d40 faults

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsvnavara

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I would like to ask anyone who has a D40 if they have ever had a fault with the engine lacking power and revs. My wife was driving our 07 D40 on a beach last week when she just bogged down and was not moving. I went to help thinking she had just dug into the sand, but when i got in the drivers seat i was flat out getting 2000 rpm with my foot to the floor. I turned off the car, re-started and it was all ok. I also have another fault when starting in the morning all the needles on the gauge cluster run backwards for about 5 seconds. If i could be pointed to any threads that would help would be great. I have a 2007 D40 st-x 6 speed manual.

Aaron
Townsviile, QLD

Don't panic, mine came factory fitted with those quirks too.

It probably went into limp from an over boost, fairly common especially in a manual. Just turn off and restarting the engine clears the mode. If it persistently happens then a trip to Nissan is required for diagnosis.
The gauges do seem possessed at times, no idea why but never seems to cause any problems.

Hope that helps ease your mind.

I've only had the limp mode once (after i stalled the car and restarted). A quick phone call to my dealer told me to pull over and turn off the car, wait 10 seconds and restart it. The problem has not occured since. umm, yes i still stall the car occasionally, but it doesnt go into limp mode.

Just remember the car does have an on-board computer - it does get corruupted on the odd occasion. A simple re-boot (turn off and on) usually fix's it.

The needles flickering could mean a dodgy connection somewhere between battery and ignition circuit.
Check battery first. I used to get this occasionally on a previous car due to bad connection on neg terminal.

Murph

Haha I was waiting for you to pipe up in this thread. After our phone call yesterday

Haha yeah well its a hypocondriac.
so when are we gonna go out and try some serious "on roading"

Or would someone like to wrap my winch around the truck without my knowledge??

Hi I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago in Darwin I started the car drove out of the caravan park once passed the main gates I tried to accelerate nothing I crawled at about 5kph got to top of hill turned of motor waited about 30secs restarted motor sprang to life I then booked it in to local Nissan dealer I was told It may be a fuel pump problem which I doubt I have since towed my van to Broome car has not missed a beat, I have the a 2008 STX auto.

Cajun

Thanks for the replys guys. I have found out that it was an over pressure in the fuel rail.
and the gauges were fix by a new battery

glad your fix was as easy as that mate.
thinkin its gonna take a toyota to fix my issues.
Driving my rig is like working with politicians. Painful and agrovating.

Hey guys, only had my d40 6 months now, it's been a good 5 months, and now the problems have started. Bout 5-6 days ago, the abs light came on, then the day after that the car started having power surges and rev fluctuation down low. It does it nearly every time it gets started for the first 5 mins or 200-500m etc, then it drives normally. Then went to engage 4wd this morning and it won't engage 4H or 4L.

As of last the night the best fault started, the speedo is now reading all over the shop. I'm Doing roughly 60, speedo says 20 or 30. Last night I was doing 100 and the speedo went from 100 to 40 to 70 to 90 and back to 100. I never changed speed, this is the best fault since it could cause me a fine, and I have to drive everywhere a little slower then everyone else so I know im under the limit. It just goes and comes, the faults that is. Except the abs light which has now become permanent.

Rang and booked it in at Mackay Nissan, who said the earliest date was the 12th next month, 3 weeks away at the time. After the speedo drama started last night, I rang Again this morning and asked/pleaded to see if it could be done earlier. Their response was to put the service manger on, so she could say, essentially, tough shit it's the twelfth or nothing. If you feel its dangerous to drive it with the speedo how it is, don't drive it. Now I need this car, it's my sole transportation between home and work. And to top it all off, I'm supposed to be leaving for cape York on the first week of august!! A trip that's been 6 months in the planning.

Not a happy camper at the moment, definetly won't be buying another Nissan unless it's a 4.2 patrol. Which is what I had before the navara, and wish I still had.

- Coza

Yeh I will be. Next nearest Nissan dealer is Rockhampton, a 3.5hr drive south. Or Townsville 4hrs north. I might just have to bite my tongue and wait.

- Coz

Yeh I will be. Next nearest Nissan dealer is Rockhampton, a 3.5hr drive south. Or Townsville 4hrs north. I might just have to bite my tongue and wait.

- Coz

Can normally get into rocky about a week from asking, but actually dealing with the mob here, well it's up to you. I have had good experiences with a few, but bad with many more at the dealer here. My brand new Navara came out of it's 1000km "service" with greasy/oily handprints both inside and out from the service department. Plus they never seem too keen on being of much assistance. However there is a new service manager there and he seems like a good bloke.

Mitch

The reason you can't use 4wd is because of the ABS fault. For some reason Nissan thought it was a good idea to link the two together so if you rip a ABS line off one of the wheels while offroading you loose 4wd. Very clever NOT!!!!!!!!. (This could also explain your speedo reading problem as the computer relies on input signals from the ABS as well.)

Your power surges and rev fluctuation could be either boost solenoid or fuel suction control valve.

My ABS went off from water you could try blowing out the plugs and checking the sensors for water.

Latest posts

Back