Lots of Black smoke and now limp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause Nissan realised DPF's are rubbish and problematic.

They changed the cylinder design to improve emission's.

Ok took my car to my mechanic. And today the guy from Nissan came and picked it up. Did a force burn, but surprise the force burn didn't work. The guy said its a 50 50 chance that a force burn will work. So off to the exhaust place who says he can de gut the DPF. More info to follow

Ok make sure nissan does a master reset on the ecu as if they were to put a new dpf in there and reset it.. That's the only way I got mine working again.. Don't be alarmed if it won't come out of limp first time they had to do it 2 to 3 times on mine then it finally came out of it. Now, in order to keep the dpf from doing a regen cycle again you will need to get a bung made up for the O2 sensor with a 3mm hole at the end of it so it reads less co2 then the one at the front of the dpf.. You should be good for a while without it because the stupid ecu will think that it's not blocked but defiantly worth it.

Ok make sure nissan does a master reset on the ecu as if they were to put a new dpf in there and reset it.. That's the only way I got mine working again.. Don't be alarmed if it won't come out of limp first time they had to do it 2 to 3 times on mine then it finally came out of it. Now, in order to keep the dpf from doing a regen cycle again you will need to get a bung made up for the O2 sensor with a 3mm hole at the end of it so it reads less co2 then the one at the front of the dpf.. You should be good for a while without it because the stupid ecu will think that it's not blocked but defiantly worth it.

And before I forget there are 2 air pressure sensor lines that go to the dpf.. You may leave them as is unless you decide to put a straight pipe like I have you will need to plumb them in together.. If you don't want to stuff around as much as I did you can buy the chip it dpf delete pipe from them for around $350 which will save you trying to do what I did.. I'm just not sure if the O2 sensor is spaced out on their pipe or not.. Anyway if you get stuck just give us a yell..

And before I forget there are 2 air pressure sensor lines that go to the dpf.. You may leave them as is unless you decide to put a straight pipe like I have you will need to plumb them in together.. If you don't want to stuff around as much as I did you can buy the chip it dpf delete pipe from them for around $350 which will save you trying to do what I did.. I'm just not sure if the O2 sensor is spaced out on their pipe or not.. Anyway if you get stuck just give us a yell..

Excellent advice mate, I also have a dpf in my 08 stx keen to get rid of it before I have any problems like this.

So this bung your talking about. How when and where lol. I thought you said you just ha to space it back lol. The guy from Nissan actually told my mate we could put a straight pipe in. 3 1/2 inch pipe from turbo to existing pipe ?? Just don't want to get a bum steer.

Cheers

So this bung your talking about. How when and where lol. I thought you said you just ha to space it back lol. The guy from Nissan actually told my mate we could put a straight pipe in. 3 1/2 inch pipe from turbo to existing pipe ?? Just don't want to get a bum steer.

Cheers

If you give me until Saturday I will pull it off and take pics of it.. It's basically a sleeve that has a 3mm hole at the end of it which taps back into the original fitting.. Let me see what I got left ill get back to you..

Ok so this is a picture of the heat prob I had one left over.. That's what the bung for the o2 sensor looks like but bigger thread, same principal. The engineer I got to do for me replicated the factory ones in steel.. Mate I can get these made up again but it's not going to be cheap as they need to be fabricated.. If your after just the o2 spacer I might be able to help you out.. Are you in Brisbane?

Attachments

• image-1622721275.jpg
    image-1622721275.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 36
Nah mate I'm in sydney. I'm not great with technical car bits. Thanks for all your help

Your probably right it's $350 still cheaper then $2000 for a dpf :)

How much did yours cost 4byfor. And you got rid of the cat and DPF ?? I thought I read on the chip it site something about having to change the cat later or something. I'm not sure, I'm kind of on info overload at the moment.

There's a thread on cat and dpf delete. Short answer, you can remove the dpf but not the cat.

So all you did was dump pipe from turbo which replaces the DPF. I'm assuming the cat is fitted after the DPF. Any way I could contact you 4byfor

The removal of the cat as well on the model that has the dpf presents issues with white smoke not successfully sorted as far as I'm aware. Boss Hog did all this and plenty of dramas with reoccurring issue.

The removal of the cat as well on the model that has the dpf presents issues with white smoke not successfully sorted as far as I'm aware. Boss Hog did all this and plenty of dramas with reoccurring issue.

Well I can prove that that's not the case as I have done it on mine.. I never drop any white smoke just black smoke under full throttle and take off.. Normal crusing I don't see any smoke.. I have never had a regen after I did the mods inc 3" dump pipe.

There is only 1 way to do it. After you do all this, remove dpf and cat then replace with dump pipe and straight through pipe where dpf was. Then you must space the O2 sensor out and connect the pressure lines together. You MUST have the car ecu reset by nissan as if it were having a new dpf installed. It's a certain procedure that's done not just a reset of the ecu and fuel curve.. That is the only way you bypass the regen cycle it will never read soot build up because there will never be any hence no regen.. No white smoke.

white smoke = burning oil caused by overfilling the oil level or bad turbo seals
black smoke = uncombusted fuel
in short a small amount of black smoke under load is acceptable as factory ecu mapping is overly rich to ensure no lean conditions which cause preignition and engine damage
white smoke- bad

Latest posts

Back