Bush mechanics and gnarly trails

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathand22

Reaction score
I posted this in the other Wheeney crk thread but thought it may be easier to find for others and we could start a thread up on how others get them selves out of sticky situations.

Our day Trip to Wheeney Creek and Gees arm south Turned out to be an eventful day to say the least.

First we met at the servo and when i turned in i lost first and second gear? after leaving the servo i lost all gear changes, turned out a bolt from the linkage on the box had all but fallen out.
A few minutes to pop it back in and tighten it up we were off.

we get to the start of the trail and its on, this track has steep descents and climbs with big rocky washed out steps and holes, straight away it obvious we know its going to be a long day with getting out to pick lines and guide each other through.

After a few kms the trails is getting more and more interesting and challenging, even the chicken track are hard as Samcubus found out.
We get to a short sharp hill climb and there are four lines from 40" tyres and twin locked comp stuff to a line that looked like the unlocked D22 could take.
I chose the one next to the D22's line and reached the top when i got out the D22 had just been held up in a wombat hole near the top.
Sam chose to go back and have another go, he gets lined up and gives it a little right foot starts to climb, bounces from one rut into a hole and BANG!! both tyres pointing toward each other and the BRAND new "heavy-duty" tie rod has snapped and the car is in a crap spot.

So we break out the winch to secure the car from rolling back down the hill while we try and do some bush mechanics.
I remembered seeing a pic of a ring spanner being used as a fix for just this problem.
Turns out Jayson has just the ring spanner we need.

and its enough to get it into place using the existing ball joint ends to secure it so we could then slowly and steadily limp the D22 out, with allot of winching.

BUT thats not all, before we could begin our winching journey Sam didnt see a tree behind him and SMASH got the tail gate and smashed the glass on the canopies rear lifting door.

after a slow trip out to get to the tar we meet up with a guy that none of us new that had brought out a complete tie rod assembly from over 1.5hrs away,
Sam put out a call on a Facebook site for anyone that had a tie rod and would be willing to help.

What a legend this guy was, he came out after work and totally out of his way to help out a complete stranger, left us with the part after helping to put it in refused any money on a promise from Sam that he would replace the part and grab him a case of cans.
What a legend!!

Sam got the part and drove home in a safe car with no probs.

Hahaha that's awesome. What a day, I should have thought of that in Bathurst.
I have to say I ran into a guy who helped me out for 3 days and I had to force money onto him to take it and would only accept enough to cover fuel. Impressive.

That is an awesome story. I love this kind of stuff. How's that guy bringing the part. Damn fake book is useful.

Hey Nath

I am sure you remember this day, first time I went out with you. So cut the chase. We all met up at South Nowra Maccas to tackle Yalway - so this is my 5th time out in yalwal with the D22 and never had a problem.

So 2 hours in the tracks - I encountered an issue - were both wheees are facing each other. Yes, snapped tie rod. Nath helped to get me up to a flatter ground - using chicken wire and extension rod -the final fix was 2 bolts welded to hold the snapped tie rod together and this helped me home dirving max of 80km/hr - on this day I still have this tie rod hanging up in the shed.

Attachments

• 482403_10151472610506589_637789238_n.jpg
    482403_10151472610506589_637789238_n.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 947039_10151472610186589_1200267189_n (1).jpg
    947039_10151472610186589_1200267189_n (1).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 576689_10151472610126589_385297045_n (1).jpg
    576689_10151472610126589_385297045_n (1).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 135
Yep i remember that day Raff and we were talking about it yesterday when Sam snapped his.

here is one of the panel fix ups i had to do on the track after getting a tiny little rock in my tyre??

Side step had to be removed, inner guard had to be rescued and the trusty claw hammer had to do a little panel beating, then i had to cut up a few conduit clamps to use as washers to secure the bottom of the guard where it had torn big holes around the original bolts.

this seems to a be a common thing for me but here is another damaged front guard from catching a rock mid flight between a bolder and my guard.

the trusty claw hammer came out again for the temp repair.

Hey Nath

I am sure you remember this day, first time I went out with you. So cut the chase. We all met up at South Nowra Maccas to tackle Yalway - so this is my 5th time out in yalwal with the D22 and never had a problem.

So 2 hours in the tracks - I encountered an issue - were both wheees are facing each other. Yes, snapped tie rod. Nath helped to get me up to a flatter ground - using chicken wire and extension rod -the final fix was 2 bolts welded to hold the snapped tie rod together and this helped me home dirving max of 80km/hr - on this day I still have this tie rod hanging up in the shed.

im starting to see a common occurrence with this thread.
Must be Siri and not you Nath lol

yeah if i had a bigger hemorrhoid phone i would be able to use it for all the panel beating instead of the claw hammer i could just bash it in with my hemorrhoid!!

I was trying to find pics of Mike's ARB rear bar fix after he slammed the tree at Lithgow on the last big forum trip up there.

Mike got any pics?

If someone has 2 d22 ball joint ends i could have a go at making a non adjustable emergency tie rod assembly..would just need a total length and the ball joint ends...if anyone is interested let me know

Hey Nath

Nice fix.. :) So you just roll around with a welder and some of the right size / thread bolts in the back?

What else is in your "I can fix anything kit?"

Nice fix.. :) So you just roll around with a welder and some of the right size / thread bolts in the back?

What else is in your "I can fix anything kit?"

no that was done with some jumper leads and two batteries connected together to create a 24v temp welder, you just need two sets of jumper leads and a low amp set of welding rods

no that was done with some jumper leads and two batteries connected together to create a 24v temp welder, you just need two sets of jumper leads and a low amp set of welding rods

Well done, learn something everyday

here is how to do it if ever you get stuck.
after the weekend im going to start carrying welding rods all the time in my tool bag

Latest posts

Back