Bush mechanics and gnarly trails

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day

It was the weekend before Christmas at about 10:30pm I lost the alternator adjusting clamp and screw. 30km out of Winton (QLD) with 1600KM to drive to get to a family Christmas gathering. I drove into Winton and parked under a street light. I Made a lever by joining 2 x 1/2" socket extension bars together then forced tension onto the fan belt. Placed a 9/16 ring spanner between the alternator and block. Fixed.

That was about 11 years ago, so its probably time I get my spanner out and put in the correct tensioner.

G'day

It was the weekend before Christmas at about 10:30pm I lost the alternator adjusting clamp and screw. 30km out of Winton (QLD) with 1600KM to drive to get to a family Christmas gathering. I drove into Winton and parked under a street light. I Made a lever by joining 2 x 1/2" socket extension bars together then forced tension onto the fan belt. Placed a 9/16 ring spanner between the alternator and block. Fixed.

That was about 11 years ago, so its probably time I get my spanner out and put in the correct tensioner.

thats what were talking about, nice work HUG

I used to drive a 25 year old 4x2 lux.
One night I dropped a fan belt about 30km out of town. The important belt that drives the water pump and alternator, is behind the pwr steering belt, and the air con belt.
No tools to speak of and a cigarette lighter to see by, I used a roll of electrical tape to make a belt.
My makeshift fan belt spun the water pump but not the alternator under load. It got me home, the last 10km was by moonlight.

Few years back, long weekend away kicking back at a mates cabin at Enoch's Point in Big River state forest had a few 75 series Cruiser utes, GU coil cab and 2 Gq shortys one gas supercharged the other petrol turbo both with ridiculous lifts.
Mate Joel in the petrol turbo shorty drove up a short but steep as f### embankment just cause he could.

Bent both stock rear control arms, one so savage it kinked and then snapped when he drove back around.

Nothing metal we thought strong enough to limp home. All we had on hand that were any help was a hacksaw, several rolls of duct tape a pair of pliers and a roll of tie wire.

We jacked it up there and then found a branch we thought thick enough cut it down and shorter with the hacksaw, help the control arm ends together and duct taped and tie wired the crap out of it till the branch wouldn't budge. He crawled on the roads through the forest to come out near Jamieson and did 60 all the way back to home in Kangaroo Ground slowing for bumps and bends.

The offending vehicle
ForumRunner_20141012_223015.jpg

ForumRunner_20141012_223024.jpg

ForumRunner_20141012_223033.jpg

ForumRunner_20141012_223044.jpg

These pics don't do the steepness full justice believe it or not, angle for the photo all wrong
ForumRunner_20141012_223058.jpg

ForumRunner_20141012_223114.jpg

ForumRunner_20141012_223123.jpg

The repair party. shorty is jacked up to the right there.
ForumRunner_20141012_223132.jpg

He is a steel fabricator by trade, made solid control arms that week nights after work, went back to the spot the next weekend and did it again with no damage "just to show it who's boss".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back