Intercooler Hard Pipe Upgrade?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok cool, did u have any turbo whistle with just your snorkle & standard airbox?
Hmm... i wondering if removing the standard airbox would give you enough room to mount a second battery in there...

I also am keen to put a K&N air box in as I have had the standard one out before when I fitted my snorkal and it looks like there's room for a dual Batt system.

And also Plazamaman has now got the hot pipe for the 2012+ Spain D40s available on eBay which I will be purchasing very soon:)

there is room for a battery but only a smaller one...

and usually that means its not a big capacity maybe only 3-40amhr

Just be careful with the oil-impregnated filters - they do release small quantities of oil into the intake, which are picked up by the MAFS - there's a little wire inside that's heated (it's how the MAFS works) and when the oil hits it, carbon deposits are left on the wire. After a time, the MAFS becomes useless - $400 thank you Mr Nissan.

do these pipes definitely work or is it a subjective thing in terms of the response to boost?
Are there any other benefits to be obtained other than more responsive boost?

Define "works"? They just provide more response. Its not a major mod and one shouldnt be expecting big results.

Its a small, cheap upgrade that all goes towards making your Nav that little bit nicer to drive. The factory turbo pipes swell up like balloons under boost, these dont (obviously being steel). I wrapped mine in heatshield as well to keep the steel pipe a bit cooler thus keeping intake temp down a little bit also.

I wrapped mine in heatshield as well to keep the steel pipe a bit cooler thus keeping intake temp down a little bit also.

The insulation will do little or nothing. The charge air temp on full boost is probably in the vicinity of 120C over ambient before the Intercooler. Well above the under bonnet temp.

With the volume and velocity of the charge air thru that pipe there would be little or no heat exchange one way or the other.

I'd be removing the heat shield, it will allow the charge air to shed a fraction of 1 degree C or so before it hits the intercooler - insulating it will keep it hotter! Charge air temps go from >100C to over 200C, under-bonnet temps typically around 90C-100C depending on load and proximity to exhaust manifold.

I did both the apollo air filter and the hard piping a week apart, and sweet jesus between 2000rpm and 3000rpm the snorkel screams and if i lay of the gas it sounds like ive put an aftermarket blow off valve in there its ridiculous. I've noticed a big increase in turbo response and general torque to match the screaming.

uzxc.jpg

oekw.jpg

I did both the apollo air filter and the hard piping a week apart, and sweet jesus between 2000rpm and 3000rpm the snorkel screams and if i lay of the gas it sounds like ive put an aftermarket blow off valve in there its ridiculous. I've noticed a big increase in turbo response and general torque to match the screaming.

That looks tidy ... nice one! I presume it could work without a snorkel as well?

Where did you score the piping that runs from the turbo to the Apollo filter if you don't mind me asking?

That looks tidy ... nice one! I presume it could work without a snorkel as well?

Where did you score the piping that runs from the turbo to the Apollo filter if you don't mind me asking?

i just grabbed an eBay intercooler pipe kit, came with all different types of bends and silicon couplers, worked a treat. Yeah i reckon you'd just remove the air box and plumb it up to stock intake pipe.

uzxc.jpg

oekw.jpg

hey mate just wondering how you put the air flow sensor into the pipe just after the air filter?

hey mate just wondering how you put the air flow sensor into the pipe just after the air filter?

hi mate, the apollo filter kit came with a MAF sensor adapter, so i hacked that to pieces then cut a slot out in the hard pipe. Tec screwed the cut out adapter plate onto the pipe with a nice bead of silicon around the plate.

fio8.jpg

Last edited:
Other then ebay where is the best places to get alloy mandrel bent to the angle you need??

Latest posts

Back