d22 torsion bars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhodgkin

Reaction score
hi all, just purchased the toughdog 40mm lift, fitted rear springs and shocks today, and they have lifted the wheel arch by 100mm ish, old nissan stuff must have been f$%^&%. going to put the shocks and brake lines in the front tommorow, just wondering if it is just as simple as winding the torsion bars up? or should i pull them out and rotate them slightly, I read somewhere else on here that you should rotate them x number of flats on the spline.... just wondering what everyone else has done. cheers!

I replaced mine at the same time, however whether you need to re-index them will depend on how much adjustment is left currently. If you run out of thread before they are where you want then you will need to re-index them to make the vehicle higher.

but all now that you have done is move the problem.

how have i moved the problem? the bump stops stay the same weather i replace the bars or not? i was under the impression that i would only need new heavy duty bars if i was to add weight to the front of the vehicle... eg.. steel bullbar/whinch ect..

how have i moved the problem? the bump stops stay the same weather i replace the bars or not? i was under the impression that i would only need new heavy duty bars if i was to add weight to the front of the vehicle... eg.. steel bullbar/whinch ect..

Well you said it yourself....now that you've wound them up so much...yes there is clearance on the lower but as you said the top is now on the bump stop

IFS needs to be centered between the arms. Winding up the bars to give lift is dangerous because in the same way that the wheel needs upward travel over undulations and bumps so it needs down travel for dips and hollows.
HD torsion bars are to allow for greater load with a higher spring rate to compensate.
Winding up bars is for fools. Basic engineering.

Aido said:
IFS needs to be centered between the arms. Winding up the bars to give lift is dangerous because in the same way that the wheel needs upward travel over undulations and bumps so it needs down travel for dips and hollows.
HD torsion bars are to allow for greater load with a higher spring rate to compensate.
Winding up bars is for fools. Basic engineering.

but buy putting in heavy duty bars you get the same outcome. Your bumpstop clearence will still be the same as when stock bars are wound up.

Well you said it yourself....now that you've wound them up so much...yes there is clearance on the lower but as you said the top is now on the bump stop

sorry you may have misunderstood my post, there is still clearance on the stops, but there is less on the bottom(downtravel) than there is on the top. but the instructions with my kit says when installing the new shocks to set the torsion bars with around 5mm more clearance on the top stop than the bottom... which i have done...

i have only wound them up approx 5-6mm of thread, but i set the drivers side about 5mm higher than the passenger side to accomodate the umm "heavier" driver. lol

i have only wound them up approx 5-6mm of thread, but i set the drivers side about 5mm higher than the passenger side to accomodate the umm "heavier" driver. lol

ok then....now what you MUST do is get a wheel alignment or the work you've done is a wasted effort..

but buy putting in heavy duty bars you get the same outcome. Your bumpstop clearence will still be the same as when stock bars are wound up.

Errr wrong.
The torsion bar is a spring. Increasing the spring rate does not increase ride height if they are installed correctly. You cannot raise the ride height of an IFS vehicle without conpromising handling or steering geometry. If you want to raise an IFS vehicle you need to replace the control arms.

Errr wrong.
The torsion bar is a spring. Increasing the spring rate does not increase ride height if they are installed correctly. You cannot raise the ride height of an IFS vehicle without conpromising handling or steering geometry. If you want to raise an IFS vehicle you need to replace the control arms.

true, but you can raise a sagging front end, back to the factory ride height settings,
but otherwise you cant raise a stock frontend 2 inches

Aido said:
Errr wrong.

yeah i understand that. but didnt they say they lifted it above.stock height? hence the same outcome

You need to get an alignment Now! And I'm not going to enter to torsion bar debate.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Forum Runner

Errr wrong.
The torsion bar is a spring. Increasing the spring rate does not increase ride height. If you want to raise an IFS vehicle you need to replace the control arms.

hmm
i easily acheived 30mm front lift with an efs kit,shocks and t/bars

golly gosh there is some attitude on thes subject ill remember to not ask for any advice when i do mine to many experts to get a striaght answer wind em up i recon if it makes ya happy

golly gosh there is some attitude on thes subject ill remember to not ask for any advice when i do mine to many experts to get a striaght answer

:confused3:
but thats exactly what this forum is for
none of us claim to be experts
we all have our own opinion based on what we have experienced or learned
read and learn from the vast amount of knowledge and opinions
have a good laugh along the way
then go away and form your own opinion on what suits your needs
or
find another forum that suits your needs

Back