denser than air.

So give that primer bulb a bit of a workout and try to find the leak. If it doesn't leak, there must be some other reason why the fuel isn't getting up to the pump - perhaps the fuel pickup in the tank, but I don't suspect that - although, when I think about it, compressing the air space above the fuel in the tank may (depending on how much fuel is in the tank) allow fuel to travel back up the return line?

Is the primer in the same place in an an R51 YD25? I ran out ouf diesel today, and after putting a jerrycan of diesel in it, it won't start. I think I need to prime the system, and I can't find the primer bulb...

I don't have a Pathfinder. They're supposed to be the same under the bonnet so I'd guess at "yes" but Nissan and/or a previous owner (or a clever mechanic) may have moved it. It can't be far away from the fuel feed from the tank (which connects to the filter).

Latest posts

Back