Oil leak .. turbo .. ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a small oil leak on my 2006 Navara. I read a bit on the forums and people say if it is coming from the turbo then need to fit a catch can.

I think it is coming from the turbo, and it seems to be coming from the intake, but I am no expert and was hopping for some advice.

See in the attached picture, marked with the red arrow, this is where it is coming from.

Thanks
Ronen

P1010224.jpg

That'd be right. Do the EGR mod and fit a catch can (lot's of threads about what's best and how to do it) and your problems will go away, providing there is no actual defect with the turbo's internals that is. I tow boats and caravans, had a lot of problems same as yours, did the mods, problem gone away. I used a Provent catch can, as have others, although there is not a lot of room to fit them and you have to be quite imaginative but they do go in, just keep it well away from the exhaust/turbo area. Good luck.

Can I also suggest that you either fit an EGT gauge on the exhaust manifold, or a turbo timer. If you've got a few pesos to throw at it, you might seriously consider an intercooler. Small performance gain, you may not be impressed by that part of it, but you'll love the catching of broken turbo parts that it does if the turbo ever lets go.

Without the intercooler, the broken bits go into your cylinder head and it's a very expensive rebuild.

An EGT gauge - used wisely - along with some monitoring of the condition of the turbocharger's main shaft (no wobble, at all) and you should avoid the most common reasons for turbo failure.

Just some options!

Do as above, especially the intercooler - but first a silly question. How much oil in the engine? If its been over filled, even by 100ml or so you'll get oil pushed out through the turbo/ intake etc.

N

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I have been contemplating intercooler mostly because I read about people turbo's blowing out and the damange to the engine. Problem is it's not cheap, from a quick research I did on the net we're talking $2000 or more.

Can you guys can recommend something cheaper? Something around the $1000 mark? I think as Tony wrote the main purpose of the intercooler for me will be to act as a buffer, so I am not looking for a major performance enhancer.

Also, I don't use the Navara very often. I would say roughly couple of times a month - carry my dirt bike, going to the beach, or just buying stuff at bunnings. So in general the it get used in a pretty relaxed way. I am not sure I can justify the expense to the missus considering the amount of driving I do :)

About adding an engine timer, again I don't drive the car that much so I just keep it running for a minute or so before I turn the engine of. That is for the rare occasion I actually suspect the car was working hard. The gauge is definitely something I have on the list though.

Just as a side question - and mostly because I read about few turbo's exploding - is it possible maybe to take the turbo apart and check its condition?

Slepax,

Cheap answer. Replace the clamp on the intake side of the turbo around the flexible rubber. Common utilux clamp fixed mine. Is a common problem as oil flows with engine gas out of the rocker cover. (Provided no other issues with turbo). You can go further and fit a catch can. I fitted a Provent and cost around $250 with all attachments from Western Filters in Blacktown in Sydney. To fit catch can I made room by getting rid of the prefilter which is not used in models after 2006. Nizzbits sells a genuine Nissan part that goes from the engine bay to outside fitting and in the back of the air intake. Around $200. I found slight increase in HP and noise. This illiminates the prefilter.

Tony

You can do a rough check of the turbo yourself.

Start with a COLD engine - if the engine is hot you could burn your fingers.

Wash your hands VERY thoroughly. Make sure there is no grit under your fingernails. Have a cheesecloth handy too, just in case. Grasp the air intake pipe that leads to the turbocharger intake, undo the clamp and pull the intake away from the turbo. With your other hand, give the turbo compressor a spin - it should spin very freely and smoothly. Try to wobble the shaft - it should not budge even the smallest amount.

Once your turbo DOES wobble or turn roughly, it should be considered dangerous to the engine. You can have the bearings replaced, and doing it before the compressor or turbine have had a chance to touch the housing means the only thing you SHOULD need to do is replace those bearings.

As far as the cost of the intercooler goes ... get a price on an engine rebuild. If it comes in under $10K, you're a very, very lucky person. There are intercooler kits for about $1400 and you might even find some for less than that. Any of them would serve their purpose here.

firstly what is an EGT?

Also if you have any knowledge of doing an intercooler can you not just simply do your own install? In my eyes should be alot cheaper, unless there is something i am missing with diesel's, but i have done a few on my turbo cars and they are not that hard a thing to do

My d22 has the same oil issue that i noticed the other day and I was a bit nervous that my turbo has died. So i will be checking it out this week

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature.

It's really, really important for a turbocharged vehicle because the turbo is driven by that exhaust gas. The turbocharger's shaft is supported by bearings that have engine oil pumped through them while the engine is running.

If the engine stops while the temperature is really high, the oil in those bearings just cooks and hardens. The bearings fail, the turbocharger breaks up and the small bits of metal enter the cylinders of the engine, destroying it as well.

Can you install it yourself? Yes. Can you manufacture one? Perhaps. A good, highly clean radiator core might serve well, if you could get a large enough opening on each end.

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature.

It's really, really important for a turbocharged vehicle because the turbo is driven by that exhaust gas. The turbocharger's shaft is supported by bearings that have engine oil pumped through them while the engine is running.

If the engine stops while the temperature is really high, the oil in those bearings just cooks and hardens. The bearings fail, the turbocharger breaks up and the small bits of metal enter the cylinders of the engine, destroying it as well.

Can you install it yourself? Yes. Can you manufacture one? Perhaps. A good, highly clean radiator core might serve well, if you could get a large enough opening on each end.

so what i want to put on my car is essentially a turbo timer, if thats all it is then i have no worries installing one of them on my car.

The front mount i was having a look at today. The mounting of the core is easy enough but the pipe work will be the hardest bit as there is not a hell of a lot of room to fit anything.

will do some more research

Back