diff locks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which locker

• rear air

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • front air

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • front auto locker

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • both front and rear air

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

04SilverSTR

Reaction score
soo i may also be in the market for a locker and while im in the mood for polls, what are your experiences with lockers and why you went that way.

im thinking just rear air at the moment. not too keen on putting the cv's under that much stress in the front.

cheers bryan

It all comes down to $$. If $$ is no issue then F&R Airlockers... If u want the best for the least $$ spent, then a FRONT Autolocker. Mid-range.... then Front Air Locker.

I have F&R Auto Lockers in my zook and while it goes most places, the Rear Autolocker is a PITA on the bitumen in tight places, etc.

If u can only afford one Locker (Auto or Air), then put it in the Front.....

What Rob said. In reality you won't be putting the cv's under any more stress than they already are, if anything a front locker of any type or brand will keep the wheel that is in the air turning at the same rate as your forward momentum so hopefully when it lands the cv doesn't go bang (been there done that). I went with the auto in the front and love it !!!

Cheers Brad

Im gonna be a bit different and say I'm saving up for front and rear e lockers. Comes down to personal choice, I have nothing against air lockers, this is just he way i wanna go.

Im gonna be a bit different and say I'm saving up for front and rear e lockers. Comes down to personal choice, I have nothing against air lockers, this is just he way i wanna go.

Mate I out E lockers in the jeep I had and all I can say is they are amazing ! Preferred them over the ARB lockers that's for sure.

when i get the chance i'l grab an auto for the front, but if i had the "dosh" i would get an eaton e-locker.

nissan diffs are easy to shim up, if the rear is loose - get it tightened with some shim kit, put a locker of some sort in the front. I'd lean towards the LOKKA for ease and price or the harrop E locker

Hmmmm

I've always thought a rear locker, I wouldn't want an auto front.

Rear locker because when you are climbing hills, most of the weight load is on the rear axle with less on the front axles. Lets face it, generally people want lockers for climbing of some sort.

Auto locker in the front would be a pita when trying to turn around or tight turns engaging when you don't want it. Air or e locker if the front or nothing.

I've not got a lot of experience driving utes with lockers so I'm sure ill get rubbished, but most of the above is high school physics.

I may be wrong about the auto locker and am happy to be corrected.

I don't have any experience in my own car about lockers, however a friend of mine has an auto locker in the front of his paj and rear LSD he reckons its a great combo for touring hard core and on road performance how ever he did tell me that when 4wding in areas were the terrain is constantly changing his auto locker is pain as it can make the steering really tuff when turning on up hill sections with even lightish throttle (what are other people's like?) so he has said if he was to do it again he would go air or e locker.

So i'm wanting to go air locker in mine however i don't like the arb price so im going to source them from china but i need to order 10 sets from the supplier ive used for other things. They are 650 a set if i get ten (set includes locker, compressor, solenoids, air line and wiring kit) the minimum order for them is 10 if anyone is interested. I have also put this kit into another thread but have had no interest expressed from that one.

also the rear LSD in mine is great i wouldn't bother upgrading that before the front as most of the situations i would want one for is for when ive lifted a front and lost traction too the other one and subsequently lost momentum then traction to both rears. Which the front locker would correct as both front wheels would then have drive no matter what.

Ill ring opposite lock tomoz and get a price on front and rear e lockers. Info on previous threads has the front at 1900 and the rear at 1600. $3500 is a lot of money to spend

Another option would be to go e locker in the rear and auto locker in the front. This option is much cheaper at $2200

Hmmmm

I've always thought a rear locker, I wouldn't want an auto front.

Rear locker because when you are climbing hills, most of the weight load is on the rear axle with less on the front axles. Lets face it, generally people want lockers for climbing of some sort.

With Navs, and unlike most wagon styled 4wds, we get a lot of rear end lifting tyres. Our CoG must be pretty far forward.

Auto Lokka in the front, speaking from experience - awesome. Steering sometimes get a little heavy on a tight turn with hard acceleration, but it's not too bad unless you have muppet arms, plus you learn to change your driving style. Turn the wheel before smashing the go pedal.

With Navs, and unlike most wagon styled 4wds, we get a lot of rear end lifting tyres. Our CoG must be pretty far forward.

Auto Lokka in the front, speaking from experience - awesome. Steering sometimes get a little heavy on a tight turn with hard acceleration, but it's not too bad unless you have muppet arms, plus you learn to change your driving style. Turn the wheel before smashing the go pedal.

I second your opinion, the front lokka does wonders because instead of trying to "push" the nav from the light end of the truck where traction is fairly easy to break, your "pulling" the truck across obstacle where traction is greatest.

Rear because u can leave it in even when not desperate. I have a rear arb in mine. Makes it unreal. Doesn't affect steering like front

Also the front end of our navs have very limited suspension travel, so its the first place you lose traction on the rough stuff.
i had a lokka in the front of my old luxy you could not stop it..Also you are going to get the steering issues with any locker, its just with air or electric you can unlock them when YOU want.

Rear because u can leave it in even when not desperate. I have a rear arb in mine. Makes it unreal. Doesn't affect steering like front

Front! Our LSDs are great. Shim it up if its slipping too much. And as said above, you will have steering issues with any locker.

I think different horses for different courses!

All cars are going to handle and perform different, even the same model car can be set up completely different and therefor needs a different line of modifications.

Mine being a relatively new model, my rear diff works a treat! Even if it started to spin one, I would resort to having it shimmed back up because I know the rear is a relatively strong diff and will handle the constant load.

As for the front, thats my next concern for traction in my car. A couple times, have the front end of the car to help 'pull' me through would have been handy. Bang for buck I think the LOKKA is a great bit of gear. Its simplicity & its cost makes it a good choice. I think its simplicity is its only weakness. Personally I'd like to be able to engage and disengage my front diff. More so because of the sheer amount of city driving I still do. I've been with mates who have had a few dramas with their air lockers and I just haven't got the full confidence in them compared to the Harrop E locker.

thats just my 2 cents

Did some homework today and got some interesting results

ARB Air Lockers front and rear installed with high output compressor $4000

E Lockers from Opposite lock; rear $1600 ($2200 installed), front they do not offer yet, im told its a month or so away, $1600 for the locker then another $600 - 700 for labour
Would be looking at $3200 for both lockers and another 1200 - 1300 for labour
Ended up being $4500 all up

4WD systems LOKKA = $600 delivered to my door (I do live in WA)

I think im personally going to go with a LOKKA now as it is WAY cheaper than the other two alternatives. If I find that im still battling for traction then I will look at a rear locker.

Latest posts

Back