Calling all Chainsaw Experts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a Stihl MS390 with a 22" bar for about 13 years and have never adjusted anything. Apart from the first, it has never been serviced and have never taken the spark plug out.

It's primarily used for firewood. It's been through numerous chains, several sprockets, bar and the most annoying thing are the nylon starter pawls that I have replaced a number of times. I keep spares as they seem to get munched up in summer when the weather is hot and I have been using the saw for hours.

Occasionally it almost seems to have compression lock up when starting and I nearly rip my shoulder out of the socket when pulling the cord.

It might sound like I don't like it but that is not the case at all. Given the abuse and neglect that it receives, it still hasn't let me down. Even the pawls give a bit of warning.

It gets sharpened when I have to. Using a file, the teeth on one side eventually get smaller than the other and I end up using my electric chain sharpener. I found that the best investment ever! Unlike taking it to a shop to get sharpened where half the chain ends up as grindings on their workshop floor, I take off the minimum to get all teeth even.

Oh and even give the rakers a bit of a tickle with the electric chain sharpener!!

There should be a disclaimer at the start of this post too. **Don't do what I do.

Last edited:
I've tried cutting it with a brand new bow saw and it's like trying to cut through steel.

Depends on the bowsaw. AFAIK, all the bowsaws that you can buy now are made OS and come fitted with OS blades and are basically shite on real Aussie timber.

I purchase my first bow saw about 40 years ago and used it for about thirty years until it was just so blunt and just not allowing me to put any set bak on the aussie made blades. Any blade I've purchased since has been pure crap compared to the old ones. some would struggle on bannana stalks from the look of them. So good liuck. I have a collection of 20+ blades acculmulated in searching for one good for aussie timber with a good life.

Another tup is to spring(release) your bow saw when not in use. I made the mistake of not doing that from the start and now the pins have closed up a bit, so I have to use the inner holes on the blade for a start and still do not achieve good tension. I'm thinking of building one of those pioneer types of bow saw.

My bow saw works well enough on conifers or palm trees (and I've downed a few of those), but that light-grey tree with the red central wood is amazingly tough. Brand new (light) axe makes a line on it and bounces away.

Both problems solved, anyway - I've bought myself a 2Kg Cyclone axe now, and am using a Ryobi reciprocating saw with a 30cm demolition blade to get through the smaller stuff (or for de-limbing the upper reaches of trees that I've climbed into).

This thread has gone a long way i have 25yrs on small engines and worked on heaps of saws an old workmate has a very large shop on Brisbane southside,feel free to pm me with any issues.If in the market for a new one i can pass you on to him for a damm good price on anything you need.
John

Bar oil! I need more bar oil. Can I use any old bar oil or do I need to get only the Husky bar oil.

Are bar oils just bar oils?

Just RTFM. It says I can use any chain oil if theres isn't available. The Husky uses an automatic oiling system.

Any chain and bar oil will do the job it is just a more tacky viscosity than a standard oil to resist throw off.Buy in bulk 4ltr bottles it's much cheaper.

Have fun, Siringo. Had (minor) procedure on my left eye today, the doc tells me I'm not to do anything that might promote any dust getting in the eye (even past the eye patch I'm wearing). "Can I cut some firewood with a chainsaw" .. "you want to lose the eye, or get another blanket?"

I'm fishing around in the cupboard for blankets and I get the weekend off!

Thanks HJ, I've tracked down 4L at the local tool place.

Hope your eye's OK Tony, it's nothing to do with the Blues win in State of Origin is it?? ;-)

Well, after carrying a stihl 261 & its big brother, plus spares & fuel and a day pack, on my shoulders for 20km over two days I can confidently say that I wish they weren't so bloody heavy :-(

Eye's ok, small puncture wound, it'll be healed in about 24 hours' time and the pads can come off, but I still have to stay away from dust and flying crap for about a week.

I was looking forward to grabbing a .050 chain for my saw and getting some more wood, but having had this eye problem for a while (started about a week before Easter) I'm far happier having the eye fixed than playing with a saw.

Eye's ok, small puncture wound, it'll be healed in about 24 hours' time and the pads can come off, but I still have to stay away from dust and flying crap for about a week.

I was looking forward to grabbing a .050 chain for my saw and getting some more wood, but having had this eye problem for a while (started about a week before Easter) I'm far happier having the eye fixed than playing with a saw.

That's good news mate, you gotta look after yourself first.

Reminds me of the Simpson's sketch when Lenny has something wrong with his eye. He somehow gets into a food fight or something & gets cake thrown in face.
He screams at the top of his voice "Oh no, my doctor said not to get cake in my eye" or something similar, very funny.

here's a picture of that Iranian President, Mr. something something In a Dinner Jacket ...

Ahmadinejad_cake_face.jpg

Back