New memeber with a BIG question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The diesel IMO only wins on fuel economy, It has poor off idle torque, very expensive to service and repair, has just as much electronics to go wrong, so couldn't be classed as reliable, it's heavy and requires an expensive starting battery. Slow to accelerate and poor throttle response.

If your not planning on towing a Van around Oz, and only do a few 100ks a week, then I'd go a petrol.

i love the v240....thinking of getting the mrs the x240 when the diesel comes out

If you want a diesel auto then the choice is simple as t was for me D40 compared to my last car the Navara is crap economy wise, harder to park but has more power and is cheaper to service. Mind you my last car was a smart - 2.5m long 2 seats 3cl petrol turbo limited to 135kph top speed no spare and had to be taken to the Mercedes dealership for its service. I fill up the Navara just as often its just that I'm pumping 70+ litres of diesel rather than 30 odd litres of premium unleaded and the smart wouldn't have even made it 50m down the last track I drove on. The Navara is what my intellectual brother in law calls a lifestyle vehicle, it doesn't make any more sense than my teenage Karen Pini fantasies be is easy to realise (and probably more fun)

Early model D40's had a reputation for clutches failing. Later models (early 2008 onwards??) - haven't heard any/many complaints.

Push button 4wd systems that don't engage when you want them to....hmm? Didn't realise that was a problem with D40's - or a common problem with any other modern 4wd for that matter - seeing as though "shift on the fly"push button 4wd operation is pretty much common place these days. But when did the D40's 4wd switch suddenly develop a common fault of failing? That is news to me, and I'm sure quite a number of other D40 members on this forum?

After market accessories - I'd be surprised if there are really any less available for the D40 than for the D22. Happy to be corrected of course, but proof is always nice instead of old wives tales ;)

Got to agree with Tweak though on the turning circle....it's big. No excuses there.

I might be jumping the gun here, but it seems that the people with the biggest problem with D40's are D22 owners.

Mate, always asking for proof but not providing yourself.
So what are you saying, d4o's are flawless.
Everyone here has different experiences and does'nt mean one's wrong cause you've not seen it personally.
Where did I say the pushbutton 4x4 is a 'common' problem.
I personally have had this problem, hence it was a big issue for me when buying a new 4x4, as i wanted minimum electronic crap thats more suseptible to problems and the '22 suited me.
I dont have a problem with D40's, I just would'nt own one, simple.

You D40 owners are'nt sulking now are ya's.:flowers:

Its just a bit of fun, I have driven a few D40's and there a nice truck to drive.

More then anything its just the D40 guys call the D22 a work truck and say it rides like a horse drawn cart.

So the D22 guys comment on the D40's smooth ride saying that real men dont need that sort of ride.

Its all fun.

Dave.

Exactly!

seems some get easily offended though...HTFU

Mate, always asking for proof but not providing yourself.
So what are you saying, d4o's are flawless.
Everyone here has different experiences and does'nt mean one's wrong cause you've not seen it personally.
Where did I say the pushbutton 4x4 is a 'common' problem.
I personally have had this problem, hence it was a big issue for me when buying a new 4x4, as i wanted minimum electronic crap thats more suseptible to problems and the '22 suited me.
I dont have a problem with D40's, I just would'nt own one, simple.

You D40 owners are'nt sulking now are ya's.:flowers:

Krankin,

My post was not directed at you, so why do you assume that all of the points in it are for your response or consumption?

Tweak was the one who raised the point about the 4x4 switch being a problem, not you.

But honestly, if you would like proof for any of the supposed "claims" I have made, please let me know which ones and I will more than willingly assist ;)

And in your most recent post which I read on this thread, you say something about people being easily offended and to harden the f*ck up??? Can you not see how your words could be taken as offensive? If that is the way you choose to post, then that is naturally up to you - but all I have tried to do is provide direct information to the original poster in the thread.

If you wish to post in an "attacking" manner then that is up to you, however please understand if this is that last and final post in which I respond to any message of yours until you tone down your manner.

Whether you regard this as a dummy spit or anything else is up to you - frankly I don't care.

I've been around the block enough times in my 40 years to know how to behave towards other people, and when other people don't behave towards me in an appropriate manner, my days of fighting over it are gone.

have a look through the various forums. the switches seam to be common enough problem on all the forums. maybe they had a bad batch, or incorrect installation.....who knows.
just like the darn abs wires, i'm not a big fan of having electronics down in exposed areas especially where they get full of mud, gravel and cow shit.

unfortunately as utes are common in urban areas and never see mud, most utes are changing into big cars. there is so few "basic" 4x4's now its not funny. at this rate we will have to buy 4x4's from china as their 1980's copies will be the only ones that can actually go offroad !

Tweak,

You're right about the ABS wires on that rear axle being vulnerable too - I pinched one myself. Although it was early on and I haven't had a problem since I covered them in convoluted tubing. I never got around to fabricating some steel shrouds...

Can honestly say though, never saw nor heard of any problem with the 4x4 switch - news to me. When was that a problem? Never came up in the pre-purchase research I did.

Krankin,

My post was not directed at you, so why do you assume that all of the points in it are for your response or consumption?

Tweak was the one who raised the point about the 4x4 switch being a problem, not you.

But honestly, if you would like proof for any of the supposed "claims" I have made, please let me know which ones and I will more than willingly assist ;)

And in your most recent post which I read on this thread, you say something about people being easily offended and to harden the f*ck up??? Can you not see how your words could be taken as offensive? If that is the way you choose to post, then that is naturally up to you - but all I have tried to do is provide direct information to the original poster in the thread.

If you wish to post in an "attacking" manner then that is up to you, however please understand if this is that last and final post in which I respond to any message of yours until you tone down your manner.

Whether you regard this as a dummy spit or anything else is up to you - frankly I don't care.

I've been around the block enough times in my 40 years to know how to behave towards other people, and when other people don't behave towards me in an appropriate manner, my days of fighting over it are gone.

Whatever!...

Back