Black/white smoke only when accelerating ...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ieuan1992

Reaction score
Hi guys only my second post on here been a while!
So I've had my 2006 D40 (2.5 manual ) coming up to a year now the engine was fully rebuilt no more than 10,000miles ago I've noticed that when I accelerate mostly hard accelerateing it can throw out black smoke but also white smoke aswell ? Now the black smoke part doesn't worry me but the white does I'm not 100% clued up on mechanics so was just needing some help in identifying what the cause of it is.
I was thinking the white smoke is water vapour so head gasket but it's not bubbling up or anything in the radiator and doesn't get hot even if I drive it hard only seems to be underload aswell so if I just let it idle or rev it up nothing 🤔 doesn't seem down on power or anything apart from today I put my foot down and it went into what I could only describe as limp mode but nothing came up on the dash turned on a d off again and it's fine.
Could it be injectors? Unburnt fuel maybe? It's not clouds of white smoke by any means but its enough for me to notice Or could it be urbo seals but also around the same time as the engine was rebuilt it had a hybrid turbo
Any help would be appreciated I love the truck but I don't want to start buying fancy bits for it until I know the engin is soild l. Cheers guys and thank you

typically its oil from the turbo evaporating in the exhaust. especially if you have no cat.
but it also can be pushed out if the breather system is blocked, ie have a blocked up catch can.

typically its oil from the turbo evaporating in the exhaust. especially if you have no cat.
but it also can be pushed out if the breather system is blocked, ie have a blocked up catch can.
Hi thanks for the reply ! I still have the Cat on there and OK where is the catch can located is 5here one on there as standard ? Cheers

Hi thanks for the reply ! I still have the Cat on there and OK where is the catch can located is 5here one on there as standard ? Cheers
catch cans are not factory but you can check the breather hose which goes from the pre turbo air pipes to the rocker cover.
very rarely it can be the breather baffles in the rocker cover, but thats usually on really old cars.

I'm not sure on this regarding turbochargers.

On farm tractors I remember the turbo (Holder) having a bit of a leak.

I asked dealer what's the issue and cure?. He said it's very normal on idling long periods.
He told me the common practice is to work it hard which always worked.

I'm not sure on this regarding turbochargers.

On farm tractors I remember the turbo (Holder) having a bit of a leak.

I asked dealer what's the issue and cure?. He said it's very normal on idling long periods.
He told me the common practice is to work it hard which always worked.

diesels tend to have a lot of blowby when at idle, so they can throw a fair bit of oil out the breather, or if the breather is small/blocked it can cause sump backpressure causing oil to come out of turbo seals or even crank seals.
cylinder glazing from idling for long periods makes it even worse.

I have same sort issue on mine, the smokes sort a gray, not black at all but gets darker on hills under load & I also am getting limp mode with no code. Happens on freeway & is scary and not safe.

Suction control valve..
Fuel rail pressure reg..
Then the pedal dance to reset ecu & fuel pump.
That's supposed to be most likely fix for that limp mode.
Doing it next week.

Done just about everything else & got this limp mode issue still.

The smoke actually started a few weeks ago randomly after i had a blocked up turbo & fixed it.
I ran alot of tanks with Turbo cleaner & Diesel fuel treatment & fixed the turbo problem,
Now im stick with permanent smog.
Which is dodgy at night when it van be more seen.

I will fit the SCV & FPR, and check those breather turbo pipes someone described to you. Mine are probably blocked,i have 300k km ... So lot of miles on it. And i did fix the turbo & prob started right there. Alot of oil blow by went thru it, turbo cleaner, etc might have caked breather piping.

Try the breather piping.

One other thing i think could solve your prob, if it isn't that...
Is dropping the fuel tank & completely cleaning it, including the fuel pickup inside.

Someone suggested that to me but i haven't done it yet.

I guess the fastest way to see what's causing the smoke is to have the exhaust gas analysed. I thought I had a turbo on its way out, the local mechanic threw a gas analyser on and told me it was unburnt diesel. Turned out I had faulty DPF sensors (you will NOT have that problem, yours won't have been fitted with a DPF).

Latest posts

Back