New Navara owner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjones

Reaction score
Pom in Cairns.

Proud owner of a 2012 Navara with factory fitted bull bar and tow ball, just ordered a 3XM canopy because we've started taking our boy camping and have rapidly run out of space (plus the Mrs prefers this to the tonneau). Will also get rhino rack bars for the canopy and am keen to learn about what mods are recc'd and in what order for people like us who are new to camping and may end up doing more and more serious stuff in the vehicle as we grow in interest and confidence.

Welcome,
Off road camping = bash plates are a must to protect the exposed engine sump.
You may not pierce it, but more likely is a crack in the join with the block = losing engine oil at a very good rate when you turn the engine off. It only trickles out while running. Lesson learnt first hand (Passenger seat) in a work D40 early last yr.

Thanks grasshopper - these sorts of comments are very useful! Is there a thread already that covers I don't know like an idiots guide to mods? like depending on what you want to use the machine for, what order of things you might consider?

G'day Jack. Welcome.

From Cairns to. Most of the camping gear is personal preference and how you go about it. I always find that it's a work in progress but as for the vehicle, better shocks and raised springs would high on the list. The Navs are a bit low and good shocks are a benfit not just off road but day to day on road as well.

Thanks Scotty, these are all things 'on my radar' except the rear bar - will have to research these...

Hi Tappet. thanks for the response.

I made a bit of a list in order of how I think I will use the vehicle. As I am newbie to 4wd and camping, I've listed space as most imortant hence ordering the canopy and the canopy roof racks.

Next up on my list for 'space' is fitted drawers. I have a concern about drawers cause if I ever want to use it as a ute, there a bit heavy to be taking in and out!

After 'space' comes 'ride'. We are not going on serious 4wd tracks - the unsealed roads out to hurricane station and up to mt mulligan are as serious as we're tackling at the moment with a little bit of of off road stuff when we're there, but its pretty tame.

With that in mind, I was thinking suspension kit first; but is there any point until my warranty has run out?

After that I look at it and think body lift and then new wheels/tyres but also bash plates and sliders.

With all of these mods adding weight; at what point do I need to look at brakes and power??!

Power is up to you. The D22 has about 3/4 of the power of the D40 yet both are rated to tow 3T. It depends on your acceleration expectations.

Brakes are something else. D40s have soft brakes that suffer from fade - you can replace the rotors with DBA slotted rotors for a greatly improved feel.

If you're considering going over the GVM then you can get the vehicle engineer-certified for higher weight - but it'll add to the rego (in NSW at least, where we pay weight tax).

Watch the caveats on body lifts: there are several things that sit lower on the chassis (eg the engine) and things that move higher with the body (eg radiator). This changes the position of the cooling fan, changes the hoses, moves brake lines, steering column, ABS lines, gear lever and so on. You might find that a good suspension lift will achieve the desired results - Zordo is the one to ask, but take a look through garages if it's a particular look you want, or read some trip threads to see what obstacles people had difficulty with and how the vehicles were equipped that DIDN'T have as much trouble - they're often an entertaining read anyway!

Bit of a fan of the plastic tub myself.
Relatively dust proof.
Take up less space
When camping remove the whole tub and take to the spot in the campsite you like.
Less weight.
Less expensive. (More money for other goodies).

See how you go with the suspension lift goes before looking at body lift. As old Tony points out there is a lot to consider with a body lift including relocating the bull bar higher.
If it's an Auto you could consider a larger diameter tires. The OEM tires are only good for a smooth ride and keeping the rim off the ground. You can legally go 25mm overall diameter increase . It will make your speedo read spot on if yours is a Spanish built truck. However with more "roll out" acceleration and braking performance would be slightly sacrificed.

As for warrantee when it comes to the suspension lift there should only be a problem if they can prove the raised suspension contributed to the problem. Having said that watch out for Westco Nissan the would try to atribute a suspension lift to failure of the cigarette lighter.

Thanks again for such detailed replies.

Power is not a hoon acceleration thing, but just a practical consideration of adding more weight to the vehicle.

The body lift consideration is purely a practical thing rather than a looks thing, so will definately have to read up on peoples experiences to see what might work.

Will definately speak to Zordo - thanks again.

Of course. Yeah, I'm using stackable plastic boxes with lids ATM, but they break so easily. Am looking at a tougher box at Masters for about $30-40 (without going to proper rugged boxes which cost hundreds of $)

Back