Calling all Chainsaw Experts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Dolmar its a two stroke made in west Germany. Its a bit heavy but I think its bullet proof. Iv had it for a few years now and hasn't mist a beat

iv'e had nearly a dozen stihl's and the 38 magnums were the worst, I have 88's and 66's now wich are a good saw but to big for camping obviously, I take a little 019 camping but will get an electric one later on so I don't have worry taking about fuel on trips. iv'e been working the bush for 15 years and all the brands have there issues.

If there aren't any husky's left, I'll throw another in the bag for you to think about. I snagged a Hitachi in the size you're after, Hitachi bought out Tanaka. A great little saw!

Thanks guys. I'm calling into the Husky shop on Monday, hopefully there's stock.

Go the Husky. I have a 450e and it is a bloody ripper. Hooks into everything and just smashes it.

For the record, McCulloch stuff is made by Husky. So if you are after a cheaper alternative they could be worth a look.

Shindaiwa is a tuff saw, made in japan. I have a 352 and its a great all round saw. Alot of contractors are using these now days.

Id rate shindawa...i have a hedgetrimmer and its been going strong for close to 8 years..always starts and runs like a dream even after the old man ran 2/3 tank straight unleaded thru it...if it can survive that (with no side effects..mind you ive not going to look at the barrel and piston) they will cope with anything

I have a shindawa 305. same as a echo. friend of mine has an echo saw can't remember the modal but its bigger than mine and they both are great saws. my friend got his sent over from the states for the same price as i got my smaller saw locally.

I've got a 30 year old farm boss that is finally beyond repair and was looking too replace it with another shortly.. amazed to hear all the husky recommendations !

Gee, I'm surprised, the Sthil is getting bad press, I always thought they were good.

ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with them.......I have 3...an 016, 039 and an 066.....not a prob with any, go hard all day long, and my 066 Magnum i bought as an ex tree fallers tool, 1 season old.....its the best.

For the record, McCulloch stuff is made by Husky. So if you are after a cheaper alternative they could be worth a look.

Local dealer, Raymond Terrace (Stihl & Husky) also carries the new McCullochs, lot of commonality with Huskys.
I run a McCulloch PM610 bought in 1978 (50 cc), can't kill it! I've even found a supplier for parts, use it on hardwood.
Bought the Mac CS430T as a back-up - nice saw!

When i started my apprenticeship in small engines in the early 90's Husky was manufacturing the identical saw with the name Jonsered.Difference was it was red and the husky orange a big saw around 70cc was $300 cheaper when sold as a Jonsered,not sure if it's still the case.

We bought the stihl . could be the same model cost the same. not too happy with it , took it back and told the agent the clutch plate is slipping . This model doesn't have a clutch kit. so can't be adjusted , you have to take it very easy when cutting. The last stihl we had (farm boss) was awesome and had the clutch changed it that once in 16 years.

Hi Larry, I'm guessing you bought an MS170? It is what it is & is that is a base model occasional use saw. It's the baby of the family so to speak.

The dealer is waffling faeces mate, Chainsaws do not have clutch plates. They have dog clutches & Stihl supply all parts for all models. If he chain is running on, the carb needs a tune.

Got my order in for one of the baby Huskys that are on sale at the moment, pick it up on Monday.

Then I can carry on like this ...

the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-470-75.jpg

Thans Happy John, you reminded me of what I've had for over 15 years, Jonsered. It actually started life as a bushcare like group tool with free maintenance at the council dept, which I don't thnk helped. It was only dropping small green stuff but still chewed through three chains and the brake mechanism. It ended up coming my way when they folded, so I had the brake fixed and since them it has done far harder work(heavy real railway sleeper) and gum firewood and is still on the same chain. Note work as n one/two weekend a month, not working week.

I've always found the frequent touch ups(one stroke per tooth) is the best sharpening routine and less chance of over sharpening and doing curved cuts. YMWV if you drrop th chain in the dirt. Also. I have a set of trojan jaws and as something to lift the work out of the dirt, they are great with the log jaws. Hint cut firewood alternately from either end.

Yep there is an art to sharpening Terry most gusset the cutter and don't know how to set a depth gauge on the raker.Glad your old Jonsered is still going.
Another tip is a smear of grease where the air cleaner element seals to the carby most leak and the fine sawdust can ruin the bore very quick,most of the cheepies have a soft alloy bore and one ring piston the better known models have a hardened chrome bore and two ring piston,they can tolerate much more abuse before faliure.
John

Latest posts

Back