Forefront Turbo and Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah apparently the pistons can shit themselves. I'm not trying to break any records, just want to optimise what ive got without increasing EGTs much more or redesigning anything too much.

Yep i hear ya....who can chime in with some safe power level and recipe for a zd30? Surely a turbs and cooler kit is worthwhile....
If i were you id give jamie at forefront a call and check with him...you might be able to upp the boost on the new turbo a little more....he is a pretty approachable guy when it come to what his parts will and wont do.

Can you use a d40 forefront turbo on your ZD donk? After talking with some of the euro guys about the d40s turbo it should be good for 200hp of air supply...they are both vnt turbos....can be that hard to swap in the higher pressure d40 one.?
Not for zd30 navara. The patrols are vnt, but the navaras are a standard wastegated turbo...

Im thinking about getting a forefront turbo for my zd30. Its got a 3inch exhaust, front mount intercooler, running rumpigs tune at 18 psi. It goes good but would like egts to come down a little. Think the billet turbo should help. Also thinking about trying a new front mount. Im not sure that my forefront intercooler is doing much anymore

I've got my wastegate opening properly now after modding the aftermarket dump pipe and have killed the cat and EGT's only dropped a small amount running 20 psi. I think the A/R ratio of the turbine is what keeps the temps relatively high, even thou the AFR'S are around 20-1. Forefronts turbo has the same rear as a stock turbo so EGTs will always be a problem when going for more power. I am doing the quarter in around 19 secs thou.

I think twin turbo and nitrous is pushing it but not a turbo upgrade.
Was more asking the question....whats a comfortable HP goal for the ZD30? And is Rabbid-chop going to be happy with his rig when it gets there.

Oh ok, who knows really. Iv heard of zd30 making big gains with a mike vane turbo upgrade. Think he was using vnt turbos. And claiming over 900 nm of torque. But how long would it last

Oh ok, who knows really. Iv heard of zd30 making big gains with a mike vane turbo upgrade. Think he was using vnt turbos. And claiming over 900 nm of torque. But how long would it last
No way in the world you'll get 900nm, the Mike Vine upgrade with Garret turbo upgrade is about 128hp at the wheels.

I get 1100Nm at the rear wheesl on the Patrol, but it's an auto which makes a big difference.

Yeah, not quite... I know it's going off topic, but the dyno sheets on his site don't state anywhere near 900nm at the wheels. I guess it's easy for some people to pull the wool over other's eyes when they don't know what they're looking at...

So, the torque figures he's got listed are quite clearly "lb" which is only measuring the tractive effort. It isn't anywhere near that number in "nM" as it is a completely different measurement... this is an old thread, but will help explain it. You have to scroll down a bit, but it shows how to turn a "lb" torque measurement to tractive effort ("n") and then into "nM" to work out your correct torque figure....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/archive/index.php/t-23251.html

Id be happy if it spools up a couple hundred rpm sooner and IATs are lower for the same amount of boost compared to the stock turbo. Not looking to set the world on fire.

I've got a chip. Might not necessarily be a "good" chip but does the job. Comes on pretty strong down low, as evidenced by a puff of smoke and the old butt dyno, but i feel it could use more air down low to smooth things out, and if the turbo flows more up top then i will dial the chip up accordingly.

I wasn't sure if I should stick my beak in here or not.
My old gal goes ok but the turbo is a bit slow picking up.
I don't know if it's the original turbo or not.
But, I've just found when towing a bit of weight, the turbo takes a bit to kick in. I've got to increase the revs, more foot on the floor.
Does the Forefront turbo for the ZD30 work better ?
I think it is supposed to "spool" faster, what ever that means.
So where do I go ? I'm not chipping, I don't believe in it.

I wasn't sure if I should stick my beak in here or not.
My old gal goes ok but the turbo is a bit slow picking up.
I don't know if it's the original turbo or not.
But, I've just found when towing a bit of weight, the turbo takes a bit to kick in. I've got to increase the revs, more foot on the floor.
Does the Forefront turbo for the ZD30 work better ?
I think it is supposed to "spool" faster, what ever that means.
So where do I go ? I'm not chipping, I don't believe in it.

Sticking your beak in is the best way to learn haha. I won't say you won't get any benefit from changing the turbo, you may do if your current one isn't in good shape. I will say though, you won't get a decent power increase without adding more fuel. The only way to do that is either a chip that holds the spill valve open longer, or one of rumpigs remapped ecu chips. If I had a zd30 and wanted a bit more poke out of it, I'd be hitting rumpig up for an ecu chip and chucking that in. It does require desoldering the current ecu chip and soldering a socket in its place, but that's not a big challenge lol.

Latest posts

Back