Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the lack of "cobwebs" is a benefit, there's one for your list. :)

I could probably have achieved that through constant use of Chemtech, or some other injector cleaner, or the diesel equivalent of a water injection module.

I generally drive fairly sedately and don't run the engine hard, giving it plenty of opportunity to build up muck inside, which it seems hasn't happened.

I guess a strip-down of my engine would be more conclusive, although removing the post-intercooler hose and using an inspection cam might be a cheaper way of taking a peek. Next time I get the opportunity to buy an inspection cam I might just do that, and then we can take a look and know for sure!

I still put some in, maybe every 3rd or 4th tank. Been mixing up towing, city and highway lately so it's hard to be even close to accurate on mileage.

What I can say is that when I was out with Beergutz testing the fuel rail pressure on my vehicle compared to his, I tramped it hard and it didn't seem to blow out any cobwebs - so either there weren't any, or the spider inside is stronger than I think!

Funny you say the above regarding "cobwebs", my brother in law, about 18 months ago purchased one of the last Holden Rodeo's cant remeber year model, but the Colorado came out the same year, its a TD manual.

He bought it from an "old" bloke in south sydney who only putted about in it, new went over 2000rpm etc etc, perfect condition full service history with under 20000km.

On the trip home all good until the hit the F3 back to Newcastle, it just did not want to go, the first big hill you hit, would not holf 5th gear up it, he said it felt like the hand brake was on, so he dropped it back to 3rd and held it flat, after about 500 meters of this, it coughed, blew out more smoke than a 8-71 powered log truck, and took off, from there it just got better and better.

He still has it, runs great, good on fuel etc, I can only imagine it was so sooted up from the gentle drive tecnique of the old bloke, it had never got a chance to clear its throat, moral to the story, dont baby them too much, but dont flog them like a red haired step son either.

mix ratio of "splash a bit in there" and just on the last of the 4 liters of fuch marine 2 stroke oil. have run caltex 2T before.

Ok.....

wanna see results on here now...

mileage figures...
injector pumps still like new after 200k????
db readings on engine clatter...before and after
piston/ combustion chamber deposits...less or more?
emissions output...before and after
performance figures....before and after....hh hmm....dynographs only!..no wank factor
DP filter condition if so equiped
costs...worth it or not?,
and anything else...

:cheers!:

Jim, I've discovered that the fuel itself also contributes to things like clatter and obviously economy.

Someone on this forum mentioned that BP Ultimate made their injectors quieter. Generally I'm a skeptic, but I'm also willing to try stuff out.

I'm on my third tank of BP now and surprise surprise my cold-engine clatter is reduced. It's at similar levels to when I'm using Shell diesel and adding 2-stroke to the fuel.

I wonder what will happen if I add 2-stroke to BP Ultimate? Since I've already tried adding 2-stroke to diesel, I don't have any qualms doing it, so I'm going to experiment further.

Castrol Activ 2T seems to be the better oil to add - as I've observed previously, Valvoline just didn't seem to change anything.

My problem is that I can't fill every single tank with the same brand of fuel. We went to Wombeyan caves and the only servo open at the time in Goulbourn near the turnoff was a Mobil (which is probably going to be a 7-Eleven or Liberty or something soon). This inconsistency in fuel supply - now that I KNOW the fuels are different between suppliers (and let's not talk about levels of biodiesel) - is going to make any accurate study of the effects of 2-stroke - particularly some of the figures you're asking for - quite difficult.

If I'd been consistently using 2-stroke - and I haven't - then examining deposits and fuel pump condition would be valid, but I'm afraid that my vehicle doesn't get consistent fuel supplies or consistent use. One day it's carting the shopping home, the next we're hauling our caravan up the Great Dividing Range. However, I would not object to removing the intercooler outlet pipe and having an inspection camera inserted into the intake manifold for examination of the cylinders, that'd be an interesting exercise.

In the long term (and I'm talking years) we might be able to graph some influence of 2-stroke over not using it. I don't think there's a major impact - looking at my fuel consumption chart, there's about a 1LPHK drop every time I use it (roughly, could be as low as 0.7LPHK and as high as 1.5LPHK, variations also caused by fuel, weather, mood, traffic etc etc). If that average gives me a saving of 4 litres per tank (say) then for the expense of 300ml of oil (about $3.30) I'm saving abut $6, or a net saving of $3.

Is that worth it? Maybe, over a hundred thousand kilometres it is, because any multiplication in that order of magnitude is going to look good.

But on a day-to-day basis the addition of 2-stroke doesn't give an enormous benefit and the amount of doubt as to its actual beneficial effect(s) would negate its justification.

Would I recommend using 2-stroke? NO. I'd say (and if you're going to quote this, quote it entirely) that IF you're contemplating it, the decision is yours - but the apparent benefits don't justify its usage, but using it doesn't appear to cause any damage IN MY EXPERIENCE.

I will be using up the last of the 2-stroke that I have and will probably not bother with it in the future, because the effort of doing so - even if I'm saving a couple of bucks per tank - isn't worth it (for me).

Jim, I've discovered that the fuel itself also contributes to things like clatter and obviously economy.

Someone on this forum mentioned that BP Ultimate made their injectors quieter. .....
a lot of the noise if from ignition lag. ie the time between fuel being sprayed in and igniting. more lag it has the more the fuel mixes and combusts all in one go making the noise.
higher the cetane the less ignition lag it has.
last time i looked a lot of the fuel in AU was below spec for a lot of newer (especially common rail) engines. now there a few that have come out with "special" fuel thats actually up to spec.

That's highly likely, Tweake. And more, the chemical change made by the addition of 2-stroke oil to diesel may only be a mild increase in combustibility (something that may look like a cetane-rating boost) and THAT is the effect, rather than an apparent lubrication of the injectors by the oil.

That being the case it may be that there is some efficiency benefit to be gained by adding 2-stroke to ANY brand of diesel, but until there's a significant benefit proven (which I'm just unable to do myself) then I can't recommend the use of 2-stroke in diesel. What I can do, though, is state that there doesn't appear to be anything detrimental happening to my engine through its use.

I'll be able to be 100% certain of that when I stick an inspection cam into my intake and look at the piston crowns, valves and bores ... and when my fuel pump gets a looking at, which at the moment it's definitely not in need of because despite using 2-stroke in my fuel from time to time, the pump is performing flawlessly.

a lot of the noise if from ignition lag. ie the time between fuel being sprayed in and igniting. more lag it has the more the fuel mixes and combusts all in one go making the noise.
higher the cetane the less ignition lag it has.
last time i looked a lot of the fuel in AU was below spec for a lot of newer (especially common rail) engines. now there a few that have come out with "special" fuel thats actually up to spec.

we should be bloody well:rant: getting the normal fuel to spec and the "special" one at a higher rating not paying extra to get the spec we should be getting in the normal mix.

Ok then...to sum it up,

there seems to be a huge discrepancy between the last cople of findings and thr "believers" that "I put the oil in my tank and now its runs quiet as a petrol motor and has 25 more Hp, etc,etc".

I'm going to fill up tomorrow with BP again and I'll put in 300ml of 2-stroke. We'll see how it behaves.

I'm absolutely convinced that there's a marginal improvement. I'm not convinced it's enough to bother about.

slow day there krankin?

No not particularly.......just for some reason I thought I posted a revolutionary finding on the use of two stroke oil the day before but nothing here...like i said dementia or old age has taken hold

:cheers!:

I did it a few times, and the boys at work commented how much quieter it was. Nil performance gain, or anything else othre than maybe 20% less clatter. Just remin dd me I need fuel tomorrow and will stick some more in.

Back