3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Permatex that Old Tony mentioned is the go and yes smear the goo both sides of the plate, incidently I got my plate from the same place as you, good gear and fits nice, will never have any problems.
Don't forget to do all the vacuum re routing etc as per instructions as it ALL needs to be done for best results, and so the engine shuts down properly.

Just finished the mod. Easy and very worth while, I'll be recommending this to a few mates. Couldn't fault the seller on eBay for the plate too, cheep fast shipping what more do u want really :)

One question regarding the swirl block off, I'm reading its not a necessity but optional, has there been any definitive yes or no on this yet? Also is unplugging the red plug the way to go?

Cheers guys

Tweake claims it helps but I did both and my ZD30 ran worse so I reverted it back...

I noticed a difference in my previous YD25 D22 but not in this one.

No its diffferent apparently on the yd25 because the turbo controls the egr to some degree as tweake said in either this thread or the other sticky thread on egr.

Also im pretty sure if you block the egr pipe you must reroute the vac lines. But i dont know whats involved for the yd25.

hi, if the egr pipe was blanked but the valves and soilnoids not changed would this affect the running ?
stu
yes. without changing how the butterfly operates means the engine gets less compressible volume (ie air) and reduced temp to ignite the fuel and the butterfly causes throttling losses.

is this the same on the yd25 engine ?
stu

the yd25 has a different setup and is not the subject of this thread. others have done a different write up for those.

Hey just a question about egr blocking. I blocked mine yesterday, and noticed while driving the car today that the peak boost level has dropped about 1psi. Now before i fitted my exhaust the boost gauge read about max 14.5 then after the exhaust it went upto max about 15.5-16psi and since blocking the egr its back down to 14.5psi max.

Just wondering what would have caused this, whether its a small boost leak where the plate was put in or a leak at one of the vac lines when they were rerouted or because i didnt unplug the electrical swirl solenoid plug. What do you guys rekon could be the most likely reason?

When i got home from work i nipped up the egr pipe to intake manifold bolts again but not sure if that fixed it. (where the blocking plate was put). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bart

Last edited:
sounds like you have a leak, either on the exhaust side or intake side.
the egr pipes are prone to cracking.

Ah ok the part where i blocked doesnt seem to be leaking so will have to check all the other joints and then the rest of the pipe. Thanks tweake

Hey tweake what exactly should i look for when trying to find a leak in the egr? Can soapy water be used to help find the leak? And if theres no leak on the egr pipe cause the soapy water be used on other stuff like vac lines? Turbo piping etc? Just going to have a look for any causes of the leak.

Bart

first place i would look is the egr pipe at the turbo end. they tend to crack at the weld where it joins the bit bolted to the manifold.
right pain taking the covers off to get close to it.

first place i would look is the egr pipe at the turbo end. they tend to crack at the weld where it joins the bit bolted to the manifold.
right pain taking the covers off to get close to it.

I used soapy water on all the egr joints from exhaust side to the intake joint that i blocked off and it was leaking at the lower flange where the cast alloy egr pipe bolts to the cast steel box on the intake side of the motor. So i put some gaske silicone on the gasket and put it back in then let it dry for an hour then nipped the bolts up and then used the soapy water to test it again and it wasnt leaking. However this morning on the way to work its still not going any higher then 14.5psi :/

Bart

mmmm......not to sure on that. make sure the butterfly hoses are done right.
the intake hoses are not leaking under boost ? especially if they have oil on them they can start to leak.

mmmm......not to sure on that. make sure the butterfly hoses are done right.
the intake hoses are not leaking under boost ? especially if they have oil on them they can start to leak.

Yeah the 2 hoses that join the intake pipe between the turbo and the intake have an oil mist on the outside. Would this cause a leak if theres oil on the inside of the pipe? Should i replace the hoses?

Also if i was to block the egr at the exhaust side of the system. What is the minimum or ideal thickness and type of material to use for the plate? Ie stainless? Ally? 3mm? 5mm? Thicker?

Im considering blocking the entire egr system out all togethor at the exhaust to eliminate any possible leaks that i cant find with soapy water will the car is idling.

Bart

Last edited:
Was talking to a mate last night and he suggested that the drop in max boost pressure is possibly because blokcing the egr system would have lowered the exhaust gas temp which is what spools the turbo so he said by reducing the egt the turbo doesnt have to spool as much to to produce the same power as before so this dropped the boost down..

What do you guys rekon? Could this be the reason? Just i checked every egr joint and weld with soapy water both a normal idle and with the heat switch on (just to make the leak easier to see). And i did find a leak in a egr joint so i removed the gasket and used the same permatex gasket silicone that i used on the blocking plate. Then after it dried i rechecked the leak and it doesnt appear to be leaking anymore.

I then checked all the intake hoses (as suggested by Tweake) between air box, turbo and intake, cleaned off any oil mist then reconnected them up making sure the clamps are tight. There was a split in the smaller rubber hose although its where the clamp goes but on the outside edge of the clamp(away from the centre of the hose) so im not sure if it can even leak from this split.

I also checked and double check all my vac lines that got rearranged when doing the egr. And the vac line where my boost guage is Tee'd into. And cant find any leaks anywhere not unless they dont leak when on idle and only on boost.

So yeah any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bart

Back