Best Diesel engines and why

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna jump on the factory built truck band wagon, projects are largely over rated and often problematic, if your earning a living from it don't stuff around with something that may or may not work well and have ongoing issues.

I'm gonna jump on the factory built truck band wagon, projects are largely over rated and often problematic, if your earning a living from it don't stuff around with something that may or may not work well and have ongoing issues.

The project is only to tow my toys, ( fx Holden, and my 35' boat)

The project is only to tow my toys, ( fx Holden, and my 35' boat)

Fair Nuff then. If you dont need it that often maybe a big Petrol V8 would be better value.

If your not on a budget then your cummins duramax are good options. Other good engines have been mentioned in the thread but will be much harder to get hold of and more expensive.

I'm looking at a diesel because I always have access to fuel that way.

I'm not wanting to spend big $$$$$$ on European conversions. I can get cheaper components out of the states, but I'm after others opinions.

Thanks for the replays though.

Big cummims 5.5L or the V8 diesel 4.5 cruiser engine swap and you'll be laughing mate! Amarok 2L diesel because displacement isn't important anymore... LOL Europeans for ya

the conversions you're looking at, if you dont do it yourself are 50k propositions... with the price of the car on top you could pretty much buy a 200 series or a silverado/dodge ram...

the conversions you're looking at, if you dont do it yourself are 50k propositions... with the price of the car on top you could pretty much buy a 200 series or a silverado/dodge ram...

We can all pickup engine and transmission packages for less that $10k.

Getting an engineer involved while still at the planning stage removes all grey legalities, and you won't pay more than $2k for their services.

you won't get a duramax and gearbox for less than $30k for just the engine last I checked, it won't fit in a D22 as well, 6.5L won't fit, why not get a mike vine ball bearing turbo power up?

pretty much all the good big diesel engines won't fit a D22.

I didnt realise your doing this in a D22. My Bad.

I Have to agree with 180degrees you'll battle getting any of the big diesel's into the engine bay. Well legally anyway (anythings possible!). There a tight fit in the GU engine bay and their much bigger.

I don't know you situation but if i had to tow 4.5T regularly and over a long distance id be wanted something factory not convertered. Conversions (I've done one) are fun but not always the most practical things in the real world. Always some kind of issue.

towing 4.5t with a smallish Isuzu truck would prob be worth looking into. All factory built and warranted. No legal issues. I think most of them have about 5L turbo diesel 4 bangers. Prob not huge HP numbers but would pull stumps all day no probs

^^ Exactly! Thread is turning into a macho, bullshit thing. Better question- forget the engine, with 4.5 tonnes behind. "What is the best vehicle to use." Power to tow is one thing but there is no escaping the law of physics. You need a heavy tow vehicle for what you plan to do.

Ford powerstroke 7.2 v8 turbo diesel. That's where my money would be. C15 cats are good too but that's probably more than you're looking for lol.

Another thought, bit left of field tho. Iveco has just released the 4x4 dual cab daily, would be well worth a look. See heaps of iveco daily cab chassis pulling massive 5 th wheelers. I spent 10 years working for iveco and the daily range is pretty good. They released a 180hp dual cab only 2wd while I was still with them, bloody rocket! I think the 4x4 variant they have released has even more stick, and they are available in auto as far as I know which would tick boxes for full time towing.

I didnt realise your doing this in a D22. My Bad.

I Have to agree with 180degrees you'll battle getting any of the big diesel's into the engine bay. Well legally anyway (anythings possible!). There a tight fit in the GU engine bay and their much bigger.

It's not going into a D22.

Specs..

MODEL
55S17W CAB CHASSIS
55S17W DUAL CAB
ENGINE
IVECO FIC 3.0 litre Turbo Diesel 170 hp/125 kW

TRANSMISSION
6 speed overdrive manual

WHEELBASE
3.40 m

PAYLOAD CAPACITY
Up to 2655 Kg

TOWING CAPACITY
Up to 3500 Kg

GVM
Up to 5.2 tonnes

FUEL CAPACITY
90 L

EMISSION LEVEL
EEV

24 Speed!!
The Daily 4 x 4 offers the best combination of payload and off-road performance in the toughest conditions. Built on a solid steel truck chassis, it comes with permanent all wheel drive with three available differential locks (front, rear, and central), 24 forward and 4 reverse gear ratios. There is also the option of selecting the first synchronised reduction (half speed) with the vehicle in motion. The Daily 4 x 4 is also fitted with parabolic suspension with a live front axle to cushion the shocks of road surfaces.

Looks like I can get my hands on a '08 6.7 cummins with a 6speed really cheap, so that's the way I'm going.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Latest posts

Back