Differences in the same model d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
OK, so I picked up the new D22 last Thursday arvo; I traded the 2010 in on it. They are the same model/series & even the same colour.

On the W/E we took it up to the southern Flinders to get the 800km's on the clock so I could tow a trailer with it at work today.

Mission accomplished! It had 848km's on it when we got home. I went out of my way to vary speed & revs all the way to run it in properly.

I am amazed at the differences between driving the 2 of them!

* the 2010 always used to pull to the left - regardless of wheel alignment. The new one actually pulls to the right!

* The clutch on the new one of very soft & light. The old one's clutch was always hard & heavy.

* steering! The new one is far more direct.

* THIS IS THE BIG ONE: the new one takes off with a loaded trailer without any hassles. The 2010 ALWAYS struggled with a full trailer on hill starts. Not so with the new one.

So far, so good, I like him! I think he & I will be mates! :love sign:

Thats interesting to here as i have 2010 with 60 k and was debating an upgrade
mine is a dog to take off with the trailer uphill. Nothing a chip wont fix. maybe you
got a better one this time... ben

weird, I might have to go test drive one to see, I owned two 2.5 D22's before upgrading to a 3.0L anyway both of them took off pretty badly without any load, I'd hate to think what it would be like towing a trailer, the 3.0L you can at least take off in second with a little bit more clutch riding.

what RPM does it sit at doing 100km/h out of interest? also what tyre size? just the stock 31's?

depends my 2012 d22 sits at 2500 rpm at 100 on the speedo with standard tyres. pity the speedo is out by miles and its more like 2750rpm when your really doing 100

Thats interesting to here as i have 2010 with 60 k and was debating an upgrade
mine is a dog to take off with the trailer uphill. Nothing a chip wont fix. maybe you
got a better one this time... ben

I'm thinking that maybe you're right there Ben, maybe they're all different?

I took the top off a tree yesterday at Modbury & this one dragged the green to the dump, no issues (8x5 dual axle trailer - green chomped with a chainsaw & jumped on till it resembled a weetbix). The old one would have done it too, but this time it was more "car like" if that makes sense?

Took the top off a BIG tree today; the trailer is LOADED & the ute took off from traffic lights on the way home no issues (not quick - lots of weight in that trailer - just much easier than the old one)

1st tank; got 700kms from it. Never, ever got that from the old one.

Why are you thinking of trading yours mate?

Cheers!

weird, I might have to go test drive one to see, I owned two 2.5 D22's before upgrading to a 3.0L anyway both of them took off pretty badly without any load, I'd hate to think what it would be like towing a trailer, the 3.0L you can at least take off in second with a little bit more clutch riding.

what RPM does it sit at doing 100km/h out of interest? also what tyre size? just the stock 31's?

Don't get me wrong 180, it still no WRX; its just different to the last one.

I tow a trailer with the day's work in it most days, I had 2 full sized trees in the trailer last December - I live in the foothills & I got home, no probs.

I've also pulled a full sized Stringy Bark in the trailer up the Grove Way with it, again with no probs

The trailer weighs around 400kg with chainsaws etc in the toolbox.

I hear what you're saying about taking off in 2nd gear! Most Utes I've owned before do that easily. These 2.5's won't do it.

Sorry, didn't sit on 100kmh, so can't help.

Cheers,

Kevin.

well when you get a chance can you tell us what rpm your doing at 100, just be interesting if they finally fitted 4.6 diffs to them.

My 2013 sits at 2250rpm at 100 according to the speedo. So probs about 93 really. Interesting thread though as I have read many people find the 2.5's underpowered on takeoff but I really think it comes down to how you drive it. I tow 2 horses from wonga park to coldstream twice a week and recon it handles it beautifully. Both horses weigh around 600 - 650kg and the float is an old wooden one converted from a tandem trailer. It's not a light trailer by any means. Total weight would be getting close to 2 tonne.
There is one hill on the way back that the car struggles at and it's probs close too 45 degree incline and if I have to stop at the lights it's a bit hard to takeoff but it will happily hold 60km in 4th while towing. Small price to pay for 800km per fill up.
Love it.

My 2013 sits at 2250rpm at 100 according to the speedo. So probs about 93 really. Interesting thread though as I have read many people find the 2.5's underpowered on takeoff but I really think it comes down to how you drive it. I tow 2 horses from wonga park to coldstream twice a week and recon it handles it beautifully. Both horses weigh around 600 - 650kg and the float is an old wooden one converted from a tandem trailer. It's not a light trailer by any means. Total weight would be getting close to 2 tonne.
There is one hill on the way back that the car struggles at and it's probs close too 45 degree incline and if I have to stop at the lights it's a bit hard to takeoff but it will happily hold 60km in 4th while towing. Small price to pay for 800km per fill up.
Love it.

Wow 800 Kim's per tank best I've ever seen is low 6s in three yrs. may relate to driving style. Ha ha ben

I come from a group of 4 mates with d22's various year models all 2.5 each one is different in terms of power and economy and all blow smoke, has this issue now been resolved ?.

Actually, this one blows more than the last one. The old one only ever really blew smoke at WOT. I've noticed that I pretty much have a smoke trail behind me every time I take off in this one.

I'm loving the way it drives though! I had to drive home up lower NE road yesterday with a big job in the trailer (missed closing time at the dump) He pulled like a champ al the way. Big smile as I passed a Hilux towing a small tradie trailer :)

I'd be worried about EGT's if my ute was blowing smoke the whole time, should maybe get that checked out.

I'm with 180. The only time I see smoke is at about 3250 rpm (the highest I go) in third gear. No noticeable smoke in any other gears. Is yours getting close to an oil change?

I'd be worried about EGT's if my ute was blowing smoke the whole time, should maybe get that checked out.

Its not blowing it all the time, just on take off & from what I've read on here, that seems pretty common? All in all, its brand new & I'll let it settle in a bit before I worry too much.

I'm with 180. The only time I see smoke is at about 3250 rpm (the highest I go) in third gear. No noticeable smoke in any other gears. Is yours getting close to an oil change?

That's what I was saying about the old one I had; it only ever blew smoke at WOT (wide open throttle). For me, that is 3000 rpm, usually up a steep hill. The new one seems different.

No oil change just yet, but Its in for its 1,000km service tomorrow. I might dump the oil after that.

Sound's normal that puff when it takes off i have never noticed one that doesn't do it also you will find after 10k it will go a tad better as it breaks in also the smoke reduces.

Sound's normal that puff when it takes off i have never noticed one that doesn't do it also you will find after 10k it will go a tad better as it breaks in also the smoke reduces.

If it goes better after 10k I will be even happier than I am right now with it. :)

my 2.5's blew smoke on take off as well, he just made it sound like its billowing smoke everywhere he goes, by comparison I never see my ZD30 blow smoke even at night through the headlights of other cars.

Latest posts

Back