diff locks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which locker

• rear air

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • front air

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • front auto locker

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • both front and rear air

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
I think im personally going to go with a LOKKA now as it is WAY cheaper than the other two alternatives. If I find that im still battling for traction then I will look at a rear locker.

With your body lift and suspension lift and your 33s along with a Lokka, you will be unstoppable bro.

Smart financial choice..... Once u get use to changing your driving style, you'll love it. The trick it easing off the throttle when wanting to turn and the AL will unlock allowing u to turn more freely, apply more throttle and it's locked again.....

The AL is pretty locked always under throttle and only unlocks with little to no throttle at all.

Did some homework today and got some interesting results

ARB Air Lockers front and rear installed with high output compressor $4000

E Lockers from Opposite lock; rear $1600 ($2200 installed), front they do not offer yet, im told its a month or so away, $1600 for the locker then another $600 - 700 for labour
Would be looking at $3200 for both lockers and another 1200 - 1300 for labour
Ended up being $4500 all up

4WD systems LOKKA = $600 delivered to my door (I do live in WA)

I think im personally going to go with a LOKKA now as it is WAY cheaper than the other two alternatives. If I find that im still battling for traction then I will look at a rear locker.

E lockers, I've been quoted $3700 for front and rear installed from opposite lock goes in week after easter can't wait

I think different horses for different courses!

All cars are going to handle and perform different, even the same model car can be set up completely different and therefor needs a different line of modifications.

Mine being a relatively new model, my rear diff works a treat! Even if it started to spin one, I would resort to having it shimmed back up because I know the rear is a relatively strong diff and will handle the constant load.

As for the front, thats my next concern for traction in my car. A couple times, have the front end of the car to help 'pull' me through would have been handy. Bang for buck I think the LOKKA is a great bit of gear. Its simplicity & its cost makes it a good choice. I think its simplicity is its only weakness. Personally I'd like to be able to engage and disengage my front diff. More so because of the sheer amount of city driving I still do. I've been with mates who have had a few dramas with their air lockers and I just haven't got the full confidence in them compared to the Harrop E locker.
thats just my 2 cents

This thread is something I've been watching with interest; I was about to start my own when this one started. Relating to the above, is that quite correct? Unless you driver around doing your city driving with your hubs locked, having a lokka in the front won't affect your driving will it? I don't know this to be true, I am only writing how I think it works and am happy to be corrected.

When I was researching lockers years for my old troopy, I read that lokkas were basically first generation Detroit technology, so reasonably old tech, and that was why they were noisy and harsh in operation e,g, changing steering lines through a curve on a high speed dirt road when it engages / disengages and that the new Detroit lockers had no such issues. I started looking again recently and it looks like Detroit don't make one for the Nav. Does anyone know for certain? Again, I'm not certain of their operation, but in 2H with the hubs locked and a lokka fitted, there would be potential for cornering to be affected wouldn't there? How much? From reading some of the posts above, is it only a problem if tromp it to apex the corner or back off hard to enter the corner? Don't get me wrong, I think I'm gonna get one anyway, I just want to know about them first.

As far as i know there would be no issue with that as the auto lockers work from power delivery and not the difference in wheel speed. without being in 4H or 4L there is no power being delivered to the front drive shaft so nothing to cause it to engage.

Another question how do you guys find auto lockers is soft sand and dunes i have always heard people say not to use lockers in sand for some reason. Do you just leave a single front hub unlocked or do they still go sweet on the sand? I presumed it was cause of the steering thing meaning your car would want to really badly under steer in the sand? which as we know can be hard enough to get your car too turn without the thought of having a locker up front.

I haven't done sand driving with my Lokka so I can't comment on that.

If you don't have 4wd engaged then the Lokka is not in operation. So no effects on city/bitumen driving.

Mine does not make any noise when "locking or unlocking".

Steering under throttle is still possible, I get the impression some people think you can only go straight under acceleration. It just tightens the steering wheel. With the Lokka, you will find that you will need less throttle than normal anyway.

My steering with the Lokka engaged is different than without. I'm not sure if its the same with all lockers. If I am turning and accelerating and let go of the steering wheel, the wheel return to centre almost immediately. It returns so fast that it can actually start to steer the opposite way. If you know you Nav you will know when it's back to centre and you can grab it again, that is if you let go of the wheel for some reason. A 3 year old would be able to hold the steering wheel and turn it with the Lokka engaged. Do you have muppet arms? Haha. (Not implied for anyone in particular)

Turning under hard acceleration with any locker is not a good idea generally, as additional force is put in the drive line and CVs start to snap. Simply make your steering adjustments while backing off the throttle and then stomp on the go pedal when your pointing in your desired direction.

Driving with the Lokka engaged is different than without a Lokka. It will take a little driving to get used to. But it's not a big deal.

Cost - $550. Plus postage. $20 to Perth.

Get on it!!

I didnt mean that the sterring wheel was hard to turn but the fact that your car understeers easy when the diff locks so you continue to go somewhat straight when trying to turn. So what i should have said is, is the vehicle hard to manouvre?

I was just generally speaking, not a direct reply to your post. Manoeuvring on dirt is really no different from what I have experienced. The turning circle might be larger, but I'm not 100% sure. I always try to avoid full lock when in 4wd.

Haven't been on sand, so I don't know about that. I think it would help steer/pull you around a corner on sand.

Steering in soft sand with a lokka is a bit of a PITA in a D40 as I cant unlock a hub and im guessing it would be alot better with a D22 as you can for sandy tracks. I live in Vic so doesnt concern me that much but did notice extreme understeer on Moreton Island a while back

I was quoted $574 and $20 delivery, must of put their prices up. When did u get your locker 4x4 ST-R????

hmmmm very good points guys, maybe an auto lokka may be the way to go? and for the price its pretty cheap. and then tighten the LSD.

cheers bryan

I was quoted $574 and $20 delivery, must of put their prices up. When did u get your locker 4x4 ST-R????

Just checked my receipt. Ordered on 11 Dec 12. Definitely only paid $570 total - incl postage.

I was extremely convinced to install a front LOKKA, in fact I had already contacted 4wd System in SA and negotiated a deal of $1000 installed by them (Weekend away with the missus and diff lock installed = both happy!).
But then I went back on my steps and re -think again at the Lokka concept: the side gears (and drive shafts) are always locked regardless if you are in 2wd or 4wd!
If for any given reason even one in a 10 Mil one the lokka fails in a way where it does not disengaged, well you go straight ahead that's not maybe! And for me with 40K km of city drive due to work with highways and school zones I'm not prepared for that 1:10Mil chance of risk.
But that's just me and my lifestyle, if I could reduce that risk I'd probably go for it, I do believe that for an off road use it is the best value for money option in the differential area.
I have to opt for a rear e-locker @ almost $2K installed.

Cheers Max

Not quite sure what you mean in regards to the going straight ahead thing..If your in 2wheel drive and the freewheeling hubs are not ingaged then the front diff is not turning so nothing in there can really break and send you straight ahead.

In the D40 it looks to me that the 4wd engages in the transfer case and there is not freewheeling hubs, therefore the front diff always work.
But as you said with the freewheeling hubs the drive shafts not turning therefore no risk.

Front Auto Lokka

I have had my front lokka fitted for some months now. It is in a D40 so there are no free wheeling hubs. The operation of a 'Lokka' is such that the diff is LOCKED all the time except when the wheels need to 'unlock' around a corner for instance. So if the diff were to 'fail' in the 'locked condition', then the vehicle would not drive in a straight line as previously mentioned. The vehicle would still be steerable albeit with slightly heavier steering.

I have had the vehicle on sand (Rainbow Beach) at Chrissy and it performs very well. A lot better than I expected and it didn't hinder the vehicle in any way compared to a standard vehicle in fact on the contrary. The performance was quite good. My previous vehices have been a short wheelbase Landcruiser, a Range Rover with a 6.2 Chevy Diesel, a Discovery, a GU Nissan Patrol and I used to live in Brisbane frequenting Frazer and Rainbow at least 5 or 6 times a year so I can comment with some conviction.

A Lokka in the front is the way to go as it limits the wheel spin and therefore reduces the chance of breaking a CV compared to an open diff. And, since the front wheel travel is limited (easily lifting a wheel compared to the rear) then 'that' is where you want the Lokka to be fitted to improve traction. I have a late 2010 model which comes with some crappy electronic traction control and an open rear diff (no limited slip for me), but with the front Lokka, I am more than happy with the vehicles capability. That's not to say that I wouldn't be happier with a selectable rear diff lock aswell, but that will have to wait until funds are available which is not going to be for some time thanks to the ex and the child support agency. But that's another story.

Go the auto in the front and you won't look back. (That's rather profound).

Foxy

"The vehicle would still be steerable albeit with slightly heavier steering" It could well be but I've never drove a vehicle with the front axle locked so I just have to go by what I heard. Again ME I'm not prepared to take that risk.

"A Lokka in the front is the way to go as it limits the wheel spin and therefore reduces the chance of breaking a CV compared to an open diff. And, since the front wheel travel is limited (easily lifting a wheel compared to the rear) then 'that' is where you want the Lokka to be fitted to improve traction" Not having a central diff you can obtain the same result with a rear diff lock as to create front wheel spin with a rear locker engaged you need to have 3 wheels off the ground (pretty good effort, LOL).

Thanks for your thoughts Foxy

Front Lokka

Sorry Max, I had my brain on the circumstance of trying to gain traction with a rear wheel slipping on loose stuff and a front wheel in the air. Point taken.
Foxy

I was extremely convinced to install a front LOKKA, in fact I had already contacted 4wd System in SA and negotiated a deal of $1000 installed by them (Weekend away with the missus and diff lock installed = both happy!).
But then I went back on my steps and re -think again at the Lokka concept: the side gears (and drive shafts) are always locked regardless if you are in 2wd or 4wd!
If for any given reason even one in a 10 Mil one the lokka fails in a way where it does not disengaged, well you go straight ahead that's not maybe! And for me with 40K km of city drive due to work with highways and school zones I'm not prepared for that 1:10Mil chance of risk.
But that's just me and my lifestyle, if I could reduce that risk I'd probably go for it, I do believe that for an off road use it is the best value for money option in the differential area.
I have to opt for a rear e-locker @ almost $2K installed.

Cheers Max

Mate, why do you drive then? There is a higher chance of being in a car crash. Or your prop shaft falling down, digging into the ground and tearing out your rear end or flipping your Nav. You've got more chance of getting a blow out on a steer tyre, which will give you worse steering than an engaged diff Lokka.

Latest posts

Back