D40 black smoke issue YouTube video

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Just for the owners of D40s from 2012 or more recent: the EGR valves MIGHT have a flow sensor, and if they do, WILL chuck a wobbly if you just blank the tube off. Otherwise, good info.

Last edited:
NOT AT ALL to call you out on it Mate..
everybody knows or has at least heard that these Navaras have soo many variables between model and years - even just major differences between models of the same year
Just my two cents

Last edited:
Thanks for the video.

I've eased my black smoke, by:
1. injector cleaner ... even though this didn't seem to make much difference
2. driving it differently ... going easier on the 1st to 2nd gear change, and 2nd to 3rd. Stopped "planting my foot" after being used to driving a Suby wagon.

However, I have noticed, if it does puff some smoke now, it's more grey/white than black. I'm almost too scared to search "white smoke" in case it's a big issue.

they don't have an egr flow sensor. i'm not aware of ANY diesel that does.
they use the MAP sensor and read the drop in air flow when the egr valve opens. of course flexible piping, leaking pipes, leaking intercoolers all screw with that a bit. also that because exhaust gas pressure (not measured) is a factor in egr flow, the ecu cannot actually calculate the actual egr flow. it can really only tell the difference between small amount or large amount. hence why the small hole in the egr blocking plate works.

we don't see many diesels with black smoke here due to legal requirements, something they brought in years ago which forced fuel co's to provide better fuel.
the main reason for black smoke is simply low quality fuel.
the YD25 was really made for the euro market (euro market kinda limits diesels to 2.5l) and no doubt is designed around using high quality euro fuel, not cheap aussie outback crud. thats why you guys have more smoky diesels, especially navaras.

they don't have an egr flow sensor. i'm not aware of ANY diesel that does.
they use the MAP sensor and read the drop in air flow when the egr valve opens. of course flexible piping, leaking pipes, leaking intercoolers all screw with that a bit. also that because exhaust gas pressure (not measured) is a factor in egr flow, the ecu cannot actually calculate the actual egr flow. it can really only tell the difference between small amount or large amount. hence why the small hole in the egr blocking plate works.

we don't see many diesels with black smoke here due to legal requirements, something they brought in years ago which forced fuel co's to provide better fuel.
the main reason for black smoke is simply low quality fuel.
the YD25 was really made for the euro market (euro market kinda limits diesels to 2.5l) and no doubt is designed around using high quality euro fuel, not cheap aussie outback crud. thats why you guys have more smoky diesels, especially navaras.
Interesting comment re the use of better fuel. In my previous post, I forgot to mention, we just had a new Mobil Servo open in town, a big multinational to wipe out the few remaining independants left here.
But, I was always going to United, as they were local Indians, real nice guys. But I've since swapped to Mobil out of interest as i'd seen other posts about quality of diesel in Oz. And yes, perhaps that's also been a contributing factor to my less black smoke issue.

Back