Egt going up!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkarlos

Reaction score
hi guys,
I may be worrying about nothing but I thought I would ask for some feed back.
I had my chip it module installed about 9 mths ago and I have had nothing but trouble free motoring since then, but, I have noticed that over the past couple of months, my average egt's have increased by about 50degrees with the exact same average driving conditions. this concerned me so I switched off the chip. but even the factory Nissan egt's have gone up slightly too. I am wondering if this has to do with hot weather because this is the first summer that I have driven this truck.
if this is the case, should I switch the chip back on or should I wait for cooler weather.
my average egt's with the chip on is between 480-575, and switched off is about 430-500. this under normal load, no towing, no head wind, just general driving on normal highways and cursing at 110kph.
Egt sensor is in the dump pipe, post turbo. only other mod is egr block which was done by diesel-tech in Lilydale.
So having said all this, then what the hell is the working egt range for this vehicle without doing damage?. I have spent a lot of time on this and I can't seem to get any straight answers so far,
many thanks in advance guys.
BigKarlos.

Im sure you know the the egt sensor after the turbo is not the best place to get accurate readings as you will always be second guessing the actual egt before something is damaged.

430-500 post turbo sounds slightly high to me for a stock engine but i dont run a zd30 so not sure what a standard egt is for one of those.

I would check you inlet ports for blocking from soot from the egr system. Being blocked it should have cleared up a bit but you never know.
Then check the coolant system is operating correctly?
Cat blockage? They are easy to belt out and with high mileage they dont do much anyway.
Airfilter?
Common zd30 problems like maf/map sensor or whatever else causes them to blow up?

If you had your egt probe pre turbo 700 deg is where you need to really look at how everything is setup.

Given an approx 200 deg drop post turbo drop you are right in that area.

Last edited:
my average egt's with the chip on is between 480-575, and switched off is about 430-500. this under normal load, no towing, no head wind, just general driving on normal highways and cursing at 110kph.
Egt sensor is in the dump pipe, post turbo. only other mod is egr block which was done by diesel-tech in Lilydale.

your EGT's sound WAY to high even without the chip. mind you your reading at 110km/h. can you take some readings at 100km/h and what boost its doing.

for me i get 500 after turbo when full noise with a full load. typical cruise is 200-300.
i would check air filter, i hit 550+ going up a hill with full load on (back the throttle off) and it turned out my filter had clogged up with dust.

The 2010 STR has a 2.5L AND an intercooler. I'd be worried with those temps while cruising (you wrote "cursing", I guess someone will come along later and give you curry for that).

The turbocharger will absorb somewhere between 150 and 200C - so as the others have said, having the probe AFTER the turbo means the actual EGT - the bit that does the damage - is just guesswork.

As for what causes it - it could be fuel, it could be timing - the crank angle sensor has to be right, or the injectors will open at the wrong time.

hi guys,
I may be worrying about nothing but I thought I would ask for some feed back.
I had my chip it module installed about 9 mths ago and I have had nothing but trouble free motoring since then, but, I have noticed that over the past couple of months, my average egt's have increased by about 50degrees with the exact same average driving conditions. this concerned me so I switched off the chip. but even the factory Nissan egt's have gone up slightly too. I am wondering if this has to do with hot weather because this is the first summer that I have driven this truck.
if this is the case, should I switch the chip back on or should I wait for cooler weather.
So having said all this, then what the hell is the working egt range for this vehicle without doing damage?. I have spent a lot of time on this and I can't seem to get any straight answers so far,
many thanks in advance guys.
BigKarlos.

hi, hope this helps, I have the zd30 so you would expect some differences, but since i installed my probe, i have noticed an average temp of around 300ish degrees C post turbo under normal conditions, highest i have got it was about 430, but i havent really "loaded" it up yet on a long climb.

I must admit, I haven't changed to a different tune since I had the chip installed. maybe things are different now that the engine has run in and a different tune is required. I think I will book it in for a 20k service (it's got 17500 on it at the moment.) and I will get it on the dyno while I am at it. For all I know, the sensor could be giving a wrong reading for some reason. I just don't know and I'm not going to chance a blown turbo from waiting til 20k clicks around. bye the way, i have had a snorkel fitted since day one so I checked the air cleaner and there are no issues that I can see there.

Latest posts

Back