Help from anybody? Zd30 noise?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard an 03 yesterday with 114,000kms was dead silent when cold and had the exact same rattle as mine when up to temp.... So either (a) its a completely normal rattle that we all have in every zd30 or (b) 2 exact same d22's with same kms both have the same issue whether it be timing chain or whatever

I need to listen to more

Hey loveit, did you get the nissan techs to pull it apart the othe day? What did they say?

they wouldnt touch it....said its a normal noise cya later....another shop(mates shop) looked at it and was very worried about it and said it was timing chain slap...

BUT! since then i have gotten a hold of 2 other navaras....one with 114,000 one with 140,000.....both have the exact same rattle as mine....so im convinced its a characteristic of the motor?

Listened to 2 patrols both definitely dont have the rattle.... 3 navaras do but 2 patrols dont?????

I listened to one today purely out of interest, I think I could also hear the rattle, wasn't sure what was causing it though...

Sure did tweak .... It had no change .... One mechanic reckons not to drive the car untill they inspect chain guides .... But since then every nav we looked at has the same noise

did the rest the engine quieten down a bit? hoping you could hear where the noise was coming from a bit better.

otherwise just get it on video so others can understand what your on about.

Last edited:
Sounds like mine, just with a slighty faster idle (well is sounds like that) which would be the rattle your explaining.

which noise is the problem noise?

i hear the fast tick,tick noise which is the injection pump. there a slower slap noise which almost sounds like piston slap or poor injector.

Its the fast tick noise sounds almost like tappets.... Deisel pump is silent when using stethascope .... The noise is coming from front cover as diagnosed by me and a few mechanics

Also something i noticed when driving today but the rattling noise can be hear very clearly when using the gears to slow down a hill.... Its the only noise from the engine when de accelerating .... Sounds like tappets sorta

As i said im convinced its normal ( 2 other navaras are the same) but its interesting patrols dont have the rattle

Not sure whether or not its normal, however i to have the same noise on my zd30 mate, cant here it with the bonnet down but when its upto temp and the bonnets popped you can. I will try get a chance to go listen to my mums zd30 patrol and see if hers does or not.

Bart

Hey loveit, I have heard patrols with the same noise. I have also heard navaras that do not have the noise. Mine is fairly loud at full temp. Definitely can hear it with the bonnet down.

I pulled up next to a patrol at a set of lights the other day and his bonnet was right next to my window and the "noise" was as clear as day.

Weird i listened to 2 patrols both were silent .... Im still trying to find a navara that doesnt do it .... I still reckon its timing chain slapping

Hey mate, its my first day on this site. I had to register to let you know what I discovered my engine noise was. I have an 03 zd30 navara, bought it with a known engine issue very cheap. Have been driving it for 6 months with this annoying ticking and clunk. Removed the front end and sump today to find balance shaft floating in the breeze, The gear on the front stripped and the bearings laying in the sump. The negine seems to perform ok but wont be putting it back together in this state. Have been doing some reserch on running with balance shafts removed, will eliminate this failure issue once and for all. I think alot of ppl overlook this noise and arent aware this shaft is probably already damaged. Good luck with your issue. cheers to all

My noise is not the same it is a ticking and rattling as you say but absolutely not there when cold.....

As i said i have listened to 5 zd30 navaras every single one have this horrible noise... i doubt they all shat balance shaft bearings

Last oil change i ran a magnet through my sump and it came up clean.... Im guessing my horrible tiking rattle in the timing cover ia normal i dunno??

Latest posts

Back