Forefront Turbo and Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybird

Reaction score
Has anyone here fitted a Forefront turbo to a ZD30 and is regularly towing that can tell me if this turbo made a difference. I regularly tow a caravan and Im looking for a bit more grunt. I have fitted the intercooler and blocked the EGR so now looking at turbo replacement.
Thanks
Terry

Terry,
The way I have been told the difference is a quicker and stronger spool up. It still won't help you to get 2tonne of van going on a slope but should make things easier. I would look at the Beaudesert exhaust to compliment it, lower egt's as well.

definately agree with HJ,

It is a slight performance improvement over the standard turbo, but alot better built and stronger.
If you haven't already got an exhaust, id look into one first then another turbo.

if you want grunt you have to add more fuel.
having the IC is good as that will keep egt temps down so it can handle extra fuel.
the other plus of chipping it is it get rid of that lack of power in the low rpm's.

Bit of a thread revival, just looking for some testimonials on Forefront's billet wheel turbo.
Does it actually outflow the std unit? And does it indeed spool faster by any measurable amount?
Has anyone logged, or at least observed boost/rpms, EGT's, intake charge temps and what-not with one of these puppies fitted?

Already have chip and exhaust, thinking of giving the old girl a birthday with an I/C and turbo to try and keep up with all these Rangers.

Can anyone confirm these pull harder earlier and further than stock?

Tossing up whether to buy new ute or chuck some money at 'ol betsy. Depends what the accountant says next week, but id kinda prefer to keep it cos its a tuff rig with no electronic bullshit.

Cant comment on forefronts, but my GCG billet for my Patrol actually lost power in the top end with the standard boost. Stock turbo on Patrol is only reliable up to 22psi, so the advantage of the billet wheel is able to run higher boost. I assume Forefront will be the same.

a good aftermarket turbo should consist of a strong housing high speed bearings and a good blade with correct pitch setting. so i say genuine billet housing / high speed non asian bearings / a good strong fan blade that can suck and let out quick air. wind up the psi and let it go knowing it won,t blow.

Ok, so its not like how when your arse dyno cant tell you're running more boost on a diesel untill you tip more fuel in is it? Because i can tip more fuel in.

The idea of the billet wheel appeals to me as they *should* be more efficient, and flow more for a given size (or flow the same for a smaller size), and spool should be marginally better for the same size because there is less material in the wheel.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the turbo i have, its just money the taxman wont get, and preventative maintenance at the same time.

If there is no performance improvement at all, as in at least lower intake temps, higher MAF readings, or earlier spool then I'd probably give it a miss.

I have the forefront d40 turbo...i cannot recall what the figures for the older turbo were....as in egts and output temps...but i can confirm that it will pump some hot hot air when it gets wound up over what jamie reccomends (21-22) psi for a d40...close to 30psi on a long freeway run its at around 200°c output temps...spool starts around 2000rpm (10psi).it really spools quickly at around 2500rpm but it will hit 30psi by 3300-3500rpm..
Overall flow im not sure its any better as i can still smoke out all the way up too 4500rpm..but im adding a fair bit of fuel and methanol these days....EGTs are just passable still tho on a full throttle run untill half way thru 4th gear...its pushing 800°c by then.and still a A/F ratio of around 16-17/1 with my foot planted..
Id call the forefront turbos a great replacement turbo....but not somthing to buy if your looking for a bigger one.

Wow sounds like youv'e really got that thing tweaked up. Must go like the clappers.
Would you say the forefront was an improvement over stock in any way?

It make me smile when im driving..but Yes its a improvement and great for the price...what engine do you have in your nav Mr Chop? .. im concerned about its lifespan when in a performance setup as im pretty sure my front seal is currently weeping...my bad tho...im pushing it.

Its just a zd30 with exhaust and chip, running about 18psi. Dont think ill up the boost at all but thinking about chucking the turbo and intercooler at it and if the egts go down will dial the fuel up a bit.

Thought much about rumpigs remap? Im sure he would have a hot version kicking around somewhere.......mix that up with a new cooler and a turbo and she would be getting pretty sporty

Can you use a d40 forefront turbo on your ZD donk? After talking with some of the euro guys about the d40s turbo it should be good for 200hp of air supply...they are both vnt turbos....can be that hard to swap in the higher pressure d40 one.?

Latest posts

Back