turbo replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonD40

Reaction score
Hey all, I just replaced my turbo with a second hand one that I purchased from a wrecker. When took it for a test drive for the first time you can barely hear it spool and it felt like there’s no turbo at all, barely any power. I reset the ECU and it made a big difference, the turbo spools and can feel it working correctly. Just wondering if anyone knows why the ECU reset fixed this issue and if it’s something that I should be concerned about?

I’ve also noticed that the turbo whistle sounds different compared to the one that I replaced it with and they’re both Garrets.

I’ll also attach a link to a video of it being revved in neutral and just wondering if it sounds fine? for some peace of mind haha

I had a listen, I don't hear anything untoward. It would be a good idea to go over the air path between the turbo and the intake manifold and check for boost leaks, which are a common cause of noise change. Also check the exhaust manifold -> turbocharger turbine intake connection for leaks (mine did this and it sounded terrible).

No surprise that the ECU reset changed how it managed the turbo, really. The ECU manages the BCS which controls how much the turbocharger can spin. We don't usually see this sort of thing, but there you go, we might save some people some $$ by not having to replace the BCS if it can be solved by a reset!

I had a listen, I don't hear anything untoward. It would be a good idea to go over the air path between the turbo and the intake manifold and check for boost leaks, which are a common cause of noise change. Also check the exhaust manifold -> turbocharger turbine intake connection for leaks (mine did this and it sounded terrible).

No surprise that the ECU reset changed how it managed the turbo, really. The ECU manages the BCS which controls how much the turbocharger can spin. We don't usually see this sort of thing, but there you go, we might save some people some $$ by not having to replace the BCS if it can be solved by a reset!
Thanks Tony! I greatly appreciate the work you put into this forum and helping everyone out :)

Latest posts

Back