GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASH/LIMP WHILST DRIVING - unsure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerome1991

Reaction score
Hi all

New member and post here so I'm really hoping someone may be able to assist me :)

Recently picked up a 2011 Nissan Navara ST-R D22 2.5 (new for me, second owner) with 180KMs on the clock, immaculate inside and out. Picked her up from Moorabbin and got her over to Tas on the boat, not an issue.

However, I'm really frustrated and disappointed at the moment. In the last two weeks, when I'm driving and at any random time, the engine will immediately cut out, I'll lurch forward (generally happening around 80-100km/ph) and come straight back on in half a second, with the GLOW PLUG light flashing on for a second to two seconds. I can then continue to drive with no problems. Coupled with that, the other day she was cranking over, however it wouldn't start. I had her towed to the mechanic and they found a little algae in the fuel line, so they flushed the entire system, replaced fuel filter and said that she was playing ball the entire 3 days they had her and they experienced no issues. They advised me to monitor it and go from there (worth noting she now starts perfectly fine, every time - I only had that cranking issue twice). Well, now it's throwing the GLOW PLUG light and going limp on the highway for around a second before the engine comes back on, twice again in the last week, so it's really frustrating.

From what I've read on forums and pages here and there, it could be that an EGR block plate may have been installed, SCV may not be functioning properly or a relay issue? I'm not mechanically minded unfortunately, so before I spend a-lot more than I intended to, I was hoping to see if others may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

i would be inclined to check the engine coolant temp sensor. if that has a problem, ecu may think the engine is cold and turn on the glows, hence the glow light.

thank you tweak'e, I appreciate that mate! in terms of checking it, what am I looking out for exactly? faulty wiring/connection etc? and would the glow plugs coming on WHILST it's driving cause it to stall for half a second?

don't know. engine temp is also used for fueling. or it shorted and made the ecu go bonkers.
ecu should flag it as an error but often ecu's only flag an error (mil light) if there is enough faults. you might have to use a decent code reader to see if it lists any faults.
i would check the plug is not loose, pins not corroded, wires damaged etc.

I had the same problem with my 550, one of the glow plugs was faulty, replaced the lot with Bosch plugs (better than NGK).
Be very careful when undoing the old ones, soak them with WD40 for about an hour to "loosen" the threads, do not over tighten the new ones and DO NOT TEST THE NEW ONES ACROSS 12 VOLTS you will kill the new ones they only have 3.7 volts when starting and about 1+ but <2 volts when running.

thanks again for your responses Teak & Rice, really appreciate it guys - she's in for a service next week so I'll get these looked at/replaced so I know it's all fresh - hopefully resolves the issue - ill be back in the next few weeks to advise!

Latest posts

Back