My sales experience. Hunter NSW

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris C

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to the dealers on Friday just gone to Drive a NEW STX TD twin cab manual, I had seen a few at dealers around my area, but most were 2010 build and look as if they had been sitting for some time, so I wanted to drive a Current build manual as well as have a look at the car I would be getting if I was happy with the drive, which I was.

The one I will be getting is an 04/2011 build and 07/2011 complied car, so its not very old at all, was in an under cover storage yard, still with all the storage white plastic on bonnet and roof, all floor, seat door trims etc still in plastic. I was very happy with that. Not getting a 10 month old car that has been sitting around.

Which makes me question why wont dealers / sales persons call you back, I went to two local dealers, twice to both, and called two other local dealers with only one dealer calling me back once.

I went to Sutton Nissan in Singleton two weeks ago, gave all my details, told sales guy I was after a white or silver STX manual TD dual cab, he one of each in stock, call me with a no trade drive away price. No call, left it for a week, called again last Monday, got a different sales person, same details given, with the added note, I am going to buy this week, please let me know a price, no call. Ended up calling and speaking the sales manager, told him the above, 15 mins later he calls back and says he cant even get close to other dealer, I should buy from the other dealer.

Called into Maitland Nissan two Sundays ago, they were having a big sale, lots of balloons and signs, great I think, I have no trade and finance ready to go, this could be good, no, it wasn’t.
Sales guy was a smart ass, he acted as if he had the deal as soon as I walked in, tells me how many he sells etc etc, I ask can I look at on, or heaven forbid, drive one, he points out a black STX sitting parked in three deep in holding yard, covered in bird crap, a sold sticker on the window, “yeah, there is one over there, the one with the chrome mirrors”, but showed no interest in letting me anywhere near one. So I left my details, no trade, own finance, ready to buy this week, he says he has Monday and Tuesday off, he will call Wednesday morning to do a deal, He didn’t, 8 days now and counting, he still hasn’t called.

I only phoned Cessnock Nissan twice, spoke to the same guy, twice, told him the same thing, twice, told him I would be buying one this week (week just gone), not a phone call, email, nothing.

I rang Klosters out of frustration last Monday, spoke to Nissan sales guy, seemed helpful, but didn’t call back with either stock numbers or a price???

Out of shear boredom and contempt for useless local dealers I got onto Carpoint, found a 2011 manual STX in white, Price was good, 3K under any others on there, so I sent an enquiry through carpoint, within 15 minutes I had an email from the dealer saying someone would be in touch soon, 15 minutes after that I got a phone call from sales guy. I bought the car of him after a little too and fro, subject to inspection, which was good.

Which makes me ask, are the local dealers selling so many cars they don’t need to chase a sale with a return phone call? Given the amount of grubby 6-10 month old cars I saw sitting around, I don’t think so.

So does that mean the sales staff are useless and should be kicked in the ass? I know I would if I was their sales manager, I sold earthmoving equipment for 6 years, new and used, and if I got some telling me they would buy that week, I would not rest until I had a deposit or order, I did from The NSW Central Coast to Byron Bay and drove over 100,000km per year getting out to see customers, these blokes are a joke, all I wanted was a price and they would have gotten a sale.

Rant mode off.

Liverpool Nissan got an easy sale, guy was great to deal with, Full tank of juice, without asking, I doubt I will bother with the local idiots again.

Glad you got what you wanted in the end. Dave loves his mates at Maitland Nissan....about as much as he loves me for suggesting it :sarcastic:

Seems more and more dealers these days are happy to just let business to come to them, maybe there is enough idiots out there who believe their crap and don't realise just what a big game selling a car is to these idiots but whatever the reason there is definitely too many of them who think the customer should be coming to them.

Having just got the old man a BT50 I got to say the only Salesman out of all the ute salesman (Isuzu, Holden, Nissan, Ford and Mazda) that even bothered to make an attempt to sell the car rather than play the bullshit games was the Isuzu dealer and the only reason he didn't win the deal was because he couldn't match the price of the Mazda.

Ford were downright rude, would barely talk without playing that stupid "I need to talk to my manager" game and that was before a change over price was even discussed, this saleswoman tried to convince us she couldn't even sell the bloody thing at RRP without first asking her boss. Nissan here are just stupid but had such massively high prices on their yard stock that it wasn't worth it and Holden although not too bad never rang back. The Mazda guy wasn't heaps better than the rest but his price was better which made the old man happy, but salesmen are all dickheads.

Man that is pretty surprising. Without knowing any relevant details (ie how much you paid) my only guess is the commission was going to be so low for the salesperson (assuming you had a GREAT deal lined up) that they didn't think it was worth their time... but that's stupid. Considering you were ready to pay the man, they'd be crazy not to seeing as all it would take was 15mins on a few phone calls and a bit of paperwork!! When i bought my Nav (new from Nissan Rockhampton) in '06 i had pretty good service (he called me back at least!) and i got mailed a "customer satisfaction survey". You should forward what you have written here (in letter form) with the survey if you got one directly to Nissan Australia. I'm sure they'd be interested to know about this... might ruffle a few feathers down the line! :sarcastic:

Just read your post KraftyPg, i had the same results with Ford (not to mention Toyota...) as well. The salesman was an absolute jerk and didn't want a bar of me even though i had finance and was ready to go!

Last edited:
write an email to Nissan customer care. You may score some free shit

HAHA I got my 24 month survey from them the other day, obviously they didn't read the new car survey they sent me 2 years ago or they wouldn't be sending me another one :big_smile:

Mind you since I don't get mine serviced at Nissan I don't get to fill out half the form and that which I do there is no where near enough space too say what I want....Bring on the $2000 I could win for telling Nissan how good they are I say.

Man that is pretty surprising. Without knowing any relevant details (ie how much you paid) my only guess is the commission was going to be so low for the salesperson (assuming you had a GREAT deal lined up) that they didn't think it was worth their time... but that's stupid. Considering you were ready to pay the man, they'd be crazy not to seeing as all it would take was 15mins on a few phone calls and a bit of paperwork!!

Hi again,

That is the strange thing, up until I spoke to Liverpool Nissan, I didn’t have a price, only what was advertised on carpoint, which was $46,888. drive away for a manual STX twin cab diesel.

I just wanted a price, any price, from there I could screw them, Liverpool was the only one, and Suttons, after I told him the price, he said he could not match, or even get near it. Which is fine, at least after 2 weeks and 3 phone calls, he rang me back to tell me.

I ended up paying $43,800. no options, he threw in a tank of fuel, tinted bonnet protector and front and rear mats. Business rego. Drive away.

I think it was a pretty fair buy, I could have gotten a Dmax a bit cheaper, but they don’t match the Nav, and all the others were not of any real interest, all I wanted was some lazy prick to give me a price better than the national deal being done, I would have bought one at Maitland on the Sunday, but he just could not even be bothered to show me a car.

I bought a new VX Prado in December 2009, ordered to get a march 2010 plate car, from Maitland Toyota, they could not do enough to help, two test drives, no pressure, answered any amount of questions as it was a brand new model then and not a lot was known, the sales manager there, Belinda Bailey was great, even after I ordered the VX, when Wife thought I was getting her the GXL, said no worries, if wife snaps it, we will keep the VX and you can take a GXL, wife did snap it, but we kept the VX. We still have it and it is unreal, but you guys like Nissans so I will shut up about my Prado.

I would buy from Maitland Toyota again in a heart beat, Maitland Nissan on the other hand, wont even get to do a service, not one.

I like our Playdo too, if the choice was mine I wouldn't have brought it but it wasn't and we did and I like it, may not always be as practical as the Nav but it's still a decent vehicle so feel free to talk yours up :big_smile:

Chris, I know exactly what your talking about.

My mate went to Sydney to get his D22. The salesman down there couldn't have been more helpful.

The ones up here are !@#$%^ useless pricks.

Ill give Maitland Toyota a good wrap to, went in there to get service parts for my sisters Corolla.

Nothing was ever a drama for them. The fuel filter on them is a bitch, Ill post up a few pics.

Anyways, rang Maitland Toyota. Told me, they had the same problem originally as Toyota dont supply a O-ring with the fuel filter.

Josh is a great salesman there, I went to school with him.

Its not hard to see how they win, country dealer of the year all the time.

Might start getting the D22 done there for its major services.

You will get your chance with the Phone survey from Nissan and then the Postal survey.

I also had a dissapointing experience buying mine last year and reflected such in the postal survey.

Next thing, The salesman is on the phone being rude and intimidating about my survey!!!!

I was furious and gave him what for on the phone. i was nearly going to be on the doorstep of the Sales Manager over it.

You will get a go, they ask how many dealers you went to etc.

Regards
Greg

I'm a bit surprised at Klosters giving you the run-around, they've been pretty good to me. I might have a chat with Michael there and get him to kick his salesmen in the ass.

I'm a bit surprised at Klosters giving you the run-around, they've been pretty good to me. I might have a chat with Michael there and get him to kick his salesmen in the ass.

In Kloster defence, it wasnt so much as the run around as just not really doing much at all, he asked if I could come in for a test drive etc, I told him I would come down if he could give me a fair indication of price given no trade etc,

I said I would be buying that week and did not want to waste a trip to Newcastle to be told List price or more, his initial quote was $2000. more expensive than list price, but said he may be able to get down to the national advertised price , WTF?

I asked him to talk to his manger, give me a call back with a good price and I would come down on Saturday, no call, so I drove to Sydney, and saved $3000.

B the time I spoke to Klosters I had pretty much had enough of the Hunter dealers so I didn't chase him back, but I should not have to.

I am still waiting for that fat useless ass clown from Maitland Nissan to call so I can tell him he missed out because he didn't call.

You'll see a few of there salesmen drink at East's bowlo or the George if you wish to let them know, they missed out on a sale.

this is not an uncommon experience - over the last 9 years I've bought 3 brand new cars from the one dealer - fantastic service - at the start of the year we wanted to trade on and get a new car - same dealership and I got the most SHIT service I have ever had in my life - I had to say to the boss (after 2 weeks of constant phone calls to the same salesman) don't you idiots want to sell me a car - find us the car we want and we'll pay cash today and drive the damn thing away - and that was for an $85,000 bmw - sometimes you just get shit service because of lazy idiots who don't care.

I once bought an MX5 when I really wanted to buy a Celica - simply because of a dickhead salesman who told me "I wasn't serious so don't bother wasting his time!"

I once had a salesman tell me I couldn't afford his car and I should go back and reassess my financial situation all based around the idea that he was offering $3K less for my trade in than 5 other dealers had. Car salesmen are like any other form of salesmen, there are some good and some bad, the problem is the bad ones spend more time bullshitting their way out of situations and making the entire industry look bad in the process. We have a fairly high turn over of sales droids around here so striking up a relationship with them isn't even worth it, the last decent one I found now runs a Hire a Hubby franchise, might be good if I want my lawn mowed but no good for buying cars.

Gee i must be lucky.

My first new car i purchased was from my local nissan dealership.
I have now purchased 11 cars from the came place.

The first salesman i delt with and purchased from is now the dealer principle.
The business relationship i now have with him probably makes the deal easier for me.
Also maybe why the service i get is always great.

This guy early on realized the value of "relationship" building with the customers.

A good point you make.
Personally, and only my opinion.
I don't do the positive criticism thing....Unless the individual genuinely ask's.
Did it once and even the service team got offside, and it's the service I really want'
If a Man doesn't see what he wants n go get it, he doesn't really want it, much less deserve it.
A GOOD sales mngr would recognise his teams weakness'.'THAT' is his job, not landing aeroplanes.
Lazy doesn't get served a plate in my camp.
Upside is you got a bl@@dy good deal and they didn't. You'll love it, Enjoy!!!!

The best thing about buying my d22 was when i told the salesman i wanted the ABN discount which nocked about $6000 off the price and was probably his entire commision.

It made my day.

the best thing about buying my d22 was when i told the salesman i wanted the abn discount which nocked about $6000 off the price and was probably his entire commision.

It made my day.

gold!!!!!!

So Chris C is this a new dealership at Liverpool?

Last October when i was buying I couldn't find any sign/listing/indication of a Nissan dealer at Liverpool.

So Chris C is this a new dealership at Liverpool?

Last October when i was buying I couldn't find any sign/listing/indication of a Nissan dealer at Liverpool.

I dont know if it is new, it did not look to new, but maybe they have just become a Nissan dealer, pretty pain free to deal with so far. They are at 433 Macquarie Street, Liverpool.

Ordered the car Friday, customer relations girl called on Monday to ensure I was happy with everything, follow up phone call from sales guy. So far I have been treated very well, I would recomend them.

As for Hunter Dealers, I have not had calls from any of them. not suprised.

Latest posts

Back