Ceramic Beads Balance Weights.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll

Just thought if start a thread On these ceramic beads iv found instead of the old Lead weights, went down 4bying for a weekend trip and found that at 108k my b-bar started shake like hit house and figured the wheels were out of balance, when I pulled over found I had no lead weighs on my rims, (chances are they came of when I was off road last). So I went on a mission to find something better or at least more stable then external lead weights and came across these ceramic balls (bearings that is).

The website state that the "Beads automatically reposition themselves according to the new force created by heavy spots due to uneven wear and mud build-up on tyres and rims. This self-adjusting feature ensures that the tyres are constantly balanced. The beads remain in their appropriate locations until the vehicle comes to rest".

So iv ordered 2x 6oz bags which cost around $11 per wheel. The chart on the website states 6oz per wheel but I think that's too much for a 32" so going to add 4oz per wheel and see what happens.
Iv had the bags on the kitchen take for 2 weeks now so they are doing a great job ;). I'll throw them in on Thursday and see what the end result is and keep you guys up to date, result may take a big longer as I don't hit 100+k's very often as I'm still living in the city.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, but do these go inside the tyre? Without something to restrain them they would just fly about inside like a lotto machine wouldnt they...?

We use to use them in the steer tyres on the trucks. Work like a charm. You get them in little bags about 100 to 200g. Put the tyre on the rim then chuck the beads bag and all inside, inflate and put it on the truck and send it!

You can also get balancing discs which go between the brake drum and the rim(heaps of trucks still have drum brakes all round). Inside these discs are little ball bearing sort of things and they work on the same principle.

So yeah ill second that these beads work well.

Please excuse my ignorance, but do these go inside the tyre? Without something to restrain them they would just fly about inside like a lotto machine wouldnt they...?

There is two ways of putting them in, first: when your putting rubber on you can just throw the whole bad in and once your moving the bag will open up releasing all the beads, second: if your rubber is already on you can funnel them in through via the valve after removing the valve needle, then just re -inflate.
When your wheel spins the beads are sent to the outter part if the rubber where it need balancing. Just remember to notify your tyre guy before getting new shoes.

And once installed you remove the wheel weights??
I have some serious metal on my muddies haha

And once installed you remove the wheel weights??
I have some serious metal on my muddies haha

I would imagine either way would be fine, even if they current weights came off over time the beads would automatically move to the most needed area as a counter weight.

I am not convinced, feel free to persuade me
The problems I see are
1 the beads moving around must damage the inner tyre, over time what damage is done?
2 if they are so good why aren't they more widely used

so you leave the tracks with a huge clump of mud on 1 tyre, the beads are forced to that area how?
and once they are there, the mud falls off how can the beads move to another area while being subjected to massive centrifugal forces

Not trying to put you off steve, just my thoughts, very interested in your assesment when you have had them for a while

cheers

Last edited:
Sorry Sparra my mind says it will work but putting mind to mouth is harder as I'm a little rusty with my Aerodynamics and brain function after the weekend.
I would guess and say that the centrifugal forces pushes the beads to the outer most part of the rotational area, as there are hundreds or more beads if that area changes the centrifugal force will push the beads to that new area and probably to multiple areas if required. Obviously there are limits to what it can counter balance so if there is a big bit of mud I would say get out and clean it off. Preferably once you are out of said mud. Though I can't see the beads moving once your in motion over 40+k's so if the mud came off I guess you slow down and start off again. Maybe a combination of weights and beads is the way to go.
As for wear I can't be sure, my guess would be it should be fine, I can't see it being worse then driving on tar with 2 or more tone of weight, besides once your up to speed (I think it's 40k and up) the beads stop moving and remain stationary till you stop.
Ill give them a go and will up date as I wear the shoes out, they are already half done but am interested to see the effects it has.

Sparra, being ceramic the frictional forces would be tiny, so damage to the inside of the tyre would be very minor. See here on ceramic ball bearings http://ceramicspeed.com/industry/en/technology/why-hybrid-bearings/low-coefficient-of-friction/

The coefficient of frictions compared to steel ball bearings is about 25% of the value, ie. very smooth haha.

Your tyres cop a tonne of abuse and if they can stand up to that have some smooth little balls roll around the inside should be fine

No worries steve
I just finished reading there website and while I now understand the theory better I can see how they work
Still a bit worried about having ceramic balls almost as strong as diamonds rolling around the inside, there has to be wear, you can't avoid it completly
I find it amusing that the company hasn't opened a tyre that has had beads in it for 50000ks and shown us the effects, but I am sceptical by nature and they are prob fine

Cheers

Provided I actually remember il have a look inside mine when I take them off and take a pic. If I can remember that is.

Sparra, being ceramic the frictional forces would be tiny, so damage to the inside of the tyre would be very minor. See here on ceramic ball bearings http://ceramicspeed.com/industry/en/technology/why-hybrid-bearings/low-coefficient-of-friction/

The coefficient of frictions compared to steel ball bearings is about 25% of the value, ie. very smooth haha.

Your tyres cop a tonne of abuse and if they can stand up to that have some smooth little balls roll around the inside should be fine

yep got that
BUT
the inside of your tyre is NOT smooth
are these little balls bouncing around making the inside smooth and over time the beads will make it smooth, where does the "scrap" go?
and the inside is not designed to wear, that worries me
my head hurts now....

Last edited:
yep got that

BUT

the inside of your tyre is NOT smooth

are these little balls bouncing around making the inside smooth and over time the beads will make it smooth, where does the "scrap" go?

and the inside is not designed to wear, that worries me

my head hurts now....

Is your head going round and round and round??

Back