Help from anybody? Zd30 noise?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveit

Reaction score
ZD30 Rattle.....help from anybody?

Hi guys just bought a zd30 str 03 model 115,000kms

Ute goes great and sounds great but while it was running today i lifted the bonnet and there seems to be a rattling coming from the front of the motor im not sure if its normal or not.... I can hear the normal diesel rattle but this is different.

I could only find a couple of videos on you tube of a zd30 running and mine sounds the same

Does anyone elses have a chain rattle noise that is audible only at the front of the motor while idling? I can only hear it with bonnet open and i have to be at the front of the motor if i move around the side the normal diesel rattle takes over

One thing i noted is that it DOESNT do it on cold starts untill its been running for a few minutes

Can someone else see if theirs does it?

UPDATE VIDEOS PAGE 3

Last edited:
Tappets are bucket and shim type - so short of replacing shims there's little you can do.

But here's a thought - capture the noise on video and post it up for us to listen to.

I have it on video from my iphone ill try work out how to post it? Im 100% sure it is the TOP of the timing chain basically coming from where the cam gear is... Also 100% confirmed it gets louder as the zd30 gets hotter ( dead silent when started cold in morning) ... At full temp its very loud when standing at the front of motor .... As i said when bonnet closed sitting still and driving it is extremely smooth and quiet cant hear a thing.

Im trying to find a mate with a zd30 to see if its normal to have noise there?

Last edited:
Hey mate i have a very similiar (if not the exact same noise) can only hear it when the engine is warmed up a lil and the bonnet is popped. If it is the timing belt/chain can anyone tell me if it is a problem or is it a normal noise??

Cheers bart

Ive got a feeling its a worn tensioner i listened to 2 gu patrols with zd30's today .... They dont have the rattle mine has .... I guess ill have to rip it apart and check tensioners

called nissan zd30 pro dudes....and they said they never see issues with zd30 tensioners....hoping now its not an oil pressure issue....going to try and get a gauge this week

belt tensioner are a common problem. ton of info on patrol forums.
timing chain tensioner problem would be fairly rare.

i put a long screw driver directly on the belt tensioner itself....absolutely silent

belt tensioner are a common problem. ton of info on patrol forums.
timing chain tensioner problem would be fairly rare.

What he said. Whats the serpentine belt like ?

They can cause noises when they need replacing.

Have also replaced a few 1-way/sprag clutches on the front of the alternator as well. Out of interest- when was the last oil & filter change done?
Cheers

Just did delo400 and filter last weekend.... Made Zero difference .... With screwdriver right on the alternator is dead quiet .... Same with water pump... Same with serpentine belt tensioner .... As for screwdriver on motor ive tried everywhere its all so rattly its hard to tell whats what...

The noise is dead silent when cold as it warms it gets louder when its at full temp its quite loud to me sounds like a rattle in the timing chain case....

Next task is run without serp belt while the engine is warm

Then oil pressure test

Then timing chain tensioner i guess

Took belt off while at full temp .... The noise is definitely still there ..... Im even thinking valve train tapping ..... So hard to tell while running

Hey loveit, My 3L D22 does exactly the same noise as yours. Quite on start up then gets tappy as it warms up. Have you found out what the issue is/was?

hi srajacic....ive booked it in to get some nissan techs to pull it apart friday ....im putting money on either timing chain tensioner or tappets.

will post when i hear something from them

try taking your serpentine belt off and running the car when its hot....see if the noise is still there.....everybody reckons the first 2 parts to go are the alternator pullys and the serpentine belt tensioner.

Hey loveit, im with you mate. Im pretty sure that it is timing chain tensioner related or tappets. Im keen to hear what your nissan techs say about it. Please post when you know. I am flat out this week but next week I have booked the car in for an inspection by a D22 guru who is going to have quick look at the car for me and give me his opinion. Ill also post this info when I get it.

Back